Think Trump is Scary? This is Scarier.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 08:07 PM
RE: Think Trump is Scary? This is Scarier.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
18-07-2017, 08:40 PM
What if the potential for fake videos causes people to stop trusting the media Gasp

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
18-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Well, as currently over one third of the voting populace either doesn't care or cannot tell when they're being told the most bare-faced of lies, I don't see this would change all that much.

The far right would accuse liberals of using it against cons when they're not and believe all the cons, who definitely would.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post
18-07-2017, 09:18 PM
(18-07-2017 02:56 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  We'll need a law to criminalize the use of this technology on a sitting politician. Could you imagine the panic that could be caused if a video emerged of the president saying something like an asteroid is about to hit earth or a pending invasion?

We must be very careful with this.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Asteroid to hit earth. Video. Will cost billions and billions. Sad!

RandomTweeter
@Dontbelievewotyouwatch
Lol. Is that Asteroid Covefefe?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Arm yourselves. Mexico has declared WAR!! Video. Seems like some of them are NOT nice people!

RandomTweeter
@Dontbelievewotyouwatch
Lol. Not worried. Your wall will not fall. You did finish the wall, right?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Now Canadia is invading from The North!!! Video.

RandomTweeter
@Dontbelievewotyouwatch
Watched the vid. Looks cold up there. Quick! Send a raven to Jon Snow.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-07-2017, 12:05 AM
I don't think you guys are seeing the potential here. This makes it possible to have the equivalent of a video of Martin Luther King publicly advocating the assassination of an Alabama sheriff. Of having the leading proponent of Planned Parenthood publicly advocating grinding up unwanted infants alive in Cuisinarts.

Genies once out of the bottle are forever out of the bottle and we have to live with them. But was this particular genie fulfilling some unmet urgent need? Why develop something like this at all?

And as I said in the OP, why aren't we making any efforts to educate and immunize ourselves against propaganda, instead of increasing its reach and effectiveness? That bothers me most of all.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
19-07-2017, 02:09 AM
(19-07-2017 12:05 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  I don't think you guys are seeing the potential here. This makes it possible to have the equivalent of a video of Martin Luther King publicly advocating the assassination of an Alabama sheriff. Of having the leading proponent of Planned Parenthood publicly advocating grinding up unwanted infants alive in Cuisinarts.

Genies once out of the bottle are forever out of the bottle and we have to live with them. But was this particular genie fulfilling some unmet urgent need? Why develop something like this at all?

And as I said in the OP, why aren't we making any efforts to educate and immunize ourselves against propaganda, instead of increasing its reach and effectiveness? That bothers me most of all.

So, here's the thing, data integrity issues have been with us for a long time. We are a species who have evolved to deceive and to detect deceit. And some people do that better than others.

How do we know, for example, that CCTV footage used in a trial has not been tampered with?

A few month's back a student (middle management guy, far from stupid) showed me a video of a girl being eaten by a crocodile. My first reaction was scepticism so I googled and found it and showed him the un-clipped version ...

Point being, we already live in a world where people (and not just the religious) believe uncritically.

On the other hand, many have learned that we can't take the written word at (type)face value. Others (perhaps the younger ones) have that lesson ahead of them. Others, of course, will still prefer to have their biases confirmed and won't dig too deeply.

So what would a world look like where people get used to the idea that video can't be taken at face value (literally and figuratively)... much as it does now, I suspect.

Confused

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-07-2017, 03:54 PM
(18-07-2017 02:56 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  We'll need a law to criminalize the use of this technology on a sitting politician. Could you imagine the panic that could be caused if a video emerged of the president saying something like an asteroid is about to hit earth or a pending invasion?

We must be very careful with this.

It's not often I agree with you, but I do in this case. And the point is not to protect the politician, but to protect the truth.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-07-2017, 04:12 PM
(18-07-2017 03:07 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 03:04 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  We could use it in translating of what politicians say to what they actually mean. Such editing would be hilarious - imagine some clown speaking that all he want is good of his loyal voters and some good soul putting effort in translating such drivel with probable result being "all I wan are your votes".

>.> if we did this we might actually see a dramatic rise in honesty from our politicians. Albee it against their will lol.

Now there's a thought I really need to get used to!! Blink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Ron NL-S's post
19-07-2017, 06:01 PM
(19-07-2017 12:05 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  I don't think you guys are seeing the potential here. This makes it possible to have the equivalent of a video of Martin Luther King publicly advocating the assassination of an Alabama sheriff. Of having the leading proponent of Planned Parenthood publicly advocating grinding up unwanted infants alive in Cuisinarts.

Do not underestimate the power -- and free time -- of our technological nerds and geeks (TNG).

Our home phones started being badgered with solicitations; TNG gave us answering machines and call-blocking.

We got hit with longer and longer strings of commercials; TNG gave us TiVo SkipMode.

We were deluged with cell phones in every possible annoying context; TNG gave us cell phone jammers.

Our neighbors started spying on us with drones; TNG gave us shotguns (An earlier generation of TNG, granted. Wonder how they knew?)

They sent us RFID and EMV+ credit cards that could be remotely milked for personal ID data; TNG gave us RFID blocking fashion accessories.

They started tracking us in our trucks, buses, and cars; TNG gave us GPS jammers.

For any new technology that appears, it's only a matter of time before someone devises a technological way to block, hijack, or otherwise defeat it. For some people, it's a challenge. So I'm not too worried.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
19-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Think of all the great Hitler parodies that could be made, though.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!