Things to do in New York

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2017, 07:25 AM
RE: Things to do in New York
Walk the streets and if you find yourself in front of the Trump Tower...make a sign and protest. Big Grin

It could read:

No self-respecting New Yorker eats pizza with a fork and knife...#impostor

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Walk around googley-eyed with a pocket full of Valium and crash at the Port Authority with a case of beer. Oh wait, that was me.

Pro tip: Find a homeless dude and buy his jacket off of him. Instant urban camo. Wink

(23-03-2017 07:20 AM)prhill Wrote:  Wear a bullet proof vest. Enjoy all the roaches and rats and trash that is every where.

What a ray of sunshine.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-03-2017, 09:35 AM
(23-03-2017 07:20 AM)prhill Wrote:  Wear a bullet proof vest. Enjoy all the roaches and rats and trash that is every where.

He's not visiting the city in the 1980s.

Still the greatest city in the world and I've seen a good amount of the world.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
23-03-2017, 09:58 AM
I traveled there by myself many times (hot to trot businesswoman that I was Smile ) and always felt safe.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
23-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Can you get tickets to Hamilton? New York Theatre would be the top of my list of stuff to do there.

[Image: 300513e30c23f441a05764ff69c114e7.jpg]

I'd also go see American Ballet Theatre. (Personally, I'd pass on Misty Copland. She has bad technique but that's a different topic)

[Image: ab0021_enlarge.jpg]

Arthur Miller's The Price is playing.

A purely girly thing to do is go to Tiffany's and look at the window display. Girl_nails

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-03-2017, 10:45 AM
(23-03-2017 09:35 AM)BnW Wrote:  Still the greatest city in the world and I've seen a good amount of the world.

The crowds are mind-blowing, so if you don't like people, stay home.

Blink
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
23-03-2017, 10:48 AM
(20-03-2017 09:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'll be in New York for a day or possibly more in June. I've already been to the 9/11 memorial, but haven't been to central park, or at the Statue of Liberty, or had an NY bagel, for example. What are some things I should do?

Those things pretty much say NYC so, take them in when you need a breath of fresh air. I highly suggest starting here for info on transportation and discounts.

For off the beaten path, how about ...

Fraunces Tavern, 54 Pearl Street - George slept there. Scroll down to "our story". You'll find great food, great brew and a great bit of US history.
Wall Street is kind of in the neighborhood so, you might want to check out that bit of exploitative thuggery.

The Frick, 1 East 70th Street. There's a Turner exhibition through the middle of May that looks worth checking out. If art is your thing.
Of course, if you really want the entire art museum package, site seeing wise ... there's always The Guggenheim - a work of modern art itself. They currently have a show I'd like to take in, featuring over 150 works of the great dead guys of early 20th century modern art.

I think the Big Bus tours are great and I'm certain they have hop-on/hop-off tours and specialty ones such as architectural tours and the like.

Good luck, have fun, take a shitload of photos and come back and make a thread of your debauchery adventures! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
23-03-2017, 10:54 AM
I know New York is a big place and all but any decent bars/pubs anybody would recommend?

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
23-03-2017, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 05:05 AM by yakherder.)
(23-03-2017 09:35 AM)BnW Wrote:  

He's not visiting the city in the 1980s.

The food is good, I'll give it that. The rest I wasn't too impressed with Big Grin. And while I admittedly prefer being out in the sticks over being in the giant cattle cars we refer to as cities, and am therefore arguably biased, I'd still take a trip to Shanghai or Tokyo over NYC.

I can't help but feel a twinge if disappointment when someone says something along the lines of "I only had a few days in the US so i visited NYC and Boston then flew to L.A." and I'm thinking to my (biased) self "Why not visit somewhere that's actually fun and interesting?".

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-03-2017, 12:25 PM
(23-03-2017 11:12 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 09:35 AM)BnW Wrote:  He's not visiting the city in the 1980s.

The food is good, I'll give it that. The rest I wasn't too impressed with Big Grin. And while I admittedly prefer being out in the sticks over being in the giant cattle cars we refer to as cities, and am therefore arguable biased, I'd still take a trip to Shanghai or Tokyo over NYC.

I can't help but feel a twinge if disappointment when someone says something along the lines of "I only had a few days in the US so i visited NYC and Boston then flew to L.A." and I'm thinking to my (biased) self "Why not visit somewhere that's actually fun and interesting?".

Yeah really if you only have a couple of days new York, Boston and LA are not the places I would go
[+] 1 user Likes prhill's post