Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Things that don't fit anywhere else...
Watching the Academy Awards has given me a sudden ache of missing Robin Williams. It rises and falls like a wave---why is this one such a tsunami? Knowing he will never walk across that stage again physically hurts me.

Gone too soon. Far too soon.

[Image: robin-williams.jpg]

[Image: f47e31a054ada8d327c8a53626b84faf--so-sad...quotes.jpg]

[Image: e4f386ce8399778c03370e8e8e15a2d6.jpg]

[Image: robin-williams-quotes-ideas-can-change-the-world.jpg]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
04-03-2018, 10:25 PM
RE: Things that don't fit anywhere else...
Did you guys know that Elizabeth Taylor had a genetic mutation? She had a double row of eyelashes. Poor thing.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-03-2018, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2018 10:46 PM by kim.)
(04-03-2018 09:51 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Watching the Academy Awards has given me a sudden ache of missing Robin Williams. It rises and falls like a wave---why is this one such a tsunami? Knowing he will never walk across that stage again physically hurts me.

Gone too soon. Far too soon.

At least he isn't suffering. I know. Bittersweet.
I have similar feelings about David Bowie. Prince. There's always that wondering ... about possibilities ... what could have been.

Sometimes, I still feel like all the air has been sucked out of my chest, when I think about John Lennon.

Of all the millions of years our species has been walking on the planet, look who you got to walk around with at the exact same time. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-03-2018, 10:52 PM
(04-03-2018 10:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Did you guys know that Elizabeth Taylor had a genetic mutation? She had a double row of eyelashes. Poor thing.

She had violet eyes, too. Very unusual. Exotic.

I knew a guy named Kelly Austin - double eyelashes.
Consider Come to think of it ... I've known a few men with double lashes. Maybe it's more unusual in women than men.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
look who you got to walk around with at the exact same time.

That's a great way to look at it, I suppose. Not only did I have the chance to meet him and "work" with him (just as an extra, but it counts) I got to be part of a group who he flashed with full-frontal nudity. Descriptions of him as a hairy man don't do it justice. It was like he was wearing a fur suit.

***sigh***

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
05-03-2018, 12:55 PM
(04-03-2018 10:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Did you guys know that Elizabeth Taylor had a genetic mutation? She had a double row of eyelashes. Poor thing.

I just figured she suffered from a horrible ability to pick men. Eyebrows, eh?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
05-03-2018, 02:21 PM
(04-03-2018 09:51 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Gone too soon. Far too soon.

For us. It was too soon for us. But for him?

Quote:Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

Not everyone values a life with Parkinsons. He obviously did not cherish the thought of being unable to control his arms and legs and body in general. It is a very, very nasty disease, and while some meds provide temporary relief from the jerking muscles, none work in the long run and other symptoms, such as hallucinations and paranoia, make it even harder to bear. You lose your body and your mind.

So I'll raise a glass to Robin - a life well lived, he provided comic relief to millions for hours on end. And while others may not share his views, he made the right decision for himself.

No regrets.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
05-03-2018, 02:42 PM
(05-03-2018 12:55 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

I just figured she suffered from a horrible ability to pick men. Eyebrows, eh?

Gawd that's so true. She couldn't see past her double row of eyelashes or something. She was a character that's for sure. I know someone who met her and yes, she had violet eyes. They were a blue-violet, still enough violet to take your breath away.

Speaking of hairy eyelashes and hair in general, like outtacloset said Robin Williams was super hairy. He once said he could grow a beard overnight!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-03-2018, 05:41 PM
(05-03-2018 02:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-03-2018 09:51 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Gone too soon. Far too soon.

For us. It was too soon for us. But for him?

Quote:Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

Not everyone values a life with Parkinsons. He obviously did not cherish the thought of being unable to control his arms and legs and body in general. It is a very, very nasty disease, and while some meds provide temporary relief from the jerking muscles, none work in the long run and other symptoms, such as hallucinations and paranoia, make it even harder to bear. You lose your body and your mind.

So I'll raise a glass to Robin - a life well lived, he provided comic relief to millions for hours on end. And while others may not share his views, he made the right decision for himself.

No regrets.

My understanding was that he had Lewy Body Dementia, similar to Alzheimer's but with a much faster onset. He was a sharp guy, I think he did the best he could . Miss him? Hell yes.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post