Things that make me go, "Hmmmm" ..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
RE: Things that make me go, "Hmmmm" ..
I always thought that double homicide of the pregnant woman had to do with the viability of the child but that's just me. If said fetus wouldn't be viable outside the womb then of course I don't think it would be considered homicide but if it's viable outside the womb with an incubator then of course it should be considered homicide.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 02:59 PM

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Murder of a pregnant woman that results in loss of the pregnancy can be seen in some courts as an aggravating factor of the crime. Possibly then adding to the possiblility of the death sentence or a sentence of life without parole instead of life (with possibility of parole). Not necessarily a separate crime. It depends on the state and that state's laws.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
http://religiousfreedom.lib.virginia.edu..._1785.html
http://www.pbs.org/godinamerica/people/t...erson.html
In his 1787 Notes on the State of Virginia, Jefferson stated:
“Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth... Our sister states of Pennsylvania and New York, however, have long subsisted without any establishment at all. The experiment was new and doubtful when they made it. It has answered beyond conception. They flourish infinitely. Religion is well supported; of various kinds, indeed, but all good enough; all sufficient to preserve peace and order: or if a sect arises, whose tenets would subvert morals, good sense has fair play, and reasons and laughs it out of doors, without suffering the state to be troubled with it. They do not hang more malefactors than we do. They are not more disturbed with religious dissensions. On the contrary, their harmony is unparalleled, and can be ascribed to nothing but their unbounded tolerance, because there is no other circumstance in which they differ from every nation on earth. They have made the happy discovery, that the way to silence religious disputes, is to take no notice of them. Let us too give this experiment fair play, and get rid, while we may, of those tyrannical laws."

"Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear. ... Do not be frightened from this inquiry by any fear of its consequences. If it end in a belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise and in the love of others which it will procure for you. -- (Jefferson's Works, Vol. ii., p. 217)

1802 letter to the Danbury Baptist Association, he wrote:
“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between church and State"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jeff...d_religion

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
~ First Amendment to the United States Constitution

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post