Think I'm at an emotional crisis in my life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: Think I'm at an emotional crisis in my life
(21-04-2013 02:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 11:26 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I'm planning to go back go school this summer to begin work on a CS degree, but with so much of the tech and software jobs being moved overseas, I wonder if ill be able to land a job when I graduate.

Do it. The menial programming tasks are being outsourced but few companies are outsourcing the software architects who define the system and decide which menial programming tasks need to be stitched together and monitor the quality of the outsourced work. I mean that's the company's intellectual property, they're not gonna trust that to be outsourced. What this means is that while there may be fewer entry level CS positions, if a company sees the potential for project management and systems engineering, you got a fast track to a buck and a half a year. Thumbsup

(20-04-2013 11:26 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Another option would be going into finance and investment - move and grow someone else's pool of money for them. Be kinda a fish out of water since the tech world is all I've known for the past ten years. But who knows?

GirlyBro was an actuary. There's good money to be made there too and very high demand vs. supply ratio, but it's a shitload of applied statistics coupled with a deep understanding of all the legal aspects. Took GirlyBro 10 years to pass all the exams required to become a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries and he was quicker than average. That's like more than a PhD level of commitment. My brother was very good at it, I'm better with software.

Yeah, I'm really beginning to see the light and what's available there. I just wish the other path had worked, but I see the need to change. I think I'll be happier on the new career path. Thanks for the thoughts GM. And best wishes.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2013, 09:03 AM
(22-04-2013 09:17 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 02:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do it. The menial programming tasks are being outsourced but few companies are outsourcing the software architects who define the system and decide which menial programming tasks need to be stitched together and monitor the quality of the outsourced work. I mean that's the company's intellectual property, they're not gonna trust that to be outsourced. What this means is that while there may be fewer entry level CS positions, if a company sees the potential for project management and systems engineering, you got a fast track to a buck and a half a year. Thumbsup

GirlyBro was an actuary. There's good money to be made there too and very high demand vs. supply ratio, but it's a shitload of applied statistics coupled with a deep understanding of all the legal aspects. Took GirlyBro 10 years to pass all the exams required to become a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries and he was quicker than average. That's like more than a PhD level of commitment. My brother was very good at it, I'm better with software.

Yeah, I'm really beginning to see the light and what's available there. I just wish the other path had worked, but I see the need to change. I think I'll be happier on the new career path. Thanks for the thoughts GM. And best wishes.

ITS OVER!!!!! Seven months of pure shit came to and end today with a job offer here in my hometown. Long overdue, too!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
18-07-2013, 09:20 AM
(18-07-2013 09:03 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 09:17 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Yeah, I'm really beginning to see the light and what's available there. I just wish the other path had worked, but I see the need to change. I think I'll be happier on the new career path. Thanks for the thoughts GM. And best wishes.

ITS OVER!!!!! Seven months of pure shit came to and end today with a job offer here in my hometown. Long overdue, too!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Smile Yay for you!
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Great! Congrats and I hope you'll love the new job!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-07-2013, 09:40 AM
YAY! ClapBanana_zorroClapBanana_zorroClapBanana_zorroClap

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post