Things that religious people do that bug me!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2013, 06:26 PM
RE: Things that religious people do that bug me!!
"it's all a part of God's plan." same with "everything happens for a reason"

No, no. NO! God's plan is to have all those innocents die everyday. I don't want to be a part of a religion where this sickness and cruelty somehow fits into god's plan.

kthnxbi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes aquaquilter's post
22-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Oh hell's bells...so obvious...

When they knock on your door, uninvited, to tell you "The Good News" or whatever flavor they are pushing.

If I want religion I will find a damn church, there are enough around.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-05-2013, 06:45 PM
(22-05-2013 06:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Oh hell's bells...so obvious...

When they knock on your door, uninvited, to tell you "The Good News" or whatever flavor they are pushing.

oh yes!! If you don't have Girl Scout cookies- then I don't want what you are selling.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-05-2013, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2013 08:40 AM by Scully.)
(22-05-2013 06:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When they knock on your door, uninvited, to tell you "The Good News" or whatever flavor they are pushing.

As someone formerly of the door knocking persuasion, I offer my sincere apologies to anyone whose rest I disturbed on any given Saturday morning. Except for the guy who answered the door with a towel wrapped around his waist, who dropped said towel for effect: Shocking I wish I could find him again. Blush

Seriously though, I honestly believed I was doing what god expected of me, despite its complete ineffectiveness. There was a carrot involved (my potential salvation and the salvation of everyone I "witnessed" to) as well as a stick (death and destruction). You don't see it that way until you're on the outside looking in. Once I started questioning and having doubts about the beliefs, I couldn't - in good conscience - keep peddling a message that I couldn't swallow myself.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
24-05-2013, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 10:12 PM by Peanut.)
(24-05-2013 08:03 PM)Scully Wrote:  
(22-05-2013 06:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When they knock on your door, uninvited, to tell you "The Good News" or whatever flavor they are pushing.

As someone formerly of the door knocking persuasion, I offer my sincere apologies to anyone whose rest I disturbed on any given Saturday morning. Except for the guy who answered the door with a towel wrapped around his waist, who dropped said towel for effect: Shocking I wish I could find him again. Blush

Seriously though, I honestly believed I was doing what god expected of me, despite it's complete ineffectiveness. There was a carrot involved (my potential salvation and the salvation of everyone I "witnessed" to) as well as a stick (death and destruction). You don't see it that way until you're on the outside looking in. Once I started questioning and having doubts about the beliefs, I couldn't - in good conscience - keep peddling a message that I couldn't swallow myself.

Although I can't stand when JWs come to my door, bright and early, I do feel bad for the ones that get absolute douchebags answering the door. I hear it all the time about people suggesting "open the door naked and sit there as though there's nothing wrong; Listen intently." Or simply "Say stupid shit that would 'freak' them out."

I posted once on my Facebook about how I'm too polite and passive to just tell the JWs that I'm "not interested." I got a bunch of "ha ha! Do THIS..." responses. I think people just like to be funny. But there's a difference between being kind of a troll and straight just being inappropriate to innocent people. Yeah, they can be obnoxious and I don't agree with what they are "selling," but I would NEVER be an asshole to them. I know that they are just doing what they were "trained to do." (In my opinion, it's all they know. I can't fault them for it.)

I hope one day I'll be able to tell them with a genuine smile that I think they are wasting their time with me and that I just don't believe in God in general.

I wouldn't treat someone that way because I wouldn't do that to anyone else.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
24-05-2013, 10:27 PM
(24-05-2013 10:07 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 08:03 PM)Scully Wrote:  As someone formerly of the door knocking persuasion, I offer my sincere apologies to anyone whose rest I disturbed on any given Saturday morning. Except for the guy who answered the door with a towel wrapped around his waist, who dropped said towel for effect: Shocking I wish I could find him again. Blush

Seriously though, I honestly believed I was doing what god expected of me, despite it's complete ineffectiveness. There was a carrot involved (my potential salvation and the salvation of everyone I "witnessed" to) as well as a stick (death and destruction). You don't see it that way until you're on the outside looking in. Once I started questioning and having doubts about the beliefs, I couldn't - in good conscience - keep peddling a message that I couldn't swallow myself.

Although I can't stand when JWs come to my door, bright and early, I do feel bad for the ones that get absolute douchebags answering the door. I hear it all the time about people suggesting "open the door naked and sit there as though there's nothing wrong; Listen intently." Or simply "Say stupid shit that would 'freak' them out."

I posted once on my Facebook about how I'm too polite and passive to just tell the JWs that I'm "not interested." I got a bunch of "ha ha! Do THIS..." responses. I think people just like to be funny. But there's a difference between being kind of a troll and straight just being inappropriate to innocent people. Yeah, they can be obnoxious and I don't agree with what they are "selling," but I would NEVER be an asshole to them. I know that they are just doing what they were "trained to do." (In my opinion, it's all they know. I can't fault them for it.)

I hope one day I'll be able to tell them with a genuine smile that I think they are wasting their time with me and that I just don't believe in God in general.

You should answer the door with a bloody knife in your hand and your eyes all wide and crazed. Then every time they say a chosen "buzz word" (get creative; something unexpected like "today" or even "and") you scream out and start stabbing randomly at the air. Then politely tell them that you're very interested and would like them to continue.

See how long it takes them to figure out the buzz-word/run away. Laughat

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
24-05-2013, 10:27 PM
(24-05-2013 10:07 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 08:03 PM)Scully Wrote:  As someone formerly of the door knocking persuasion, I offer my sincere apologies to anyone whose rest I disturbed on any given Saturday morning. Except for the guy who answered the door with a towel wrapped around his waist, who dropped said towel for effect: Shocking I wish I could find him again. Blush

Then you would absolutely hate my dad! He's one of "those"! He's never actually answered the door in his undies (at least when we were kids, and around to see it), but there were a few times he embarrassed us! But I guess that's one more thing that religious people do I don't like! The divisiveness! Methodists looking down on JW's. Baptists acting like Lutherans are crazy! Really ? Well then, Morman, go knock on a JW's door sometime; just to see what ya get!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
24-05-2013, 10:41 PM
(24-05-2013 10:27 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  You should answer the door with a bloody knife in your hand and your eyes all wide and crazed. Then every time they say a chosen "buzz word" (get creative; something unexpected like "today" or even "and") you scream out and start stabbing randomly at the air. Then politely tell them that you're very interested and would like them to continue.

How... original. Tongue

I have a feeling you eventually kinda hoped people would make an "outing" (what did you guys call those "door-knocking" expeditions?) more interesting. The future film maker/writer in you would have loved to see some crazy responses. You'd have a good story to tell Drinking Beverage

(24-05-2013 10:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Then you would absolutely hate my dad! He's one of "those"! He's never actually answered the door in his undies (at least when we were kids, and around to see it), but there were a few times he embarrassed us! But I guess that's one more thing that religious people do I don't like! The divisiveness! Methodists looking down on JW's. Baptists acting like Lutherans are crazy! Really ? Well then, Morman, go knock on a JW's door sometime; just to see what ya get!

The STORIES are entertaining, I admit. But to actually DO what they joke about makes me uncomfortable for the Jehovah's Witnesses Unsure

Cool I don't hate people very easily. Your dad sounds like a "normal" dad. Sorry he mortified you at some point. But that's what parents are there to do, right?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
24-05-2013, 10:48 PM
(24-05-2013 10:41 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(24-05-2013 10:27 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  You should answer the door with a bloody knife in your hand and your eyes all wide and crazed. Then every time they say a chosen "buzz word" (get creative; something unexpected like "today" or even "and") you scream out and start stabbing randomly at the air. Then politely tell them that you're very interested and would like them to continue.

How... original. Tongue

I have a feeling you eventually kinda hoped people would make an "outing" (what did you guys call those "door-knocking" expeditions?) more interesting. The future film maker/writer in you would have loved to see some crazy responses. You'd have a good story to tell Drinking Beverage

(24-05-2013 10:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Then you would absolutely hate my dad! He's one of "those"! He's never actually answered the door in his undies (at least when we were kids, and around to see it), but there were a few times he embarrassed us! But I guess that's one more thing that religious people do I don't like! The divisiveness! Methodists looking down on JW's. Baptists acting like Lutherans are crazy! Really ? Well then, Morman, go knock on a JW's door sometime; just to see what ya get!

The STORIES are entertaining, I admit. But to actually DO what they joke about makes me uncomfortable for the Jehovah's Witnesses Unsure

Cool I don't hate people very easily. Your dad sounds like a "normal" dad. Sorry he mortified you at some point. But that's what parents are there to do, right?

We pretty much just called it "field service". If you're more hardcore, you're "pioneering", but you're still "going out in field service".

I used to work with a guy who would play "Hell's Bells" by AC/DC when the witnesses would show up at his door. He joked about it with me because he didn't know I was a witness at the time. I was offended because these were my personal friends he was chasing away, but I laughed it off.

It's pretty funny now. Not too creative - I'm not sure they stopped long enough to decipher the lyrics - but still pretty funny. Tongue

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
24-05-2013, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 11:51 PM by TheGulegon.)
(24-05-2013 10:41 PM)Peanut Wrote:  

How... original. Tongue

That ain't no bullshit!! It seemed his sole purpose in life while I was in High School Big Grin But I don't hate my dad; it just bugs me. My uncle on my mom's side went and stole a British lady away from the U.K. and married her; she lives here with us, now. My mom & her brother don't get along, so after they squabble and leave each others presence it's my dad (in an incredibly accurate accent according to my Aunt) that looks at Aunt Kay and says, "never too early for a drink, ay guvnuh". My aunt would laugh and bust out the wine! (British Aunts are awsome; she let the kids have just a little too) But for someone who could so easily break the tension of a bad situation, and make everybody laugh, who then acts patronizing to a fellow Christian of a different denomination; it just bugs me. Come on dad Dodgy I know you don't mean that!