Things that religious people do that bug me!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 05:42 PM by Scully.)
Bug Things that religious people do that bug me!!
#1. When someone says "I'll pray for you" or "I prayed for you" when they know damn well I'm atheist. Why not say "I'll find a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow and steal his gold and bring it back for you" - it's about as effective. I don't care if the thought is sincere. I don't want anyone asking for divine intervention on my behalf. It's as though they think I'm going to fail without their p-mail to god. (ha! p-mail... I just made that up!)

#2. When a religious person gets sick - like horribly sick with a diagnosis I wouldn't wish on anyone - and requests prayers for healing, or praises The Lord when they recover. First of all, I want to ask them why they are fighting so hard to live, if their diagnosis could take them home to Jesus all the more quickly if they just let nature take its course, and secondly, The Lord had no hand in their surgery, their hospital care, or their after-care. The Lord didn't run blood tests, administer their chemo or radiation or do their x-rays and CT scans and MRIs, or empty their puke bucket and give them really strong anti-puking medication.

#3. When they say "Wait on The Lord and your desires will be fulfilled." No. Effing NO. Your desires will be fulfilled when you get off your lazy ass and bust your hump and make it happen. YOU do that, nobody else. Waiting for The Lord to organize your life the way you want it will only result in one thing: You get older, and your life is still the way you left it when you started waiting on The Lord.

#4. When a religious person insists that worshipping god is not optional. My answer to this is "Why does god need to be worshipped? Is he some kind of needy attention whore?" A person who demands and requires so much attention from others is a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Especially if they threaten to f*ck us up for NOT giving them the attention they require - that's sociopathic. If that's the kind of entity that is god, then he's far from perfect, and doesn't deserve to be worshipped.

#5. Insisting that their beliefs require respect, but not affording my beliefs the same respect. If I dislike their gag-worthy scripture quoting on FB, I have to shut up and "show respect". If I post something that they dislike, disagree with or get offended by, they feel obligated to make an issue of it. I'm sorry if you're offended, but I can't control how you manage your emotions. Get over it. I'm not going to stop posting stuff that I find interesting, ironic or amusing to protect your oh-so-fragile faith.

#6. Imposing their beliefs on everyone around them. I'm a nurse in a large hospital complex. I worked 12 years on the mother-baby unit. 3 years ago, a cry went up among some Islamic patients that they had accidentally received pork on their meal tray. I'm speculating that a lawsuit was brandished, because that's the only reason the hospital ever makes sweeping changes that affect everyone: now NOBODY on the maternity floor receives pork in their meals. I kind of want to make pork the sacred meat of atheists, which must be consumed at least once daily, just to screw with them.

#7. Quoting scripture at me, and expecting me to concede their point. It's about as effective as me quoting Dr. Seuss or nursery rhymes to them.

Feel free to add to the list. I'm sure I'll add more as they come up.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Scully's post
12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
RE: Things that religious people do that bug me!!
5 & 6 piss me off the most.

Also, when people take personal offense to me being an atheist, as if my very presence is poisonous. I've been called evil, bad, and a sinner when I said I do not believe in the concept of sin.

I dunno. A lot of people have trouble accepting that other people are not like them.

Actually, a huge one for me is people assuming I'm an atheist because I am "mad at god." I don't believe in god, so I can't be mad at him.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like amyb's post
12-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I hate when religious people tell me to be "open to being spiritual." They even say they don't care WHAT religion or beliefs I hold, so long as I simply believe in a "higher power." That's like you're telling me that simply believing in something somehow makes me a better person.

I also agree about this double standard where I must "respect their beliefs" but if I say something about God not being real or a funny, anti-religious joke, I get told, "that's rude. Why are you trying to make me question my faith?"

"Um, I'm just saying what's on my mind; If you feel as though I'm making you test your beliefs, that's a personal issue that you should address yourself. Perhaps you're simply scared that what I said made sense."

Also, when I lost a close family member a couple years ago, I had a tough time coping. I told my religious sister that I once "talked to" the deceased. Not long ago, she "reminded" me that I prayed not long ago!

"I never prayed. Where did you come up with THAT?!"

"You said you talked to him. (Deceased) THAT was praying; you wanted support..."

"NO. That was me confiding in you that I had trouble coping with the first death of a close person in my life. Now I see that you are confused and are trying to twist my words. I assure you: it was NOT prayer."

I got more, but I'll wait to post til I am on my laptop Big Grin

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
12-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Ah, yes! The "open your mind to woo" one! I'd almost forgotten about that... I dislike the way people think atheists are closed-minded, when really, it's usually just that they don't believe wacky shit without evidence. Another one I encountered recently was the idea that atheists cannot be artistic or have an imagination at all. I know plenty of imaginative, creative atheists, it's just that they are able to separate reality from fantasy.

I would also add "no atheists in foxholes." If you're scared or something bad happens to you, religious folks think you will immediately become religious. They almost say it like it's a threat, "just wait until something bad happens..." Um, no.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
1) Breathe Undecided

2) I mentioned it before, but anytime they praise God for a victory! Specifically in a matter as trivial as a sports game, even if it is The Super Bowl. I would pay money to a reporter to have asked, "So, Ray-Ray, god hates the San Fransisco 49'ers, huh?"

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
12-05-2013, 05:42 PM
When it's assumed that everyone in a group must believe in the same god. As in the practice of prayers and god-thanking at every public gathering regardless of church affiliation or lack thereof.

As the speaker says...let us bow our heads in prayer. Nope, I will stand here, head up, eyes open (and probably rolling)and allow you to do your thing. But what if I want the same respect? Whoops...not an option.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
12-05-2013, 06:30 PM
(12-05-2013 05:11 PM)amyb Wrote:  Also, when people take personal offense to me being an atheist, as if my very presence is poisonous.

This.

On the internet and in person, religious people seem to feel that by stating my non-belief in gods, I am attacking their religion somehow... basically belittling their beliefs and shouting "there is no god", when all I have said is that I'm atheist.

As far as the religious person should be concerned, it is the same as if I were Buddhist. Either way I don't believe in their god or their religion in any way. Yet stating my status as part of a different religion would be accepted, and having my status as atheist makes my presence "poisonous".

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
To justify their position (and attempt to gain the moral high ground) they say "I'm a Christian".

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
^ Related: When politicians describe themselves as "churchgoing," as if that means they are a good person.

Also, I watch a lot of crime shows, forensics shows, etc. and sometimes when they interview someone about a criminal, they'll say things like "He was a churchgoing family man!" as if that means he couldn't commit a crime.
12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Businesses that profess their Christianity as though that is some secret code for "We are so much more honest and ethical than that heathen down the street."

(Along the same lines as Carlos' post)

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post