Think Trump is Scary? This is Scarier.
Post Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
19-07-2017, 07:26 PM
RE: Think Trump is Scary? This is Scarier.
(19-07-2017 06:01 PM)Dr H Wrote:  ... So I'm not too worried ...

Except that our political leadership and representation is generally awful (congress approval ratings are routinely below "stepping in dogshit") - to which I attribute our culturally uncritical and largely uninformed discourse. Your list of "remedies" is wide, but all of them are technical tactical reactions, none attempt to rectify the core problem: human perfidy and being able to recognize it. At this moment significant social advances in the United States are seriously imperiled because such a large cohort of the population is so crippled in discourse it can't even recognize when it's being insulted, let alone being fooled, bamboozled and flayed.

This new mouth engine can be technologically defeated: devise an image sensor that can instantly detect that a portion of the image (the mouth) has a small finite set of pixel configurations and you've "caught" the ruse. But how much better would it be if we so culturally despised propaganda no one would think this engine would have any market, nor would it have any market. That's my complaint, expressed for the third time in this thread: why aren't we defeating the instruments of propaganda instead of enhancing them?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2017, 08:35 AM
RE: Think Trump is Scary? This is Scarier.
(19-07-2017 07:26 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  That's my complaint, expressed for the third time in this thread: why aren't we defeating the instruments of propaganda instead of enhancing them?

Because in the political sphere, Americans seem to be much more concerned with being Right™ than being, well, correct.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-07-2017, 01:19 PM
RE: Think Trump is Scary? This is Scarier.
(19-07-2017 07:26 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 06:01 PM)Dr H Wrote:  ... So I'm not too worried ...
Except that our political leadership and representation is generally awful (congress approval ratings are routinely below "stepping in dogshit") - to which I attribute our culturally uncritical and largely uninformed discourse. Your list of "remedies" is wide, but all of them are technical tactical reactions, none attempt to rectify the core problem: human perfidy and being able to recognize it.
That's been a problem since long before we developed most technologies. Quite likely, it predates agriculture.

Quote:At this moment significant social advances in the United States are seriously imperiled because such a large cohort of the population is so crippled in discourse it can't even recognize when it's being insulted, let alone being fooled, bamboozled and flayed.
<shrug> There's been a sizeable contingent of voters who have more or less consistently voted against their own best interests, for as long as I've been alive. My dad used to complain about the same thing, so I'm pretty sure it didn't start with my generation.

Quote:This new mouth engine can be technologically defeated: devise an image sensor that can instantly detect that a portion of the image (the mouth) has a small finite set of pixel configurations and you've "caught" the ruse.
Sure. Just like "doctored" photos can be exposed by people with the knowledge and tools to know what to look for. The operative term being "knowledge". There is no substitute for a good education.

Quote:But how much better would it be if we so culturally despised propaganda no one would think this engine would have any market, nor would it have any market. That's my complaint, expressed for the third time in this thread: why aren't we defeating the instruments of propaganda instead of enhancing them?
If propaganda is done well, most people won't even realize that they've been propagandized. That also has been around for a long time; it's not surprising that new technologies are applied to it, as they arise.

I do think it's important to be aware of such technologies, and use that awareness to inform a pattern of critical thinking. First, of course, you have to train people to think critically, which most people are not. Unless that's done, people won't recognize propaganda whether it's printed in a newspaper, or heard from a pair of synthesized lips.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply
Forum Jump: