Things that religious people do that bug me!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
RE: Things that religious people do that bug me!!
#6.

All they had to do was, um, NOT EAT IT! Or have something else!

Then ask POLITELY to not have any pork for subsequent meals. I work in a hospital too, and I’m pretty sure that nutritional services can do that sort of thing.

and…bacon is the tits. BowingDroolingThumbsup

I lost a lot of weight, but I still can’t quit bacon. Oh, I’ve tried. But my breakfast tacos (on whole-wheat tortilla) can’t be complete without the thickest bacon that I can find!

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like thewellkeptwoman's post
12-05-2013, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 08:58 PM by Scully.)
(12-05-2013 06:30 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:11 PM)amyb Wrote:  Also, when people take personal offense to me being an atheist, as if my very presence is poisonous.

This.

On the internet and in person, religious people seem to feel that by stating my non-belief in gods, I am attacking their religion somehow... basically belittling their beliefs and shouting "there is no god", when all I have said is that I'm atheist.

As far as the religious person should be concerned, it is the same as if I were Buddhist. Either way I don't believe in their god or their religion in any way. Yet stating my status as part of a different religion would be accepted, and having my status as atheist makes my presence "poisonous".

I get this too. In fact, I should add this to my list: When my BIL & SIL were visiting last summer, I left them alone for FIVE MINUTES in the dining room while I took the breakfast dishes into the kitchen and cleaned up. I have some bookshelves in proximity of the dining room table, with all manner of books on them. I actually have a collection of bibles, the Book of Mormon, craft books, cookbooks, etc. When I returned with some fresh coffee, my BIL was silent and had a perturbed look on his face - a book open on the table in front of him. My SIL appeared flustered, but announced in a very offended tone "We are STRONG CHRISTIANS, and this book is extremely offensive." It was God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

I smiled sweetly and said "Well, I didn't make you take it off the shelf. I didn't suggest that you read it or offer it to you. I didn't make you open it or read it. Out of the huge selection of books on these shelves, you made the choice to pick that book out behind my back, open it and start reading it. I'm glad you're STRONG CHRISTIANS, because five minutes with a book like that probably won't have any effect on you at all. But I'm not going to apologize for you getting offended when you made all the choices that led up to you feeling offended."

Why is it that offended Christians always refer to themselves as "STRONG CHRISTIANS"? It's as though they are repeating a mantra... who are they trying to convince - me or themselves??

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 2 users Like Scully's post
12-05-2013, 09:04 PM
^Oh, man. I know how that is. What the fuck. I am not responsible if other people cannot control their own emotions. My cousin, when she was still on my facebook friends list, used to go through all my "likes" just to get offended by them so she could bitch about how offended she was. It makes me believe some people actively try to get offended just to complain about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
12-05-2013, 09:19 PM
(12-05-2013 08:55 PM)Scully Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 06:30 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  This.

On the internet and in person, religious people seem to feel that by stating my non-belief in gods, I am attacking their religion somehow... basically belittling their beliefs and shouting "there is no god", when all I have said is that I'm atheist.

As far as the religious person should be concerned, it is the same as if I were Buddhist. Either way I don't believe in their god or their religion in any way. Yet stating my status as part of a different religion would be accepted, and having my status as atheist makes my presence "poisonous".

I get this too. In fact, I should add this to my list: When my BIL & SIL were visiting last summer, I left them alone for FIVE MINUTES in the dining room while I took the breakfast dishes into the kitchen and cleaned up. I have some bookshelves in proximity of the dining room table, with all manner of books on them. I actually have a collection of bibles, the Book of Mormon, craft books, cookbooks, etc. When I returned with some fresh coffee, my BIL was silent and had a perturbed look on his face - a book open on the table in front of him. My SIL appeared flustered, but announced in a very offended tone "We are STRONG CHRISTIANS, and this book is extremely offensive." It was God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

I smiled sweetly and said "Well, I didn't make you take it off the shelf. I didn't suggest that you read it or offer it to you. I didn't make you open it or read it. Out of the huge selection of books on these shelves, you made the choice to pick that book out behind my back, open it and start reading it. I'm glad you're STRONG CHRISTIANS, because five minutes with a book like that probably won't have any effect on you at all. But I'm not going to apologize for you getting offended when you made all the choices that led up to you feeling offended."

Why is it that offended Christians always refer to themselves as "STRONG CHRISTIANS"? It's as though they are repeating a mantra... who are they trying to convince - me or themselves??

Have you heard when Hitchens is asked the question "Would you be less afraid or more afraid if you saw a group of men walking towards you, at night, knowing that they had just come from a prayer meeting?"

To which Hitch replies something to the effect of depends whether or not I am in Northern Ireland or Afghanistan or Iran or Iraq or Syria or Lebanon or the Deep South in the USA or..."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
12-05-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 09:28 PM by Peanut.)
I'm sure someone mentioned it already, but when a religious person says, "God bless you!" to me as though it will make me feel bad. You know what I'm talking about: If I go on YouTube to comment on a religious video and state my opinion, it's quite obvious that I'm an atheist. They then say whatever they say and then end with a condescending "God bless you!" In my opinion, that is a religious person's way of saying "well, fuck you, too!" Laughat

They won't feel bad about saying it, because their God will appreciate them spreading the "love." GAG!

Kinda reminds me of this. (They will say these outlandish, rude comments and then say it...)

[Image: MjAxMy0zZjA1NjRkNmE0YWI4ZWYy.png]

Big Grin

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
(12-05-2013 09:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Have you heard when Hitchens is asked the question "Would you be less afraid or more afraid if you saw a group of men walking towards you, at night, knowing that they had just come from a prayer meeting?"

To which Hitch replies something to the effect of depends whetehr or not if I am in Northern Ireland or Afghanistan or Iran or Iraq or Syria or Lebanon or the Deep South in the USA or..."

Yes! I have God Is Not Great on audiobook, and he actually did the narration himself... so it's pretty awesome to hear him recount that story.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
22-05-2013, 07:57 AM
In my day-to-day life, I most usually encounter people that will say they will 'pray for me' and it does annoy me, and I feel just a little bit bad,since they're trying to be nice and make me feel better.

Oh, and akin to what Peanut said, I HATE it when people say 'God bless you." "I will pray for you." etc in a condescending manner, i'm not really sure what they are implying, but I know it can't be good, luckily I don't really find this in face to face interactions.

"You were never a true believer." Grinds my gears as well, no true scotsman.
[+] 1 user Likes mysterics's post
22-05-2013, 08:33 AM
(12-05-2013 09:22 PM)Peanut Wrote:  then end with a condescending "God bless you!" In my opinion, that is a religious person's way of saying "well, fuck you, too!" Laughat

I've had many women with loads of "southern hospitality" and that sweet southern smile and charm tell me that is EXACTLY what they are saying.

"bless his heart" is another dagger cloaked in niceness.

I've heard a really long joke about 2 southern women comparing things in life, one brags about something and the other responds with 'well, how nice' to each brag. At the end, one woman says she was sent to charm school so she could learn how to say 'well, how nice' instead of 'fuck you'.

think twice before you get 'blessed' in the south. Tongue

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
22-05-2013, 05:01 PM
UGH. My mom always makes fun of a friend of mine that believes in crystal healing and angel channeling and a bunch of other nonsense. She's a catholic. The one time I said something to her she got super defensive and the conversation ended with her yelling something along the lines of "WELL THAT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU PUT YOUR FAITH".

UGH.

Excuse me, I'll go punch something.

[Image: killing-floor-screen-banner.jpg]
22-05-2013, 05:22 PM
My teenage daughters boyfriend was most likely bi polar and I work with a lady who was praying for him. From previous conversations I know she really thinks mentally ill people are possessed by the devil.

I can't imagine what she would say if she knew my other daughter was Transgender! Ha! I actually want to tell her just to see her response! I should record it on my camera phone and post it on youtube.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post