Things in movies that bother me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Things in movies that bother me.
I love movies no matter how absurd the plot... If it entertains me I'm good. Sometimes however I come across things that bother me.

1. Movies where Santa is real
This one always get a me. You know, the one where a guy claims to be the real Santa, and he is... But the parents don't believe in him. So, how the hell were their kids getting presents every year?

2. Thinking out loud
You know the ones... Usually a detective alone in his office going over some evidence and he is speaking aloud what he is thinking. I know its a device to let us know what he is thinking/planning. But when does this ever happen in reality?

3. Music telling me how I should feel.
The beginning of lord of the rings comes to mind here... When Gandalf says he is never late and arrives precisely when he means too... He then shoots a serious face and then cracks a smile, accompanied immediately by happy flute music to reinforce I should be be happy/amused by this.

There are many more.. But I want to just start with these to see what other things bother you. Any takers?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2015, 06:15 PM
RE: Things in movies that bother me.
I know crap like Arachnophobia, and 8 Legged Freaks, should be torn to pieces and thrown into an incinerator! Laugh out load but other than that?
Consider
I know I can't do sitcoms, anymore, as far as TV is concerned, so for movies maybe comedy that doesn't age well?

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
06-06-2015, 06:51 PM
1. Maybe because of how many times it happened in the third Hobbit, but, characters being rescued from death at the last possible moment, especially when preceded by the bad guy taking his time for no good reason. It's supposed to be suspenseful but it just isn't. Especially when it's already happened a dozen times in the movie.

2. Related to number 1: good guys living/winning just because the bad guy decided to monologue. It's kind of expected in a lighthearted kids' movie but it happens in like every single serious action movie too.

3. Predictable dialogue. Sure, it has to make sense, but I hate when I'm able to correctly predict half the lines in a movie. There are several phrases that are in every movie and really bug me but I can't think of them right now...
[+] 4 users Like Dex's post
06-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Mostly stuff involving guns and tactics and the like. For example, frag grenades making a giant fiery explosion but still missing the guy who barely jumps out of the way. In real life they probably would have been shredded by shrapnel even if they were out of the immediate blast range (and there isn't really a big fireball) and on the other side of a wall. Gun fights between people about 20 meters apart using guns designed to be deadly accurate 300 to 600 meters away and still missing. With two minute of instruction from someone who has half an idea of how to shoot, anyone from a 7 year old to my grandma should be hitting targets at 200 meters with ease. It doesn't really even require skill until you start to get past 300 meters. Then... two minutes later Rick pulls out his revolver and every shot is a head shot. Aluminum car doors serving as cover for rounds that would actually cut through them like butter. Guns in general having immediate stopping power, which is a flaw that goes beyond being a mere movie annoyance, and has worked its way into the thinking of people who are actually making laws, regulations, and rules of engagement based on their misconceptions of how gun fights work.

Also medical flaws that seem to be in, like, every other movie. Babies being delivered in just over 17 seconds... and coming out clean. Defibrillators being used to bring people back from the dead (restarting a flat line). No, they just don't work like that.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
06-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I love when music tells me how to feel. I've always thought/said I'd like a soundtrack to my life playing in the background. Sad moments… scary ones. Ha ha.

I don't like movies where people do all kinds of crazy things in a short amount of time, like flights that are much quicker than possible or mountain hiking without altitude pills, jungles without yellow fever shots, etc. Unrealistic like that is worse than unrealistic technologies from the future.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I like a lot of the music in movies as long as it fits and doesn't overwhelm the dialogue. I used to be a big fan of soundtrack albums.

What does bother me is poorly placed music in a movie. There is a move from about 30 years ago named Ladyhawk. I actually like the story it's mystical and set in the middle ages - the soundtrack is very 80s. It confuses my mind.

As long as the music is appropriate, I am good with it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
06-06-2015, 09:09 PM
(06-06-2015 07:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I like a lot of the music in movies as long as it fits and doesn't overwhelm the dialogue. I used to be a big fan of soundtrack albums.

What does bother me is poorly placed music in a movie. There is a move from about 30 years ago named Ladyhawk. I actually like the story it's mystical and set in the middle ages - the soundtrack is very 80s. It confuses my mind.

As long as the music is appropriate, I am good with it.

I watched some version of the Lizzie Borden story not too long ago that was like that. I think the movie was marginal anyway but the soundtrack was just so wrong for the period that it made it hard to watch.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-06-2015, 10:02 PM
People never saying goodbye when they hang up the phone.

Period pieces with British or American accents instead of proper accents
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
06-06-2015, 10:24 PM
People shooting propane tanks and then fiery explosion. The only TV show that done this right was Burn Notice; tied some flares to a tank, throws, shoot then FWwwooOMM!

The monologues always get me..really? Allow me to twirl my mustache and gloat before the hero smashes my head open. *maniacal laugh* (also explaining their evil plan)

"We're not in Kansas anymore" -most over used line ever, look that shit up, kinda funny back to back.

Also whenever the villain gets killed by some accident during a fight.

People either jumping or being throw through glass windows and able to get up and not be shredded to pieces.

so yeah, I got a lot of peeves but don't allow them to ruin the movie for me. well... sometimes

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-06-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm fairly certain I've written this before on here, but what really burns my toast is when there are movies that have actors speaking English in foreign accents to represent the country they are in, as if that makes it authentic. If they are German and they are in Germany and they are speaking to each other, let them speak German and use subtitles. Anything else is insulting and moronic.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post