Things I want to say (and ask) about American food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
RE: Things I want to say (and ask) about American food
(08-01-2014 01:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 12:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  You know, me too. I can eat baklava, but I can't eat American frosting. I can't stand the sweetness of it. I don't know why that is. I have thrown things I bought and things that were baked and given to me out because I can't eat that sweet stuff. Well, I ate the cake part that wasn't touched by frosting, but the rest went in the trash.

Baklava - I enjoy it, although I can't eat a lot of it either.

I swear you people must be eating something that isn't actually butter cream frosting. Consider

Bakeries and grocery stores make frosting out of things that aren't butter (like vegetable shortening or margarine), yet they will call it butter cream (or buttercream or buttercreme).

I've tried it once at a cafe on a cupcake and once I tried making my own. Maybe it was too much sugar? I don't know.

I think the problem is when you combine sugar with a lot of fat. Even salty fatty foods can get nauseating when you eat too much.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Things I want to say (and ask) about American food
You know, there are cake frostings a that are not sickeningly sweet and have some decent flavor of their own: coconut caramel used on German chocolate, cream cheese frosting usually on carrot cake.

Also, the sweetness of buttercream doesn't compare to fondant. It's still not clear to me if fondant was actually intended to be eaten or strictly decorative.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
08-01-2014, 03:05 PM
The thing I noticed first is that even ham and cheese (for on bread) are sweet as fuck. That was a real shock to me and I just had to grill it to pass it.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
08-01-2014, 03:13 PM
(08-01-2014 01:26 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 01:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I swear you people must be eating something that isn't actually butter cream frosting. Consider

Bakeries and grocery stores make frosting out of things that aren't butter (like vegetable shortening or margarine), yet they will call it butter cream (or buttercream or buttercreme).

I've tried it once at a cafe on a cupcake and once I tried making my own. Maybe it was too much sugar? I don't know.

I think the problem is when you combine sugar with a lot of fat. Even salty fatty foods can get nauseating when you eat too much.

Use less. It is obviously very rich, so a little goes a long way.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user