Things that should not be said in your presence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2015, 07:53 AM
RE: Things that should not be said in your presence
(16-08-2015 07:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 05:36 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Ideas are dangerous. Words are not. Simple-minded word censorship is for Christards. *shrug*

Oh hell, there went my respect. Weeping

Now, if someone has actual hostile intent toward or negative opinions of people who have mental handicaps, that's an idea, a harmful one, and they're bad people who deserve your contempt.

Sorry I felt the need to pick a fight, here, but it irks the hell out of me when people tell me what words are okay or not okay to say.

But you did anyway.

I grew up in the days when anyone who had any issues mentally, physically, or emotionally was called a retard, many deaf kids were considered to be retarded when, in fact, they were anything but. Using the word retard now shows ignorance.

I don't really give a good god damn what words you use.

This thread is about things we don't like to hear. Not a petition to bend others to what we prefer.

You didn't post about what you "don't like to hear", you posted that you "lose all respect for" people who even use the term "Christard", which I do with some frequency. In effect, you declared that anyone who uses the term in a colloquial sense is not respectable. Indeed, you removed your +1 Rating from me as a result of my refusal to "bend", and my willingness to point out that the term can be used colloquially without attacking people who have mental disabilities, even by implication.

Words acquire new meanings that have little to do with their original sense; a good example is "queer" to refer to a person of non-hetero sexual orientation, which is now part of the LGBTQ standard terminology, and if used in a non-hostile manner is not an insult to their sexuality. Yet it is also a term that may be used in a hostile manner by an ignorant person, and when that occurs they should be called-out for it.

I never use the term "retard" to describe the mentally disabled because it's (as you point out) a word that previously had many wrong and cruel connotations, and therefore is cruel to use in that context. And anyone who is deliberately attacking people for things they cannot help is unworthy of respect. When the term "Christard" is used, it refers to people who have retarded (in the literal sense) their own intellectual growth and knowledge based on a fable that they prefer over reality. They have chosen to express stupid ideas because of their willful ignorance. It strikes me as appropriate and applicable without doing harm to people who have inborn disabilities.

While I agree 100% with Peebo about the odds that a person who sneers at the term "Politically Correct" is simply trying to justify bigotry, it is not necessarily the case; they may simply be objecting to the fact that many terms which were perfectly acceptable (without connotation) in their day are now taboo, and they're frustrated with trying to keep up with which terms are now "unacceptable", and what the "right" terminology is, this week.

I think being actively sensitive to other human beings (especially those who are now or have historically been oppressed) is a very good thing, and a habit which we should all practice... but that is not the same thing as the current online culture (found in other places more than here, thankfully, where we're typically more open to free expression of ideas) of "butt-hurt" over anyone who is less than 100% sensitive, to the point that even telling someone they are wrong gets a host of "How can you disrespect his opinion? We all have opinions, you big meanie!" replies.

And I posted my "pick a fight" because people who jump in on prohibited words rather than harmful ideas/bigotries is my primary "thing I do not like to hear".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
16-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Well, there are so many things but I guess if I had a list it would be sth like this:

- "Islam is a religion of peace"
- "That's offensive to me"
- "Anarchism is an oxymoron"
- "Lecturing me on how Natalism is good and rationally justified."
- "Hume was trying to disprove miracles with an -a priori- argument."
- "Terrorists are just trying to push back against western oppression."
- "Saying that Elfism is the same as Antinatalism."
- "god is all good"
- Saying that "fine-tuning is an argument."

"Dare to think!"
-Kant
16-08-2015, 09:15 AM
I don't like the long winded explanations trying to explain why a person wasnt being a dick when clearly they were being a dick, it just makes them look like an even bigger dick.

Starks Law- dont be a dick.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
16-08-2015, 09:22 AM
(15-08-2015 09:42 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 09:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Marriage is telling people you fuck this person without having to say I fuck this person.

Some of us who are married might disagree Tongue

I guess technically she's my common law suppose, but the sex is long gone.

Three words.....(for ladies of a certain age)

Female testosterone cream. Bowing

ThumbsupHeartThumbsup

Good for muscle tone too.

not that I know anything about this

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-08-2015, 09:30 AM
In real life I have very few moments when I feel offended, because my friends are awesome. Things I don't like to hear include "everything happens for a reason"--that just turns my argumentative side on, and it's usually being said in a situation where support's what's needed.

Also, because I have a special needs kid, "retard" and "short bus" grate on me. This kind of language isn't much used by the people I know, it's more people on the radio or on TV. I try not to get too bent out of shape, but I do feel that people who use those words just as a synonym for "stupid" may someday feel ashamed about that. I feel that way about my junior high school days when "queer" was used to insult other kids. Although there wasn't a real reference to homosexuality--it was the Bible belt in the 70s, no one was out--and the word was just used to mean freaky or uncool--I still feel bad about it, once I started meeting out gay people who had been hurt by the mindset behind that language.

Fighting words, for me, are when people start going on about how easy it is to get a SN diagnosis and how most SN kids don't have any real problems, it's just that their parents are too lazy to discipline them, and diagnoses are just a way to get their kids an advantage over the other kids in the classroom, etc.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
16-08-2015, 10:54 AM
'But you're a girl'
I want to punch them in the throat every time I hear it!

One time a friend has a new boyfriend, I was taking them some where so when he got in the car he looked at my 5 speed gear shift and said ' you drive a standard? But you're a girl!?'

I made them get out of my car! If you want someone to do you a favor you don't insult that person!
[+] 6 users Like purpledaisies's post
17-08-2015, 02:35 AM
No words can actually offend me unless I choose to let them.

Everyone looking for reasons to be offended grinds my gears and fuels my ever growing disdain for humanity. Or, at least American culture.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
17-08-2015, 05:26 AM
A word should not offend anyone. A statement, unless you have reason to believe it's affirming an action that has actually taken place - or affirming intent to action - should not offend anyone.

But being offended by just language in and of itself is retarded. Retarded.
17-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Advertising slogans and catch phrases that practically rely on bad grammar:

"Think different" (ARGHHHH Angry )

When people use "less" when you should be using "fewer" for a count noun (I have to bite my cheek when my boss does this, although to be fair, English is her second language).

e.g. "We'll have less problems once we move into the new building" No

(My kids now make up statements like this just to see me react) Laughat

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
19-08-2015, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2015 05:55 PM by Lienda Bella.)
#1 When a western feminist calls non-rape and very petty everyday annoyances rape.
Angry
#2 Calling things that aren't racist racist. ('shakes screen' STOP DOING THAT! >:x)

#3 Talking like poor people could pull a better quality of life out of their butt.

Each of these piss me off in under 1 minute.
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post