Think I'm at an emotional crisis in my life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Think I'm at an emotional crisis in my life
I fear I may be turning into the sad angry rudderless atheist. I'm not sure what to do. My career seems to be burning out. Ive been unemployed for the entire spring and wanting some kind of change and under a lot of stress. I really don't know what to do. This is not in the same category as what GirlyMan is going through but it is pretty stressfull. I'm heading for a major crisis if this does not change very soon.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2013, 09:33 AM
RE: Think I'm at an emotional crisis in my life
Sorry you're going through tough times Sad

What sort of options do you have ? Any ideas for what you'd like to do ?
20-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Aww, sorry you're feeling like this. And job stress is tough! What sort of changes do you want, within your current career or something completely new?

Hang in there!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
20-04-2013, 11:37 AM
(20-04-2013 07:06 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I fear I may be turning into the sad angry rudderless atheist. I'm not sure what to do. My career seems to be burning out. Ive been unemployed for the entire spring and wanting some kind of change and under a lot of stress. I really don't know what to do. This is not in the same category as what GirlyMan is going through but it is pretty stressfull. I'm heading for a major crisis if this does not change very soon.

Hug

We are here for you....if you need to vent or rant about stuff that's wrong. Sometimes life just sucks.

I don't know how to tell you all just how crazy this life feels
Look around for the friends that I used to turn to to pull me through
Looking into their eyes I see them running too -- Running on Empty; Jackson Browne

20-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Oh man, I'm right there with you job wise anyway. *hug* We just need to take the bull by the horns and make the changes we need I think.
20-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Sad RE: Think I'm at an emotional crisis in my life
Thanks, all. For the kind words and wishes

Right now I've been out of work for four months. I do contract work in aerospace which pays pretty god but is capricious. I've found it very difficult to land direct work and am getting burned out from traveling all over the place to work these jobs. I need permanence in a career and stability. I went into aero because I loved airplanes. Now I'm watching the business decline and the technical work being slowly moved overseas where the labor is cheaper. The major OEMs (Boeing, etc.) aren't training and developing new talent and passing on the craft of designing airplanes and spacecraft to the next generation. Instead they just hire senior employees with 20 years of experience (I think they're doing this as an interim strategy prior to farming all engineering out to Malaysia, India, etc.). so its no wonder the best talent is fleeing to places like Google, Apple, Goldman Sachs, etc. instead of stating with aviation. Add to that I'm becoming at odds with the corporate culture within aerospace (the design groups are turning into right wing monkey houses who are absolutely intolerant of any other POV) and I'm seeing the handwriting on he wall. I feel like shit about it, but its totally out of my hands. And I'm fighting the feeling that I've failed in life. I'm just about to capitulate and go into finance or computer science or some other path with more mainstream acceptance than what I currently do.

In a way, maybe it's just for the best. That's just how the world works, that's all. The developing nations are taking over the technology R&D. The US and other colonial western countries are transitioning to managing the capital and money required to do this. I don't like it because we are destroying our industrial base and capabilities just to make a buck, but its a leviathan so big you just can't stop it - or until the dollar crashes and the economy goes completely to shit.

I'm planning to go back go school this summer to begin work on a CS degree, but with so much of the tech and software jobs being moved overseas, I wonder if ill be able to land a job when I graduate.

Another option would be going into finance and investment - move and grow someone else's pool of money for them. Be kinda a fish out of water since the tech world is all I've known for the past ten years. But who knows?

I'm not sure what to do.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
21-04-2013, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2013 02:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-04-2013 11:26 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I'm planning to go back go school this summer to begin work on a CS degree, but with so much of the tech and software jobs being moved overseas, I wonder if ill be able to land a job when I graduate.

Do it. The menial programming tasks are being outsourced but few companies are outsourcing the software architects who define the system and decide which menial programming tasks need to be stitched together and monitor the quality of the outsourced work. I mean that's the company's intellectual property, they're not gonna trust that to be outsourced. What this means is that while there may be fewer entry level CS positions, if a company sees the potential for project management and systems engineering, you got a fast track to a buck and a half a year. Thumbsup

(20-04-2013 11:26 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Another option would be going into finance and investment - move and grow someone else's pool of money for them. Be kinda a fish out of water since the tech world is all I've known for the past ten years. But who knows?

GirlyBro was an actuary. There's good money to be made there too and very high demand vs. supply ratio, but it's a shitload of applied statistics coupled with a deep understanding of all the legal aspects. Took GirlyBro 10 years to pass all the exams required to become a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries and he was quicker than average. That's like more than a PhD level of commitment. My brother was very good at it, I'm better with software.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-04-2013, 08:07 PM
You feel a major change in the air and unfortunately human nature doesn't agree with change.

Take the plunge, it will feel fine once you are swimming.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Change is not always bad. We don't always see it that way at first and sometimes fight it tooth and nail only to move on and find out it was the right thing to do.

Good luck!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-04-2013, 11:21 PM
This looks like it smells of opportunity! You just need to start setting the goals and working towards them. People with goals are more likely to feel success and be successful, even if it's a work in progress (re: fighting the feeling of having failed).

Your conclusions of your job seem logical and your next move seems like something attainable. You just need to deal with whatever is holding you back and go for those goals. Some people find making pro/con charts help. Me, I go for a holiday and the mental and physical reprieve gives me great perspective for how I actually feel and what the right moves will be. It's how I made my last and greatest career move, too. Smile Looks like Girly has an in on some info in the biz too, so it's good to receive guidance from people in the know- I see a green light Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post