Things I want to say (and ask) about American food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 03:53 PM by Slowminded.)
RE: Things I want to say (and ask) about American food
(26-11-2013 03:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 03:25 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Where did you have it?

Yeah, it's called shopska in Bulgaria too, but when I said "here" I meant Serbia.

Bulgaria, long, long time ago, on vacation with my parents. I remember you had to exchange a certain amount of currency for Bulgarian money and we ended up with so much leftover money that we ate caviar for days - there was some golden, large caviar that was to die for.

My mom made Shopska salad for years after we got back home, we all loved it.

Bulgaria is still cheap compered to most European countries, but not as much as it used to be.

Can you buy white cheese in US? Or did you use feta cheese ?

From time to time I get a hold of some real veggies , homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers... and real eggs too. Uncomparable to the stuff from supermarkets.
Then I wonder what the hell is that shit we eat on regular basis.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2013, 03:49 PM
(26-11-2013 03:47 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 03:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Bulgaria, long, long time ago, on vacation with my parents. I remember you had to exchange a certain amount of currency for Bulgarian money and we ended up with so much leftover money that we ate caviar for days - there was some golden, large caviar that was to die for.

My mom made Shopska salad for years after we got back home, we all loved it.

Bulgaria is still cheap compered to most European countries, but not as much as it used to be.

From time to time I get a hold of some real veggies , homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers... and real eggs too. Uncomparable to the stuff from supermarkets.
Then I wonder what the hell is that shit we it on regular basis.

I grow my own stuff these days. So much better. Smile

I wasn't in the US back then but in Germany, and yes, we could get any type of cheese. You can get most any type of cheese now in the US too.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-11-2013, 03:54 PM
(26-11-2013 03:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 03:47 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Bulgaria is still cheap compered to most European countries, but not as much as it used to be.

Then I wonder what the hell is that shit we it on regular basis.

I grow my own stuff these days. So much better. Smile

I wasn't in the US back then but in Germany, and yes, we could get any type of cheese. You can get most any type of cheese now in the US too.
That's great. I believe there is a special kind of satisfaction in growing your own food.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
26-11-2013, 04:01 PM
(26-11-2013 03:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 03:02 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  What kind of food does he like? My wife and I go to the palces below often.

No 9 Park, Petit Robert.

In Cambridge - T.W Food and Craige on Main.

Thanks! He likes pretty much everything, although he's not really a meat lover.
I'll call him on Skype later and ask him if he's tried anything else.

He can also try these.

Les Zygomates
Eastern Standard
Menton
Sip
Marlieve
Bronwyn’s

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-11-2013, 04:03 PM
(26-11-2013 03:54 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 03:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  I grow my own stuff these days. So much better. Smile

That's great. I believe there is a special kind of satisfaction in growing your own food.

Don't get me started.

seriously, ask Dom.......don't get me started. Dodgy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
26-11-2013, 04:12 PM
McDonald's is awful. I have the horrible schedule/will eat anything if it's quick kinda lifestyle, and I won't even eat McDonald's.

I have a massive sweet tooth and grew up in a family that lived mostly on M&Ms and Pepsi, and I can't eat buttercream or some other desserts people in this country seem to love. I like sweets but I prefer ones that have some kind of actual flavor. Eating sugar right out of the bag doesn't appeal to me. Dark chocolate is my favorite sweet. There is something to the sweet and salty combination, but bacon doesn't belong on my dessert. Caramel and sea salt, though.. that's another matter altogether.

Pretzels= yuck, for the most part, though I'll chow down on them if I'm having a few beers.

Roasted marshmallows= delicious, though I suspect we enjoy them at least partially for nolstagic reasons.

Peanut butter = meh. I Iike all natural, crunchy pb on toast and on sandwiches but that's about it. Most of the crap brands out there don't resemble peanuts anymore, in taste or nutritional value.

Yeah. Our taste buds are conditioned to crap. I have a pretty healthy diet compared to most Americans I know, and I think most people from outside the US would laugh at me for thinking I eat even remotely healthy. I don't eat red meat, and try to avoid processed, deep-fried, or sugary stuff. I do still drink soda and too much alcohol though. And I love me my coffee with sugar and cream.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
26-11-2013, 04:23 PM
(26-11-2013 04:03 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 03:54 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  That's great. I believe there is a special kind of satisfaction in growing your own food.

Don't get me started.

seriously, ask Dom.......don't get me started. Dodgy

Have right at it! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-11-2013, 04:28 PM
-buttercream as in buttercream frosting is sublime on a cake.

-Oreos - Meh. There are so many better cookies in the world.

-mac and cheese - Done right, it is scrumptious. Comfort food. The poor man's fettucine alfredo.

-salad - Fresh veggies and a nice dressing, main course or side. Always good.

-Pretzels - Another one of those things that is wonderful when done right.

-Peanut butter - The staff of life. Seriously. I grew up on this and still eat it in PB and jam (not jelly!) sandwiches, on toast or English muffins. Also PB cookies, Reese's PB Cups.

-Marshmallows - Fun food, no substance. Good in cocoa.

-Worcestershire sauce - Can't make gravy without it.

-Ranch dressing - Nasty shit.

-Pancakes - With butter and maple syrup - food of the gods.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't know what your brother is talking about, America has infinite variety. We have the whole worlds cuisine here. Granted most of it is to satisfy american tastes over the years but still some hold to tradition. I scarcely think there is anything that is a uniquely american food, we are all a bunch of immigrants after all.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
26-11-2013, 04:45 PM
(26-11-2013 04:01 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  He can also try these.

Les Zygomates
Eastern Standard
Menton
Sip
Marlieve
Bronwyn’s

Thank you! Smile

(26-11-2013 04:31 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I don't know what your brother is talking about, America has infinite variety. We have the whole worlds cuisine here. Granted most of it is to satisfy american tastes over the years but still some hold to tradition. I scarcely think there is anything that is a uniquely american food, we are all a bunch of immigrants after all.

Well, I wasn't talking about Chinese, Mexican, Indian or Greek restaurants in America Tongue
Some things are quite American I'd say, mac and cheese, peanut butter sandwiches, s'mores, hamburgers, fried chicken wings, plain steaks, etc. My brother actually complained about eating steaks or chicken with potatoes seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-