Things that should not be said in your presence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: Things that should not be said in your presence
Talking about women who "dress like whores", or otherwise "slut shaming"

Implying that religion is required for morality, or unsolicited advice that god is the answer to school shootings, depression, crime, etc.

I'm a veterinarian, so people who say they could get a new pet for less than the cost of treating whatever illness their current pet has. Or, when they get angry at me for actually charging what I charge (as if it's my fault the pet is sick). Or, when they make a snide remark about paying for my BMW or beach house. I would love to invite them to the parking lot to show them my 10 year old Nissan and tell them I can barely afford a week at the beach, much less a damn beach house. If you can't afford the vet bill, fine. I get it. We'll discuss options. I will sympathize. But don't freaking resent me for your pet's illness. I just spent $1,700 on my 'not a BMW' and will be paying it off for the next 3-4 months. I didn't bitch at the mechanic about it, or rant about paying for his beach house. I paid the damn bill, felt sorry for myself for a while, then remembered I was a grown ass adult and that no one forced me to buy the car, and no one caused it to break down.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like beeglez's post
02-09-2015, 06:07 PM
(02-09-2015 05:57 PM)beeglez Wrote:  Talking about women who "dress like whores", or otherwise "slut shaming"

Implying that religion is required for morality, or unsolicited advice that god is the answer to school shootings, depression, crime, etc.

I'm a veterinarian, so people who say they could get a new pet for less than the cost of treating whatever illness their current pet has. Or, when they get angry at me for actually charging what I charge (as if it's my fault the pet is sick). Or, when they make a snide remark about paying for my BMW or beach house. I would love to invite them to the parking lot to show them my 10 year old Nissan and tell them I can barely afford a week at the beach, much less a damn beach house. If you can't afford the vet bill, fine. I get it. We'll discuss options. I will sympathize. But don't freaking resent me for your pet's illness. I just spent $1,700 on my 'not a BMW' and will be paying it off for the next 3-4 months. I didn't bitch at the mechanic about it, or rant about paying for his beach house. I paid the damn bill, felt sorry for myself for a while, then remembered I was a grown ass adult and that no one forced me to buy the car, and no one caused it to break down.

ha I like you Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-09-2015, 06:43 PM
I have so much sympathy for vets; you guys have harder schools/programs to complete than MDs, get half the respect (from morons, anyway), and can't charge 1/10th as much for surgeries and treatments that are no less difficult than the ones performed on humans.

Wouldn't worry too much about those people who say they can buy a new pet for cheaper; people with that little empathy don't deserve your concern (or a pet!), and it's really a shame that anyone treats you or their pets as you describe, but I've heard that story from every veterinarian I have ever known (a couple in my biology classes were en route to becoming vets, and did so). But I like the way you vented about it, here!

As GwoG says, I like ya! You'll fit right in at TTA. Personally, I think we could use some of your (likely) knowledge in vertebrate zoology for some of the debates with Intelligent Design proponents. Knowledge of how the systems are actually "designed" is one of the best ways to put the smack down on their "just-so" arguments.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-09-2015, 08:24 PM
(02-09-2015 06:43 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I have so much sympathy for vets; you guys have harder schools/programs to complete than MDs, get half the respect (from morons, anyway), and can't charge 1/10th as much for surgeries
people with that little empathy don't deserve your concern (or a pet!), and it's really a shame that anyone treats you or their pets as you describe, but I've heard that story from every veterinarian I have ever known (a couple in my biology classes were en route to becoming vets, and did so). But I like the way you vented about it, here!

Awww shucks! BlushBlush

Thank you! It gets exhausting and demoralizing to deal with crap like that. It has created a huge problem in the industry with burnout, impossible student loan debt, depression, and suicide. We have surpassed dentists for the highest suicide rate among medical professionals. My situation is nowhere near that dire. Fortunately, I also deal with some really really great clients too. We have people who bake us cookies, bring us bagels, send thank you cards (oddly enough, the most common thing for which I receive sincere appreciation is the act of euthanasia), and even send donations in memory of their pets to help on charity cases. I have seen people make their pets a priority by using vacation funds or selling jewelry to pay for pet care. I have seen Good Samaritans rescue injured pets and pay for their care. I have seen people promise to pay over time, and actually do it (most don't, sadly). I have had people tell me they wish their human healthcare experience was more like that of their pets. Most of us keep an "I don't suck" file with client letters and cards which we can look at after a run of assholes! It helps tremendously.
[+] 5 users Like beeglez's post
02-09-2015, 10:19 PM
'Tis noble indeed to work to alleviate the pain and suffering of those who cannot thank you for your efforts. Our pets are special in part because of the supreme trust they place in us; and you do your best to deliver on that. Good man. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-09-2015, 11:27 PM
(02-09-2015 08:24 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 06:43 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I have so much sympathy for vets; you guys have harder schools/programs to complete than MDs, get half the respect (from morons, anyway), and can't charge 1/10th as much for surgeries
people with that little empathy don't deserve your concern (or a pet!), and it's really a shame that anyone treats you or their pets as you describe, but I've heard that story from every veterinarian I have ever known (a couple in my biology classes were en route to becoming vets, and did so). But I like the way you vented about it, here!

Awww shucks! BlushBlush

Thank you! It gets exhausting and demoralizing to deal with crap like that. It has created a huge problem in the industry with burnout, impossible student loan debt, depression, and suicide. We have surpassed dentists for the highest suicide rate among medical professionals. My situation is nowhere near that dire. Fortunately, I also deal with some really really great clients too. We have people who bake us cookies, bring us bagels, send thank you cards (oddly enough, the most common thing for which I receive sincere appreciation is the act of euthanasia), and even send donations in memory of their pets to help on charity cases. I have seen people make their pets a priority by using vacation funds or selling jewelry to pay for pet care. I have seen Good Samaritans rescue injured pets and pay for their care. I have seen people promise to pay over time, and actually do it (most don't, sadly). I have had people tell me they wish their human healthcare experience was more like that of their pets. Most of us keep an "I don't suck" file with client letters and cards which we can look at after a run of assholes! It helps tremendously.

I love my vet and all people who take care of animals Heart I'm looking for a new vet now due to a move--I wish you lived in my area. At least, I don't think you are in CA?

I definitely don't get mad at any expenses for my animals--I want them to be healthy and live long lives. My last vet said that if reincarnation was a real thing, he wanted to come back as my animals---I kinda spoil them Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
03-09-2015, 01:20 AM
I mean, I'm better now, but it used to be "people speaking as if I'm any kind of threat to Gwyneth." There was one guy where I used to work who amused himself by calling me a stalker; and after investigating the emotional caused to my Gwynnies by an actual stalker, there was gonna be blood on the floor. That's the big one. I've got a couple of little ones, like people choosing to take offense, but fortunately Imma crazy ol' hermit with severly limited human interaction. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-09-2015, 01:04 PM
"I don't trust atheists cause they don't have a god to hold them accountable, they could just go do whatever they want"

I got that one the other day and I just cannot look at that person without remembering it. As if the 10%(or however much it is) of the population that is atheist is constantly out on murder sprees or raping people because there's no god. Bigots for the win.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
05-09-2015, 01:08 PM
That LOTR sucks.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-09-2015, 01:52 PM
(05-09-2015 01:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  That LOTR sucks.

Gasp

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze