Things will never change.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Things will never change.
I have come to terms with the fact that this world aint ever gonna change. Goverments are allways going to do things in there own interest....not the peoples.

There is going to be no "mass awakening" of the truth of how corrupt the world powers are because people allready inherently know....they may not know the details but hey.......if it isnt in the mainstream media or is against your lifetimes amount of brainwashing then its all just bullshit isnt it Rolleyes

Im never going to be "free" and people are going to continue to suffer and die from bullshit wars that are only fought for "money/power"

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
20-12-2011, 09:27 AM
RE: Things will never change.
Well at least nothing will change soon.
Maybe maybe ooonly maybe sometime in the future.
But for the reasons you stated it is unlikely.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2011, 11:06 AM
This sounds so pessimistic, and doesn't reflect the reality that I'm aware of.

Do you have a cell phone? Most people do. It allows them to be contacted anywhere. Roadside emergencies are rarely as bad, and going to the movies includes a new hazard/annoyance that it didn't have before.

I know you're using the internet. Did you post on forums 20 years ago? This activity, that actually made up a part of your day today, was not a part of your life at one point.

Now I know what you're thinking - "I was talking about the nature of people and our government, not technology. Obviously technology changes!" But this changes human nature, too. Information is at your fingertips, and so you can know more and learn easier, as well as cite your sources in an argument. This may not be the "mass awakening" of truth you picture, but then again you didn't define it... that's what I think of when I hear that phrase.

Will people always act in their own interest? Well that doesn't appear to have changed, nor does it have reason to change... acting in your own interest in a survival instinct, so for as long as people want to continue to survive, they'll continue to do so. But I don't see any reason to be upset about it. Do your best to live by the golden rule and pass it on, and we can only hope that education will do what it does - teach people.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
20-12-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think that all the media we have changes people that much. It changes some behavior as you are stating but not their brains.
People who didn't read the good books 20 years ago are not visiting the good internetsites now.
People who liked to watch the TV for 4 hours a day 20 years ago watch the TV 2 hours and youtube 2 hours a day now.
People who like to chat, do that online, and people who used to have pen friends are in forums.
Get my point?

The fact that information is available is not what changes people, because information is available since a long time. I used to go to the library a lot before I had a computer Wink

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
21-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool True Believer.

Things DO change.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-12-2011, 02:51 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eppur_si_muove

Things do change.
21-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Without looking up dates to back up my evidence, I will simply point out a few themes:

For how many millenia was slavery practiced? Not saying it doesn't still exist in some forms, but is it legal in any country?

How long were women considered chattel? How long did it take them to get the vote? Yet now, every democracy I'm aware of has shared the vote with women.

How long did humans go without understanding germs and the need for hygiene and clean water, etc?

How long were our ancestors hunter-gatherers before they developed agriculture?

In The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins has a section on how quickly the Zeitgeist changes. I became convinced that things change.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Quit it. Your chemistry is talking. It's that time of the year again - Halloween - when the evil put on their mask of good and go out caroling. The heck with them. Break out the whiskey and dubsteb, turn off the damn TV - and don't sober up till January, and things will be right as rain. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-12-2011, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2011 06:23 PM by jakejakelamasabachtani.)
(20-12-2011 11:06 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Will people always act in their own interest? Well that doesn't appear to have changed, nor does it have reason to change... acting in your own interest in a survival instinct, so for as long as people want to continue to survive, they'll continue to do so. But I don't see any reason to be upset about it. Do your best to live by the golden rule and pass it on, and we can only hope that education will do what it does - teach people.

Great answer, I'd also add that when you give too much, they'll take too much. Have you ever seen people in mall running like a bunch of headless chickens when one store show a blowout sale? Nobody cares about nobody, one could even get stampeded over a bunch of running and screaming human-rhino just so they can save 5 cent LOL.

Being in this forum is first in my own interest so I can learn more about other atheists around the globe, and they get to laugh whenever I wrote those made up names I come up with when describing theists Big Grin.

In the same line of example... a rich dude or dudette that decide to give million of money for a cause, they feel very good about themselves doing so (and yes it is a good gesture) but being from a rich family I also know that it is a very good mean to get rid of exedent money before end of year taxes... It's in their own interest but also in other people's interest as well. I went to help in poor villages some places in the world... my interest was that I got to travel without the hassle of dealing with Travel agencies, and the people I helped got an extra arm and lot of beer to drink Big Grin

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.
[+] 1 user Likes jakejakelamasabachtani's post
22-12-2011, 06:46 PM
(20-12-2011 09:20 AM)bemore Wrote:  I have come to terms with the fact that this world aint ever gonna change. Goverments are allways going to do things in there own interest....not the peoples.

There is going to be no "mass awakening" of the truth of how corrupt the world powers are because people allready inherently know....they may not know the details but hey.......if it isnt in the mainstream media or is against your lifetimes amount of brainwashing then its all just bullshit isnt it Rolleyes

Im never going to be "free" and people are going to continue to suffer and die from bullshit wars that are only fought for "money/power"

I think that is supposed to read, "people are always going to do things in there own interest...not the people."