Things that religious people do that bug me!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2013, 12:30 AM
RE: Things that religious people do that bug me!!
(22-05-2013 05:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My teenage daughters boyfriend was most likely bi polar and I work with a lady who was praying for him. From previous conversations I know she really thinks mentally ill people are possessed by the devil.

I can't imagine what she would say if she knew my other daughter was Transgender! Ha! I actually want to tell her just to see her response! I should record it on my camera phone and post it on youtube.

Blink

I'm possessed by the Devil, I'm sure. Why else would I feel the need to yell at random times and I get giddy for no reason? Why do I feel the need to talk, talk, talk and laugh at inappropriate times? It MUST be the Devil's work. Bipolar people have no right to "scare" the "normies" and ESPECIALLY the "religious normal people." It has nothing to do with my own brain and chemical imbalances.

How rude of someone to pray for the mentally ill? Everyone is a LITTLE crazy, anyway. LET'S PRAY FOR THE ONES WHO ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!

And I hope you get some entertainment from her reaction. She pisses me off already. Some people Dodgy

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Peanut's post
25-05-2013, 08:30 AM
(24-05-2013 10:07 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Although I can't stand when JWs come to my door, bright and early, I do feel bad for the ones that get absolute douchebags answering the door. I hear it all the time about people suggesting "open the door naked and sit there as though there's nothing wrong; Listen intently." Or simply "Say stupid shit that would 'freak' them out."

I posted once on my Facebook about how I'm too polite and passive to just tell the JWs that I'm "not interested." I got a bunch of "ha ha! Do THIS..." responses. I think people just like to be funny. But there's a difference between being kind of a troll and straight just being inappropriate to innocent people. Yeah, they can be obnoxious and I don't agree with what they are "selling," but I would NEVER be an asshole to them. I know that they are just doing what they were "trained to do." (In my opinion, it's all they know. I can't fault them for it.)

I hope one day I'll be able to tell them with a genuine smile that I think they are wasting their time with me and that I just don't believe in God in general.

I wouldn't treat someone that way because I wouldn't do that to anyone else.

For the most part, people just did the "I'm not interested" thing and closed the door on me. Although, when I was about 10 years old a guy came to the door and told me if we ever showed up on his doorstep again, he would get his gun and shoot me. This happened in CANADA. Several years later, I encountered him again. He was my high school Computer Science teacher. I don't know if he remembered me, but I sure remembered him. By the end of my first year in his class, he decided that he liked me well enough to ask me to babysit his kids. I was still convinced he was some kind of crazy douchebag that would try to shoot me or rape me if he ever had the chance, so I said that I lived too far from his neighbourhood, which was true. He didn't ask me how I knew it was too far. At the time I thought it was heavenly protection. Blush

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 3 users Like Scully's post
25-05-2013, 07:32 PM
(22-05-2013 07:57 AM)mysterics Wrote:  In my day-to-day life, I most usually encounter people that will say they will 'pray for me' and it does annoy me, and I feel just a little bit bad,since they're trying to be nice and make me feel better.

Oh, and akin to what Peanut said, I HATE it when people say 'God bless you." "I will pray for you." etc in a condescending manner, i'm not really sure what they are implying, but I know it can't be good, luckily I don't really find this in face to face interactions.

"You were never a true believer." Grinds my gears as well, no true scotsman.

Personally, I don't think people who say "God bless you" or "I'll pray for you" are complete and utter douchebags, although I have to wonder about their rationale for saying such a thing to someone whom they know to be atheist.

It's kind of like saying "Jesus loves you anyway", as if I'm the asshole for not believing in the same myth that they believe in. The implication of saying "I'll pray for you" is that your situation is so dire that it warrants divine intervention and that you are incapable of sorting things out on your own, and that the person saying it has a direct line of communication to god that you don't have.

"Poor you. I can't do anything constructive to help you (not that you asked) but I do have this magical form of communication called *prayer* to an invisible being that you don't believe in, who may, or may not, as his whim dictates, listen to my pleadings on your behalf and bring about a solution that you weren't capable of figuring out on your own."

Yes, it's that level of douchebaggery.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
25-05-2013, 07:37 PM
(24-05-2013 08:03 PM)Scully Wrote:  
(22-05-2013 06:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When they knock on your door, uninvited, to tell you "The Good News" or whatever flavor they are pushing.

If I want religion I will find a damn church, there are enough around.

As someone formerly of the door knocking persuasion, I offer my sincere apologies to anyone whose rest I disturbed on any given Saturday morning. Except for the guy who answered the door with a towel wrapped around his waist, who dropped said towel for effect: Shocking I wish I could find him again. Blush

Seriously though, I honestly believed I was doing what god expected of me, despite its complete ineffectiveness. There was a carrot involved (my potential salvation and the salvation of everyone I "witnessed" to) as well as a stick (death and destruction). You don't see it that way until you're on the outside looking in. Once I started questioning and having doubts about the beliefs, I couldn't - in good conscience - keep peddling a message that I couldn't swallow myself.

I get that most of the people knocking on door think that it's what they are supposed to do. Generally, I have tried to be polite but I get frustrated that many don't understand "No thank you"..."not interested"...or something similar. I also get that it's often something that people do because it's what they know.

I don't seem to be on the visit lists any more...maybe it's my annual Halloween display that added me to a 'Too Far Gone to be Saved' list.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I was on FB a minute ago, a friend of a friend commented in a friend's post that he dislikes atheist because they "build their entire identity around their enemy." I tried to explain all the fail in that sentence, but ... damn. A lot of fail there. Anyway, "atheist" is a "person who lacks belief in deities. " That is all. And as long as theism is the majority and everyone seems to assume others are theists, we're gonna have to have such a label to point out that no, we do not believe in deities. FFS.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
25-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Answer to the problem:

"Beware of Dogs" sign on your fence a la Dom's signature.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-05-2013, 11:07 AM
The thing that annoys me the most is when theists think they know exactly why I'm an atheist. They will tell me what I believe in and that I'm just some sad, lonely sap who should just kill himself because I don't believe in anything and I'm just going to die anyways. I'm just mad at god because something tragic happened in my life and I'm just rebelling against him because I want to do whatever I want and not be held responsible. And the "coup de grace" of it all, they got the nerve to tell me that I'm the arrogant one and that I need to be humble like Jesus and repent of my "sinful" ways.

Angry Imma tell you right now, someone is gonna get a rising knee to the face! Angry
[+] 3 users Like NoSuicide4Me's post