Things People Say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 01:44 PM
RE: Things People Say
(01-08-2013 06:20 AM)eksyte Wrote:  I have a friend who's also a non-believer that says "Bless you" after a sneeze. I asked him why he says it, and his response was that it's polite. I asked him what was polite about it, and just laughed.

yeah doesn't that come from way, way back in ancient times when people actually thought the soul would escape when you sneezed ? lmao

[Image: BMCz_10CEAAAG5S.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM
(01-08-2013 01:44 PM)ashleypersuasion Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 06:20 AM)eksyte Wrote:  I have a friend who's also a non-believer that says "Bless you" after a sneeze. I asked him why he says it, and his response was that it's polite. I asked him what was polite about it, and just laughed.

yeah doesn't that come from way, way back in ancient times when people actually thought the soul would escape when you sneezed ? lmao

I dunno where the term came from, but I was told once it began (or became popular) around the black death. It wasn't the soul escaping with the sneeze (or so I was told) it was meant as a short prayer for their soul -- in case they die.

Now the funny one still done today -- is when someone is choking (or aspirating on liquid) and coughing..nurses still tell patients to raise their arms above their head -- which is total myth.

The idea behind it, is that the angels will carry you to heaven!

My husband always laughs!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 05:34 PM by multidaytim.)
my 'favorite' is when, at family gatherings, before eating, everyone circles around the table to sing the doxology and to watch to see if I sing along.
It has almost become tradition.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes multidaytim's post
01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
"it is just a phase of your life"
it fucking cranks me up!
"Being logical is just a phase? Please,just shut up! " is what i want to say,but my politeness wont let me

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
01-08-2013, 05:47 PM
(01-08-2013 05:12 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  "it is just a phase of your life"
it fucking cranks me up!
"Being logical is just a phase? Please,just shut up! " is what i want to say,but my politeness wont let me

LOL my sentiments exactly Bowing

I tried to get in depth about it with my mother but I swear it goes in one ear and out the other. When I am done saying my piece her come back is Bible this, Bible that. Dodgy

[Image: BMCz_10CEAAAG5S.jpg]
01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
My mom comes with the "its just a phase"
my dad comes up with "you and all those lousy scientists dont know how and why the big bang happened,therefore god did it"
he doesnt listen when i explain to him that what he says is illogical.
But now,i dont want to talk with him about god. I told both my parents that i respect their opinion, and they should respect mine. I dont try to push my reason down their troats,so they shouldnt force religion in me.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 01:46 PM by kingschosen.)
CONTENT REMOVED
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 09:23 PM by Jeffasaurus.)
(01-08-2013 03:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno where the term came from, but I was told once it began (or became popular) around the black death. It wasn't the soul escaping with the sneeze (or so I was told) it was meant as a short prayer for their soul -- in case they die.

Now the funny one still done today -- is when someone is choking (or aspirating on liquid) and coughing..nurses still tell patients to raise their arms above their head -- which is total myth.

The idea behind it, is that the angels will carry you to heaven!

My husband always laughs!

My mom always told us to raise our arms while choking. That was always really weird and uncomfortable–sitting at the dinner table, coughing uncontrollably with my arms straight up in the air. I've never heard the angels part before though. I thought it somehow related to relocating diaphragm pressure or the like.

I have had the same bless-you-after-sneezing-is-only-polite conversation with a coworker. I asked why don't we say it after other bodily functions like coughing. He had no answer.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]