Things to tell our grandchildren

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Wink Things to tell our grandchildren
So I just found this image http://i.imgur.com/QAq8d.jpg

In case the link won't work anymore at some point, this is what it says on the image:

Things to tell our grandchildren

I'm older than GOOGLE, smartphones and all these things you can't live without

We were the last non-wireless and non-cordless generation

Back in my days there were only 150 pokemon

I lived the Playstation and Xbox first generation

I lived the raise and the fall of the compact disk

At your age, the only thing I was scared of, was to step on lego.

I was born in another millenium

---------------------------------------------------------
I love the idea of this little list, feel free to contribute Big Grin

I have some more:

"My generation grew up with video tapes and cassettes and without high definition."
"I survived my childhood without computer"
"I played the first generation of the gameboy and nintendo console"

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 04:28 PM
RE: Things to tell our grandchildren
If you put
PHP Code:
[img] [/img
Before and after that image you can embed it.

I think ill use some of these in the case i have grand kids someday, you need these kind of story's as a grandparent its kind of mandatory.

Although i may use the classics like "when i was your age we used to walk 17 miles in the snow every morning to school carrying a spare tire and the kitchen sink in my bag".

"music in my day was better".
and
"in my day we didn't have hover boards"

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 09:35 PM by itsacow.)
For my generation...

When I was your age sonny, when we got mad at our computers we did not bang our heads against the desk..

Here let me put some good music on, its Eminem.

In my day, boy, Google was only a search engine.

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Back in my day.....

We controlled computergames with our hands.
Some people paid for things with paper and metal.
We thought firing up the Large Hadron Collider had the potential to create tiny black holes..... and we didnt know what held the universe together.
Space travel was for billionaires.
People used more herbs to treat ailments rather than pharmacuticals.
There was less diabetes.
(insert animal/insect/plant) wasnt extinct and I saw them in zoos.

(and in my dreams/aspirations to say to my grandchildren)

We used to be ruled by horrible people who used to think more of money than the good of the planet and its inhabitants.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
"In my day robots where just kids toys or used in manufacturing and not our brutal overlords..."

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
09-04-2012, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 07:32 PM by Anjele.)
Well now that I feel totally ancient...

We had only dial phones, connected to the wall with a short cord. My grandparents had a party line, if you don't know what that is, please Google it, my old self can't take the abuse.

We played jump rope and hopscotch...no really, we did, nearly every day.

We rode bikes and had roller skates with keys that fit poorly over our shoes. And we didn't have helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, or mouth guards...or reflective tape...and a hell of a lot of us survived.

Our one TV was black and white and fairly small. The "remote" was dad sending one of us kids to change the dial to one of the three stations we could get. And TV signed off at midnight, after the national anthem was played, we got to stare at a test pattern (you may look that up too).

At the gas station, someone ran out and pumped your gas, washed your windshield, checked your oil, would add air to your tires and water to your radiator and you paid a quarter a gallon for gas and all that service...they were "service" stations.

There weren't any home computers, hell, there weren't any work computers. We kept dad's books on ledger cards...that's where I learned a debit from a credit.

Schools had mimeograph machines to make copies and they smelled so good...of course we didn't know we were actually huffing fumes. The first thing we did with new copies when they were handed out was raise them to our faces so we could inhale deeply.

We played board games and cards. Slap jack and War and gin rummy and solitaire without a mouse or a screen.

We played records...yes kids, actual vinyl...I still have some. My parents actually had 78s. Look that up too, my depression is deepening. I have seen vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, and now I can store all the albums I ever owned, every 8 track, cassette and CD on a tiny little Ipod.

We had to read real books and use real encyclopedias and dictionaries as there was no other way to research things, even for school. There was no internet, no Kindle.

Most of the radio stations were AM and they weren't that great as far as reception goes when you were far away from a city. I remember listening late at night to KAAY which played the deep cuts of rock music that regular radio wouldn't touch.

I actually learned to sew on my grandmother's treadle machine. In my early 20s I lived in my grandparents' house and used grandma's wringer washer and hung clothes on the clothesline in good weather and in the basement in bad. I don't know how many buttons and snaps I ruined before I figured out how to feed the clothes through the wringers.

ACK...time to go slit my wrists.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
09-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Ha ha! My daughter told me I'm so old I am born in the 1900's. Lol. That did make me feel old though Confused It's been in the 2000 for awhile now.... 2000 used to seem so far away.
10-04-2012, 01:45 AM
FSM I didn't use the img code because the img is so big.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
10-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Back in my day I had a pager.

Our first computer didn't have a start button or icons. Just command prompts that made you type in the file you wanted.

I remember when gas was around 80 cents per gallon.

My first TV had 2 dials on it. 1-13 and 14-50. Only 1-13 worked and they weren't all clear.

MTV used to have these things called music videos.

There wasn't any reality TV until the 90s.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I know what this is

[Image: 250px-Tdkc60cassette.jpg]

(you know... I can even say this to my daughter)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post