Things I want to say (and ask) about American food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 05:02 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Things I want to say (and ask) about American food
Holy crap, I want to just take you and cook for you (haha). You have so much you need to experience!

(26-11-2013 01:55 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I am also amazed by how many recipes there are combining very sweet things with very salty ones.

It works surprisingly well in some cases, but it's not a flavor combination I usually pursue.

Quote: Oreos. Seriously, what's up with the craze?

you do understand that Oreos are worth NOTHING without a glass of milk, right? (Sucks for people who can't drink milk Sad ) I haven't had Oreos in years, but the awesomeness of dunking them in milk till they become near-soggy and then eating them...ahh so good. Oreos are the only (reasonable price) "factory" pre-made cookies I actually like enough to buy. Otherwise I prefer to bake them myself.

Quote: He tried mac and cheese recently and he was like "I had mac and cheese today. You know what it is? It's what it says. Pasta and cheese. Just that. Seriously. What the hell."

Well, Mac and Cheese usually sucks, but it can be made to be quite amazing. Especially "southern" Mac and Cheese. Adding bread crumbs is always a nice touch.

Quote: Anyway, here's a question. Do you guys eat salads as a main dish or an appetizer or something?

Totally depends on the person/family. I grew up eating salads pretty often, but that is because my mom made home made meals ONLY and we never had pre-prepared food unless it was fast food (maybe a few times a year) or eating out (special occasions).

Quote: And finally, here's a list of things I see in recipes all the time and I have no idea what they taste like:
-Pretzels
Do you mean baked pretzels or snack pretzels? Neither are anything special IMO.

Quote: -Peanut butter (and you always eat it with sweet things? Isn't that thing salty?)
This is where things get serious. No Peanut butter? Really? Peanut Butter (well, really peanuts) is like a GOD food. You can do so much with it. PB&Chocolate Fudge, Peanut Butter Fudge, Some Pad Thai recipes, Peanut sauce, PB&J, Vanilla Ice Cream with Peanut Butter swirls. Please find a way to get your hands on some PB Big Grin.

Quote: -Marshmallows
Nothing too special, most notably used for rice krispy treats (very good, but I've probably had less than 20 times in my life), smores (a must experience thing for everybody), roasted marshmallows, and lucky charms cereal!

Quote: -Worcestershire sauce
A very useful sauce, but I find it hard to get a version that I like because I don't eat seafood and most of them contain fish. Good for meats and stir fries.

Quote: -Ranch dressing
Warning, there is a whole bunch of completely crap tasting ranch out there, especially the cheap generic stuff. I love ranch as a veggie or fry dip. If you ever try it, just don't get the cheapest one. The medium priced ones are fine.

Quote:
-Pancakes (and what's with the huge chunk of butter on top of them? Ew.)
Pancakes..You need to have them made for you to understand. They aren't exactly like bread, but they aren't exactly like cake either. I can't imagine anybody disliking all types of pancakes.

Honestly though, what is American food? I thought we just stole things from other place? Anyways, many dishes can be prepared in just absolutely amazing ways, and I wish you could experience them if you haven't been able to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
26-11-2013, 05:25 PM
(26-11-2013 04:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  you do understand that Oreos are worth NOTHING without a glass of milk, right? (Sucks for people who can't drink milk Sad ) I haven't had Oreos in years, but the awesomeness of dunking them in milk till they become near-soggy and then eating them...ahh so good. Oreos are the only (reasonable price) "factory" pre-made cookies I actually like enough to buy. Otherwise I prefer to bake them myself.

I know, I know, but there are about 3247928 better alternatives for milk dunking here Tongue

http://agorazoellinika.files.wordpress.c....png?w=640

http://papadopoulou.gr/products/biscuits

It's no wonder Greeks rarely buy Oreos. Its taste is not so... "traditional" for us. They're also quite expensive compared to the ones we have.

(26-11-2013 04:58 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This is where things get serious. No Peanut butter? Really? Peanut Butter (well, really peanuts) is like a GOD food. You can do so much with it. PB&Chocolate Fudge, Peanut Butter Fudge, Some Pad Thai recipes, Peanut sauce, PB&J, Vanilla Ice Cream with Peanut Butter swirls. Please find a way to get your hands on some PB Big Grin.

Well, I have decided to buy some and try some of these things! Although it's quite expensive here Undecided

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
26-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I won't even touch Oreos if there is no milk.

Is moving an option? Tongue

I'm happy that you will try some new things. Personally I gravitate towards Asian foods more than other types Smile.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
26-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Peanut butter is amazing. FACT. It's... peanuts. Ground peanuts. So... it tastes like peanuts.

Worcestershire sauce is also amazing. FACT. Anchovy and tamarind being the main flavours there.

Mac & cheese is baked pasta dressed with cheese. There are therefore as many variations as there are types of pasta and types of cheese combined...

Pancakes are an excuse for syrup. That's real syrup, mind, which is harder to find the farther you get from the Northeast USA... Though, really, pancakes are just leavened crêpes, which there's probably some sort of equivalent to in Greece.

Now, I'm not an American either. But I was born and raised fifty kilometres from the border. So there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
26-11-2013, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 06:13 PM by Cardinal Smurf.)
(26-11-2013 01:55 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Lately I've been searching for awesome recipes and I mainly look on American websites because, of course, they are many. Here are some things I want to say about them.

I honestly do not understand why every single one of the sweet ones I have tried are so extremely sweet. I recently tried making buttercream (which is something we definitely don't make here) for some cupcakes and it turned so nauseatingly sweet that I had to throw it away. Even with less sugar it was simply too heavy. And that was the end of my short affair with buttercream.

I am also amazed by how many recipes there are combining very sweet things with very salty ones. I'm not sure if that's a thing there, but things like bacon jam and chocolate covered potato chips don't sound so nice, even if they are praised as the tastiest thing ever.

Oreos. Seriously, what's up with the craze? Compared to the ones we have here, it's a wonder they are still on the market. I'm pretty sure I've tasted much richer cookies and not so hard as to injure my gums every time I eat them.

In other news, my brother recently went to Boston and he's been there for quite some time. He did enjoy some burgers and donuts, but compared to our cuisine (I'm Greek btw), he plainly told me that the food there sucks Tongue
He tried mac and cheese recently and he was like "I had mac and cheese today. You know what it is? It's what it says. Pasta and cheese. Just that. Seriously. What the hell."

Anyway, here's a question. Do you guys eat salads as a main dish or an appetizer or something? I'm asking everyone, not just Americans Wink I'm curious because I have never seen any salad as a side dish in any movie and in my country it's almost unthinkable to serve a meal without a salad in the middle of the table. Oh, and we also don't consider anything with mayonnaise, tuna, cheese and stuff a "salad".

And finally, here's a list of things I see in recipes all the time and I have no idea what they taste like:

-Pretzels

-Peanut butter (and you always eat it with sweet things? Isn't that thing salty?)

-Marshmallows

-Worcestershire sauce

-Ranch dressing

-Pancakes (and what's with the huge chunk of butter on top of them? Ew.)

This is the end of my disjointed and possibly offensive post Angel

I'm in California and born and raised here. I was raised on junk food and fast (junk) food, as well as some typical American home cooking. Some of it I like, some not so much. I'm still trying to decide if my love of non-American foods is due to their novelty or because much of American cuisine can be boring. Still not sure.

You being from Greece, I can sort of understand why American cuisine may come off as less than spectacular. I think some of the only foods from here that interest me are Southern, and mostly those inspired by other countries (like gumbo and jambalaya). I personally love the small amount of Mediterranean foods I've managed to try here, and I'm sure most of it isn't exactly traditional.

As to your comment on salad, from what I've read it seems the American concept of "salad" has diverged a bit from the rest of the world. Our typical meal salad is about half filled with some leafy green. It's OK for me, but I honestly prefer salads without it. I read the a more typical salad in Greece will be more similar to something like Tabouli. Is that so? more chopped vegetables and cheese with perhaps some oil? I much prefer salads like that. And I love feta, especially on salads, but it can be expensive here.

I used to love buttercream frosting (and almost anything sweet) when I was a kid. That has reduced with age considerably. I can't eat most frosting, except perhaps cream cheese or whipped cream. I still love milk chocolate, but I eat it a lot less. This Halloween I may have eaten only 2-3 bars. That's got to be a record for me.

Pretzels - I like them OK. Never been too excited about them. I much prefer them soft and freshly baked than the crunchy ones. The dough of the soft-baked pretzels is actually quite similar to a bagel, encrusted with salt crystals if desired.

Peanut Butter - I was raised in a peanut butter household. My mother would eat peanut butter and mashed bananas....alone...in a bowl...with a spoon. I liked this once. But that's too much for me. I have to take it easy with peanut butter, it can be quite rich. But I do like it. If you decide to try a Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich, I recommend doing it right or your first impression may be poor. Nice, soft wheat bread, crunchy peanut butter (smooth is OK too, but less interesting), and, most important, the right preserves: Knott's Berry Farm Boysenberry Preserves (with seeds!). Any other fruit spread risks being mediocre.

Mom also used to make sandwiches made with peanut butter and marshmallow cream (used in making fudge). Again, I liked this when I was a kid. I don't eat these today.

Worcestershire Sauce - a complex, rich flavor that works in many, but not all, situations. A smoky, tangy and mildly sweet flavor, excellent for flavoring meat dishes.

Ranch dressing - This stuff has become too heavy even for me lately. I used to eat it a lot more in the past. We have found that it can make a tasty vegetable dip, but it's best when made from a packet of ranch dip mix added to a container of Greek Yogurt mixed with sour cream. The flavor is comparable, but quite different, to Tzatziki. This is still quite unlike ranch salad dressing made from buttermilk, which is much richer and creamier in texture and flavor.

Pancakes - best made fresh and at home. We do put exorbitant amounts of butter and syrup on ours. After eating mine with too much syrup, I am reminded again that I am no longer 12 years old. They are even better when topped with fresh fruit like strawberries or blackberries, or both. Or Knott's Berry Farm Boysenberry syrup (no, I don't work for them!).

If you visit America for the food, go to New Orleans so that your first impression will be a good one. Americans are known for eating some things simply because they grew up eating them as a kid, not necessarily because they are fine cuisine.

Also, I've heard it on good authority from some of my co-workers who were born and raised in India, that although many other nations accuse Americans of eating things that are overly sweet, that it's nothing compared to the sweet things that are eaten and drunk in India. Apparently there is a mango soda they like there that is so sweet most Americans gag when they try it. I may have to try it myself, since I love mango.

In the end though, I don't love any cuisine nearly as much as I love Asian.

Any time you try foods from another culture there can be a comfort zone you'll need to break through. I felt that way about kimchi once, now I love the stuff! But, my wife doesn't.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
26-11-2013, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 08:00 PM by Adrianime.)
OH, is buttercream frosting that disgusting frosting that comes on "bakery" children's Birthday Cakes in the store? The frosting that tastes like plastic? I've always hated that crap, it doesn't even taste sweet to me, just horrible. If you visit America come to Dick's burgers Wink. Seriously, I do like them. In Seattle we have Red Mill burgers too, which is awesome.
26-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Being from Canada, we share much of Americas cuisine, although I think the ethnic diversity here makes foreign cuisines much more common.

For me though, there are only a very few foods I consider "American". And I mean food, not marshmallows. The first that comes to mind is barbecue. A brisket, smoked Texas style, is about a American as it gets. It has all the great things my neighbours to the south have to offer. It is a loud, bold flavour. It's hearty, and a good barbecue chef is unashamed of the seasonings s/he uses. They are applied liberally in most cases, and they pack a punch. The best barbecue is made from the toughest cuts of meat. Cooked with patience, and anticipation. Barbecue has that attitude only Americans can pull off. It's ready when it's ready.

As far as sweets go.....I had tons of them when I was a kid. Oreos, marshmallows, shit, they even put marshmallows in breakfast cereal! The moment I became an independent adult, I began to change what I ate. Stopped with all that over sweet stuff, and now I can't stand it.

Awesome thread BTW. Love reading the different viewpoints from all over.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Oh, and McDonalds is repugnant filth.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I can't stand most of the foods mentioned in the OP (frosting, cookies, etc). Even as a kid, at birthday parties, i would scrape the frosting off the birthday cakes and just eat the cake.

I like pretzels though, but I liked them better when I was studying in Germany.

Oreos are gross, and I'm allergic to peanuts. Ranch dressing is kind of gross.

I don't like pancakes much.

As for salad, it depends on the meal. I have it as a main dish sometimes, with some chicken breast on top; or as a side dish, always with lots of chopped vegetables and cheese.

As for what you see in movies, I can't imagine having so many different courses at one meal. Like all these appetizers and then a salad and then a main course and then a dessert. I don't think I've ever bought a dessert at a restaurant, and it's not just because I don't like most sweets, it's because I already ate and don't want to eat anything else.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2013, 09:13 PM
(26-11-2013 06:47 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  OH, is buttercream frosting that disgusting frosting that comes on "bakery" children's Birthday Cakes in the store? The frosting that tastes like plastic? I've always hated that crap, it doesn't even taste sweet to me, just horrible. If you visit America come to Dick's burgers Wink. Seriously, I do like them. In Seattle we have Red Mill burgers too, which is awesome.

Good fucking god no! Shocking That shit is to buttercream frosting as McDonald's is to a 5-star restaurant.

You are a Philistine. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user