Things you missed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2018, 01:33 AM
Things you missed
Ever had an opportunity to witness history you missed?

I have a couple times - one that still rankles me -

I got out of the service in July of 1986.

The last month or so I was in, I did a bunch of riding - going places I knew I'd miss once I left California.

I was in San Francisco seeing some friends, and we were riding around the city - hitting bars and having a good time. The weather was exceptional. Dry, and warm. Sunny, light breeze. Perfect. It was summer solstice.

We rode down by Baker Beach - a public beach West of the South end of the Golden Gate bridge. It' s the scenery they put on post cards.

Some people were on the beach - constructing some sort of wooden effigy. Weird in most places - almost pedestrian in San Francisco.

We later heard that the people on the beach had set their wooden man on fire.

Yup.

You guessed it.

I rode past the first Burning Man.

Sadcryface

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-05-2018, 10:09 AM
RE: Things you missed
When I was about 13 or so I heard the double sonic boom of the first space shuttle to land. They used to land them out in the Mojave desert in the beginning and we were living in gawd awful Bakersfield which is near the Mojave desert. The suttle few right over our house and although I didn't see it because I was in the house I heard the double sonic boom and went running outside. It was so LOUD!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-05-2018, 10:30 AM
When I was a kid, my father drove us all up to the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis every summer.

On September 3, 1964, the Beatles were playing at the Coliseum. We heard the noise as we walked by, but that was it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
16-05-2018, 10:37 AM
(16-05-2018 01:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
You guessed it.
Burning Man.

Ohmy

Blink

No

Nope. Didn't guess it. Never heard of it.

Enlighten me.

(so to speak)

we were riding around the city ...

Never knew you owned a horse.

That's pretty cool.

Thumbsup

16-05-2018, 10:48 AM
(16-05-2018 10:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
You guessed it.
Burning Man.
Nope. Didn't guess it. Never heard of it.

Enlighten me.

Check Google Images for "Burning Man." That should give you a good general impression of the yearly U.S. event.
16-05-2018, 10:55 AM
We went to South Carolina last year and tried to kill 2 birds with one stone. We wanted to visit my GFs family who happen to live in the path of totality for last years eclipse. Her family through a BBQ and it was nice and sunny up until an hour before the eclipse. The clouds started rolling in, then full on thunderstorms for the next 4 hours. Completely missed it. That one still hurts.

Luckily the next one in a few years is coming through Texas where I live so I should be able to see it.
16-05-2018, 11:34 AM
I've been thinking about this and I haven't missed much (I don't count things that I didn't live close enough to or concerts that I didn't get a ticket for). Strange I know, yes I saw the first several burning man (the first couple weren't called burning man but I don't recall what they were called -- I tossed my Nordstrom credit card into the fire and never looked back.

My friend Joan from grammar school had several older siblings. One of her sisters lamented that she had tickets to see Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Pop, and didn't go. If it were me I'd be kicking myself too, especially if the reason was because my stupid boyfriend decided that the concert wasn't going to be cool and it was better to go to some lame shit party instead.

She didn't make that mistake when the Stones played Altamont.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-05-2018, 12:05 PM
I (sort of) missed several terrorist attacks in the late 1970s/early 1980s. My employer at the time periodically sent me over to Europe (Germany 3 times and England once) to test and/or maintain our products. Our German customer was near Munich, so I spent my weekends while I was there touring and sightseeing in Munich. In England, I was in Stevenage, not too far from London, so I went to London on the weekends.

Anyway, one of my trips to Germany was scheduled for September 1980. I was looking forward to checking out Oktoberfest, but was disappointed when the trip got pushed back a few months. Lucky me -- that was the year Oktoberfest got bombed, killing 13 people and injuring a few hundred others. A few years later, an American Express office in London was bombed while I was in England. My main credit card at the time was an American Express card, and I periodically had to stop in that office to make payments, etc. (I was in England for two months). Fortunately, I did not go there on the day of the bombing.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-05-2018, 03:00 PM
There were some serial killers in San Francisco when I was living there called the Zebra killers, they generally targeted white people alone. One night I walked from Civic Center to Geary St. along Van Ness to catch the 38 bus. The next day I picked up my Chronicle to read that there were two Zebra murders the night before. I realized I had been walking alone across their path.

4th of July 1976 there was going to be a huge fireworks display based on Alcatraz island. My soon to be in laws had a home with a fine view of the island. The extended family gathered to watch the display. The trouble was the fog had rolled in. Every once in awhile you could see a red glow in the fog other than that it was a dud.
16-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Went to a Ted Nugent concert in Cleveland around 1979. Was visiting a guy I dated in HS and staying with him and his older brothers. After the opening act I went to find a restroom and could not find our seats back. I wandered a while and then sat in the lobby figuring I would either be looked for and found by the people I was with or they would find me on the way out after the concert.

No, I don't know who the opening act was. Yes, I missed the whole concert.

And...Quaaludes may have been involved. Undecided

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post