Things in movies that bother me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
RE: Things in movies that bother me.
Any movie which relies on 'the power of friendship' for resolution is instantly bad.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2015, 06:09 PM
(12-06-2015 06:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Any movie which relies on 'the power of friendship' is instantly bad.

Harry Potter was resolved with "the Power of Love" pretty sure Sparkly Vampire Fun Time was as well (the one 50 shades is ripped off from) it's lazy writing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-06-2015, 06:15 PM
(12-06-2015 06:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 06:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Any movie which relies on 'the power of friendship' is instantly bad.

Sparkly Vampire Fun Time was as well (the one 50 shades is ripped off from)

I object to the use of 'fun' in relation to those films; for sir, I make the case that it denigrates, demeans and dishonours the word to levels unheard of. It deprives the word of its very meaning!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
13-06-2015, 12:50 PM
(12-06-2015 04:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hate it when a group of people in a movie order Chinese takeout and always eat it out of the box. Most people share... otherwise the character is eating only noodles while the other character is eating only the rice or just a box of fortune cookies. It's dumb.

I thought the idea of ordering food is to have your own main dish to eat, no? Tongue
Except if it's pizza. I don't see how you can share a burger or pasta. Doesn't every person order for themselves? Well, except for the appetizers of course.

When we order Chinese here, each of us has their own box of noodles/main dish, and we share appetizers (if any).

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
13-06-2015, 12:58 PM
(13-06-2015 12:50 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 04:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hate it when a group of people in a movie order Chinese takeout and always eat it out of the box. Most people share... otherwise the character is eating only noodles while the other character is eating only the rice or just a box of fortune cookies. It's dumb.

I thought the idea of ordering food is to have your own main dish to eat, no? Tongue
Except if it's pizza. I don't see how you can share a burger or pasta. Doesn't every person order for themselves? Well, except for the appetizers of course.

When we order Chinese here, each of us has their own box of noodles/main dish, and we share appetizers (if any).

Anytime I order for a business setting (as is often the case in tv/movies) everyone orders their own thing and eats it out of the box. At home it depends sometimes we do family style.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-06-2015, 02:40 AM
Movies set in Los Angeles. Not that there's anything wrong with L.A. or with a story set in L.A. But L.A. is the default location for any movie that has no reason to be anywhere else. The filmmakers do it to save money by shooting at home. But it sends a message that L.A. has the only good police department (or corrupt police department if the story needs it), the only beaches, the only rich people, the only poor people, etc.

I get a message that if you don't live in L.A., you live in hell.

OK. There are plenty of movies set in other locations. But L.A. is over represented. It gets tiresome.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
16-06-2015, 01:25 PM
(12-06-2015 06:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Any movie which relies on 'the power of friendship' for resolution is instantly bad.

Not always true. Stand by Me was awesome.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Things in movies that bother me.
Bad editing.

Highlander movie. They fly into (if I recall) Chicago. Huge on the wall:

Bienvenue à Montréal
16-06-2015, 02:07 PM
How many times does this happen?

Towards the end of the movie, the climax of the film. The hero is has a chance to kill the villain. He's pointing a gun at the villain's face, and the hero's friend says, "Come on, it's not worth it." The hero lets the villain live, but then the villain gains uses some hidden strength to attempt to kill someone, and the hero still ends up killing the bad guy.

These are the moments in the film when it's transparent. You can see the gears turning in the filmmaker's head like: "Nah nah, the audience is gonna want some resolution. The bad guy has to die."

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
16-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Gun stuff:
I HATE it when characters practice poor gun safety. I know it's just a movie, but seeing movie cops 'sweep' a house with their damn fingers on the triggers makes me crazy.
It's just stupid when people dive laterally during a gunfight while simultaneously firing the gun accurately.

Final fight scene between the bad guy and the victim:
Victim has supposedly incapacitated the attacker, but instead of shooting him again, or at least walking the hell away, he or she collapses in relief right next to the 'body', and the person is able to spring back to life to have a final go at them again.

Horror movies:
Any time an idiot hears a strange noise, and immediately goes out alone to investigate, all the while shouting "Hello?? Who's there?"

Movie food:
Pizza is always thin crust, and all the characters can pick up a piece without having to cut it, or deal with the stringy cheese. They just grab a piece, hold it in one hand, and start nibbling on it. It doesn't even bend!

Movie gifts:
They are almost always boxes with giant bows where the top just lifts off. I have never, in 40 years, received a gift where the top lifts off like that.
[+] 4 users Like beeglez's post