Things that drive me nuts in movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 09:45 AM
RE: Things that drive me nuts in movies
I just found this on YouTube. It's perfect. While watching it, think of being the person on the other side of the line. You would think you were just hung up on if they don't at least say goodbye, or anything else indication the call is over.

In real life, the other person would call them back and say, "I think we got disconnected".

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2014, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 10:05 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
Also, the plot driving misscommunication, that would that the protagonist all of three minutes to explain, and then the movie would be resolved, but they never do.

Rather they make efforts to cover up the thing that is being missunderstood in order to avoid it being discovered, but that just makes the problem worse, so they cover up more, which just makes the problem worse, so they cover up more, which just makes the problem worse, so they...........
And then usually "hilarity" ensues.

Just take three minutes to say, "I know this looks bad, but it can actually be explained relatively easily if you just give me three minutes".

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
29-03-2014, 09:57 AM
This one has bothered me forever. In America, when we make movies about people who speak a foreign language or take place in a non-English-speaking country, instead of having the actors actually speak in the native tongue and using subtitles, they have American actors learn how these foreigners would speak English in their foreign accents (or they have foreigners speak English for our benefit).

It would be one thing if the character was speaking to someone who only knew English so they would speak English in their accent to the English-speaking character, but when everyone in the scene is Spanish/German etc., there's no reason for them to be speaking English, much less in a Spanish/German etc. accent.

It's so insulting to our intelligence. "Vee have vays of making you talk!" Yeah, like an idiot.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
29-03-2014, 10:19 AM
(29-03-2014 09:57 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  This one has bothered me forever. In America, when we make movies about people who speak a foreign language or take place in a non-English-speaking country, instead of having the actors actually speak in the native tongue and using subtitles, they have American actors learn how these foreigners would speak English in their foreign accents (or they have foreigners speak English for our benefit).

It would be one thing if the character was speaking to someone who only knew English so they would speak English in their accent to the English-speaking character, but when everyone in the scene is Spanish/German etc., there's no reason for them to be speaking English, much less in a Spanish/German etc. accent.

It's so insulting to our intelligence. "Vee have vays of making you talk!" Yeah, like an idiot.

I can forgive part of this, to an extent.

I am always amazed when an actor actually learns to phonetically say the lines in a foreign language, to which sounds amazing to my untrained ear, but may sound horrible to anyone who speaks and knows that language.

The thing is, it's easier to learn a German accent in English, then it is to completely learn German, or at least the words for the duration of a script.

In some cases these actors only have a handful of lines, and I agree with you on this. You can fake it for five lines in a movie. But for example, if you are Tom Cruise playing the lead actor, that's a lot of lines to fake, and I'm not sure I'd find that convincing for a whole movie.

But two things that still really, really annoy me in this regard...when they don't even bother with the appropriate accents, and just hire people with British accents to play Germans, or Romans, or whatever, because at least it sounds foreign to use Americans. That really does feel insulting to me. Just do a German or Roman accent. I'm pretty sure the ancient Romans, Persians, Greeks, etc, did not sound British.

But worse that simply using a British accent for all foreigners, is when they don't even bother with even that. Take Tom Cruise in the movie Valkyrie. He just spoke in his regular American accent. It actually really made me realize the need for at least the British accent to indicate the man was foreign.

I just ask that they at least learn the accent...at least.

29-03-2014, 10:27 AM
(29-03-2014 10:19 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 09:57 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  This one has bothered me forever. In America, when we make movies about people who speak a foreign language or take place in a non-English-speaking country, instead of having the actors actually speak in the native tongue and using subtitles, they have American actors learn how these foreigners would speak English in their foreign accents (or they have foreigners speak English for our benefit).

I can forgive part of this, to an extent.

I am always amazed when an actor actually learns to phonetically say the lines in a foreign language, to which sounds amazing to my untrained ear, but may sound horrible to anyone who speaks and knows that language.

The thing is, it's easier to learn a German accent in English, then it is to completely learn German, or at least the words for the duration of a script.

In some cases these actors only have a handful of lines, and I agree with you on this. You can fake it for five lines in a movie. But for example, if you are Tom Cruise playing the lead actor, that's a lot of lines to fake, and I'm not sure I'd find that convincing for a whole movie.

But two things that still really, really annoy me in this regard...when they don't even bother with the appropriate accents, and just hire people with British accents to play Germans, or Romans, or whatever, because at least it sounds foreign to use Americans. That really does feel insulting to me. Just do a German or Roman accent. I'm pretty sure the ancient Romans, Persians, Greeks, etc, did not sound British.

But worse that simply using a British accent for all foreigners, is when they don't even bother with even that. Take Tom Cruise in the movie Valkyrie. He just spoke in his regular American accent. It actually really made me realize the need for at least the British accent to indicate the man was foreign.

I just ask that they at least learn the accent...at least.

Actually, I thought Valkyrie used the most thoughtful and agreeable way to deal with this, as Cruise was writing a letter in German and speaking in German and they gradually changed to English to tell us, ok, we admit Cruise isn't going to learn German for this entire movie, so here is the transition to make it palatable. I would just prefer them to all just speak English normally. Adding the accent while speaking English is just pathetic and behind stupid.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
29-03-2014, 02:18 PM
The highly flammable and explosive nature of matter in Hollywood universes. Hanging the phone angrily is life threatening Gasp

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
29-03-2014, 03:41 PM
(28-03-2014 10:26 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Not taking cover in a firefight

Oh well, not all are bad...

[Image: 9f6.gif]
29-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Screeching tires on a dirt road. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
29-03-2014, 05:16 PM
I just saw this one...

A woman throws up once...only one time...and everyone instantly knows that she's pregnant.

No one ever assumes they have the flu, or ate some bad shrimp. They always know, with one vomit, that they are pregnant.

29-03-2014, 07:17 PM
(29-03-2014 10:27 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Actually, I thought Valkyrie used the most thoughtful and agreeable way to deal with this, as Cruise was writing a letter in German and speaking in German and they gradually changed to English to tell us, ok, we admit Cruise isn't going to learn German for this entire movie, so here is the transition to make it palatable. I would just prefer them to all just speak English normally. Adding the accent while speaking English is just pathetic and behind stupid.

There was a nice transition in The Hunt For Red October too. The Russians (non-Russian actors) spoke Russian for the beginning of the film. While one was reading Revelations in Russian, the camera zooms into his mouth, he says "Armageddon," and continues in English as the camera zooms back out. Then it's acceptable for them to speak English for the rest of the film.

I just had an issue with Sean Connery's hairpiece.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post