Things you missed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Things you missed
(16-05-2018 10:09 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was about 13 or so I heard the double sonic boom of the first space shuttle to land. They used to land them out in the Mojave desert in the beginning and we were living in gawd awful Bakersfield which is near the Mojave desert. The suttle few right over our house and although I didn't see it because I was in the house I heard the double sonic boom and went running outside. It was so LOUD!

I was living in Paso Robles at the time, and heard the very same double-boom that April afternoon. Saw its contrail as well. I had ditched school.

As an Air Force firefighter, I did standby duty on one of the last downloads of alert nuclear bombers in American history.

Of course, a ringside seat in Iran.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
16-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Leon Russell, ZZ Topp. All in one concert. Did waaaaaay too many drugs and drank too much alcohol before we left for the concert and on the way there. I vaguely remember a smoke bomb and a hat. Vaguely.

And puking. I definitely remember puking.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
16-05-2018, 04:38 PM
The Oxnard unemployment office was the scene of a mass-shooting in Dec 1993.

It happened a couple days after I'd been in there to open an unemployment claim.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-05-2018, 05:52 PM
(16-05-2018 04:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(16-05-2018 10:09 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was about 13 or so I heard the double sonic boom of the first space shuttle to land. They used to land them out in the Mojave desert in the beginning and we were living in gawd awful Bakersfield which is near the Mojave desert. The suttle few right over our house and although I didn't see it because I was in the house I heard the double sonic boom and went running outside. It was so LOUD!

I was living in Paso Robles at the time, and heard the very same double-boom that April afternoon. Saw its contrail as well. I had ditched school.

As an Air Force firefighter, I did standby duty on one of the last downloads of alert nuclear bombers in American history.

The next time it was scheduled to land in the Mojave I was ready for it. I waited outside and sort of saw a tiny sliver of it way up in the sky and heard the double sonic boom again. I can't remember how many times they landed out there before they changed to.....what was it? Houston? It was really neat to see the Space Shuttle coming in for a landing even if it was an itty-bitty thing up in the sky.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-05-2018, 06:45 PM
[quote='Anjele' pid='1334507' dateline='1526505734']
Went to a Ted Nugent concert in Cleveland around 1979. Was visiting a guy I dated in HS and staying wit

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
16-05-2018, 08:36 PM
(16-05-2018 12:05 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Anyway, one of my trips to Germany was scheduled for September 1980. I was looking forward to checking out Oktoberfest, but was disappointed when the trip got pushed back a few months. Lucky me -- that was the year Oktoberfest got bombed, killing 13 people and injuring a few hundred others.

I was in Munich that day. I was at the Oktoberfest with friends, and afterwards met relatives for dinner in a restaurant that had a view of the entrance to the grounds. I left there an hour before it happened.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-05-2018, 10:34 PM
(16-05-2018 04:21 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Lynyrd Skynyrd, Leon Russell, ZZ Topp. All in one concert. Did waaaaaay too many drugs and drank too much alcohol before we left for the concert and on the way there. I vaguely remember a smoke bomb and a hat. Vaguely.

The only reason I know of Leon Russell is because my mother's a huge fan of him. Laugh out load

Have heard his songs way too many times.
16-05-2018, 10:46 PM
(16-05-2018 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-05-2018 04:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I was living in Paso Robles at the time, and heard the very same double-boom that April afternoon. Saw its contrail as well. I had ditched school.

The next time it was scheduled to land in the Mojave I was ready for it. I waited outside and sort of saw a tiny sliver of it way up in the sky and heard the double sonic boom again. I can't remember how many times they landed out there before they changed to.....what was it? Houston? It was really neat to see the Space Shuttle coming in for a landing even if it was an itty-bitty thing up in the sky.

They changed to Kennedy Space Center in Florida sometime in the 80s, don't remember when.
17-05-2018, 06:55 AM
(16-05-2018 10:34 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(16-05-2018 04:21 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Lynyrd Skynyrd, Leon Russell, ZZ Topp. All in one concert. Did waaaaaay too many drugs and drank too much alcohol before we left for the concert and on the way there. I vaguely remember a smoke bomb and a hat. Vaguely.

The only reason I know of Leon Russell is because my mother's a huge fan of him. Laugh out load

Have heard his songs way too many times.

I was never a big fan of either Leon Russell or The Carpenters, but he wrote "Superstar", which I liked a lot -- it may have been the best song The Carpenters ever did.

[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post