Think about it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Think about it
You too will be here some day... and how will you feel?

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Think about it
Well, I won't be there but I get what you mean.

Do you have a vision of a different society / culture that addresses these issues?

08-03-2014, 04:13 PM
(08-03-2014 03:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, I won't be there but I get what you mean.

Do you have a vision of a different society / culture that addresses these issues?

Yeah, I dont think I will be either, but the youth in this country (US) is an entitled, whiny bunch that havent got a clue about life yet, but act as if they've got it all figured out and the older folks are just "fools".

I understand the mentality....I was once young and wish I would have listened to those that have been around the block a time or two.

I've been through things and seen more than this self important bunch of kids that feel a need to feed their ego than most will ever have to deal with in a life time. And I truely wish that they dont have to go through what I've been through. Yet they judge from their limited experience as being "wise".

It all makes me laugh really, but also very sad for them.

Not every older person is a rocket scientist, but most do have a PHD in life.

There are plenty of cultures that respect and learn from their elders, and also do better for that in the way they live life...... but here in this country... pffft, not a chance.

About the only thing kids could teach me at this point is what to do with a computer problem or how to play a internet game....doesnt seem very important in the greater scheme of things to me or much in the way of survival in the real hard world.

this goes back to giving every punk an award for being the part of a team that lost the game...... gotta boost those losers ego's at an ealy age so they can feel entitled in the adult world. I dont get it, what the fuck is wrong with this picture?

[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
08-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Well, hopefully we won't all be there.

I've learned to appreciate older people's wisdom, but to a certain extent. My grandma's rants about how my sister's boyfriend is terrible because he's Turkish and we were at war with Turkey 100 years ago is definitely not something I appreciate. Neither the fact that she wants me to break up with my boyfriend because he doesn't make a lot of money.

I can safely say I've learned from my grandparents' and parents' mistakes. Right now, I'm actually dealing with my life much better than they are.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-03-2014, 04:43 PM
(08-03-2014 04:33 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, hopefully we won't all be there.

I've learned to appreciate older people's wisdom, but to a certain extent. My grandma's rants about how my sister's boyfriend is terrible because he's Turkish and we were at war with Turkey 100 years ago is definitely not something I appreciate. Neither the fact that she wants me to break up with my boyfriend because he doesn't make a lot of money.

I can safely say I've learned from my grandparents' and parents' mistakes. Right now, I'm actually dealing with my life much better than they are.

This is what will give you insight in the future.

I'm not saying that everything an older person has to contribute is "wisdom", but something to think about. Every little thing gives cause for thought, and you use what makes sense in your life, then leave the rest out, untill maybe one day it does hit home and make sense....then maybe a lightbulb will go off...and maybe not.

Point is, dont dismiss the overall picture and the reason for it.

Every generation learns from the mistakes and lessons of the ones before it.

The sad point is that, in the video, none of us can be certain that at particular point in our life, that we wont be there.

08-03-2014, 04:59 PM
(08-03-2014 04:13 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 03:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, I won't be there but I get what you mean.

Yeah, I dont think I will be either, but the youth in this country (US) is an entitled, whiny bunch that havent got a clue about life yet, but act as if they've got it all figured out and the older folks are just "fools".

I understand the mentality....I was once young and wish I would have listened to those that have been around the block a time or two.

I've been through things and seen more than this self important bunch of kids that feel a need to feed their ego than most will ever have to deal with in a life time. And I truely wish that they dont have to go through what I've been through. Yet they judge from their limited experience as being "wise".

It all makes me laugh really, but also very sad for them.

Not every older person is a rocket scientist, but most do have a PHD in life.

There are plenty of cultures that respect and learn from their elders, and also do better for that in the way they live life...... but here in this country... pffft, not a chance.

About the only thing kids could teach me at this point is what to do with a computer problem or how to play a internet game....doesnt seem very important in the greater scheme of things to me or much in the way of survival in the real hard world.

this goes back to giving every punk an award for being the part of a team that lost the game...... gotta boost those losers ego's at an ealy age so they can feel entitled in the adult world. I dont get it, what the fuck is wrong with this picture?

With all due respect War Horse, is this a thread about elderly abuse in homes or a rant about the general feeling of disrespect for elders by the unruly, entitled younger generation?

Abuse of the elderly is clearly an atrocity, and there should be more attention called to it so that we can address the issue and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen.

That said, I take some issue with your disdain for the younger generations. I have a ton of respect for what people have gone through in their lives, but how much respect should be given to a generation that effectively put us where we are by the way they decided to live? America's problems cannot be put on the youth. They deservedly belong to the people who made the poor decisions in life that led to the downward spiral that is this country today.

So I'm sorry if it seems like disrespect, but maybe young people today are waking up to the idea that our elders' mistakes aren't worth repeating or respecting. If the older generations want us to pay attention, maybe you all could start thinking about where you went wrong and offering us advice on how not to repeat your past mistakes. I don't see that happening.

Today's younger generation are up to their eyeballs in a quickly deteriorating economy and war fatigued society that never asked for it, but now has to pay for the poor decisions of their elders. We're busy trying to figure out our own way, and trying to make sure it's a better way despite the rather concrete path designed for failure that's been made for us.

Respect is earned, and we've been handed a pretty fucked up future so you might reflect a bit on that. It's going to take a couple of generations to fix shit, if we even can, but the older generation is still in congress, still making shitty calls, still fucking up our future as we speak. And they've set it up so that they get to do that as long as they want to.

So sorry dude. You can yell at us all day long to get off your lawn, but still demand we listen to you, but we've currently got our hands full with trying to correct the damage already done and making sure that we and our future generations don't get stuck in a mess like you've left us in. And we'll have to do it on our own, because we obviously can't rely on the advice of our forefathers.

/rant.

Nothing personal WH, still got love for ya.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-03-2014, 05:23 PM
(08-03-2014 04:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So sorry dude. You can yell at us all day long to get off your lawn, but still demand we listen to you, but we've currently got our hands full with trying to correct the damage already done and making sure that we and our future generations don't get stuck in a mess like you've left us in. And we'll have to do it on our own, because we obviously can't rely on the advice of our forefathers.

/rant.

Nothing personal WH, still got love for ya.

Nothing personal taken.... but consider what we had handed to us back then.

I dont demand respect, as I didnt give it either when the 60s-70s era was in full swing. Acutally less then now a days.

We also had to correct the mess that got handed to us and did the best we could, given the times.

Yes the video set me off, but I got to thinking why us older people need to be called "fools", as if we did nothing for the younger generations and havent gone through any hardships or paid dearly for the past, that wasnt our fault either.

I just get tired of the younger crowd crying about how bad they have it and that anyone older is a "fool".

For the most part us older guys havent exactly had a good go of it either, and actually in most cases, a lot more fucked up then what kids have had now (meaning teens and early 20s)

I would truely love to talk to some of you younger guys in 30-40 years from now..... I get the feeling some of you will remember my "old" ass and what I've tried to put forth at this time.

* Love back atcha Eavenheathen, its just a discussion of thoughts.

[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
08-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Right on. I would agree that you didn't get handed a silver spoon either, nor a platter from which to spoon from.

I think it's the same old racket, with the young and old each dismissing each other's opinions more or less because of cultural differences. The older culture is different than the younger culture, it always has been and always will be I suppose. In fact, thinking about that I would gander that the cultures in which the elders are given the most respect are those whose cultural habits don't change very much between generations. This certainly isn't true for America, and so it's not surprising that we don't see the same thing.

I guess the long and short of it is that we're all fuck ups who really don't have a clue about what we're doing. We all gotta dig through the muck on our own, and the muck keeps changing consistency so there's never a clear technique for getting through it.

Then we die. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
08-03-2014, 11:48 PM
LMAO, no I won't.

I'll be dead in the woods before I'm 50. Laugh out load

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2014, 05:53 AM
(08-03-2014 11:48 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  LMAO, no I won't.

I'll be dead in the woods before I'm 50. Laugh out load

Ha, thats what I thought also, except I figured to be dead by 30 Blush

Its just not fair I tell ya.....cruel fucking joke life played on me. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post