Things People Say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2013 03:55 PM by ashleypersuasion.)
Star Things People Say
Last year when I became "out" with my Atheism I heard a lot of the same things from family and friends about it.

My mom said to me "You are going though a phase" Dodgy

A friend told me "No offense but has something bad happen in your life that you haven't told me about? is that why you don't have faith?" Dodgy

My dad said to me "Well it's better to believe in something, its dangerous to not have faith" Dodgy

I have tired numerous times to explain that I am not angry, or angry at their "God" because for one I don't even believe in him. I am not angry at the world either. I am not in some transitional phase about my faith. I simply expanded my knowledge about religions, the Bible, the Koran, Allah, God, Jesus, whatever. I soaked up lots of wonderful scientific facts of the universe and stars. Evolution. I've asked, questioned, I've read books. So on and so on and with that I then came to a conclusion for myself that religion doesn't fit. God doesn't fit. It doesn't fit. I am not the kind of person that can just take something with so many holes, inconsistencies, and illogical things and say I have faith in it. Thats just me. Rolleyes

What are somethings people in your life say you about you being an Atheist?

[Image: BMCz_10CEAAAG5S.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ashleypersuasion's post
31-07-2013, 03:59 PM
RE: Things People Say
Most common response to my atheism, "I'll pray for you".

Always a fun one.
[+] 3 users Like Regular_Joe's post
31-07-2013, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2013 04:03 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Those things -- which is why I don't talk much about my childhood. I don't want people to think I became an atheist simply because I hate or I'm angry with god or going through a phase...or being rebellious.

I know it's probably costed me some friendships, family members have completely forgotten I exist.

I think most people come to the atheist conclusion on their own. Now that might be changing...with more people being open about their atheism and raising children.

I still believe atheism is a journey. It just depends on how much you're wiling to over-look

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-07-2013, 04:00 PM
(31-07-2013 03:59 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  Most common response to my atheism, "I'll pray for you".

Always a fun one.

no one has said that one to me but they probably say it behind my back haha

31-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Depending on how republican and crazy christian the area you're living in seems, I've been accused of liking Satan and such. Even being suicidal, and both of those aren't even relatively associated to Atheism.

Bitches be cray.

I think the most popular sayings are of prayers and phases.

Oh well. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
31-07-2013, 05:32 PM
(31-07-2013 05:26 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Depending on how republican and crazy christian the area you're living in seems, I've been accused of liking Satan and such. Even being suicidal, and both of those aren't even relatively associated to Atheism.

Bitches be cray.

I think the most popular sayings are of prayers and phases.

Oh well. Tongue

lol Laughat

31-07-2013, 06:14 PM
No one's really said much to me. A coworker was curious about my view of what happens after death, but not in a judgmental way. Mostly I just get, "oh," and we move on. Sometimes I'd like it if people wanted to know a teensy bit more.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I get the "oh" and avoidance of the topic.

One friend said: "Oh, well, there are a lot of people like that".

Another: "Well, you are a good person."

Neither touched on the topic again.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-07-2013, 07:16 PM
(31-07-2013 06:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  I get the "oh" and avoidance of the topic.

One friend said: "Oh, well, there are a lot of people like that".

Another: "Well, you are a good person."

Neither touched on the topic again.

lmao at " well you are a good person"

01-08-2013, 06:20 AM
I have a friend who's also a non-believer that says "Bless you" after a sneeze. I asked him why he says it, and his response was that it's polite. I asked him what was polite about it, and just laughed.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel