Think you're good on the computer? Read on...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Think you're good on the computer? Read on...
Someone told me today that with enough savvy, someone could find out your name, address, phone number, etc., with nothing more than what's on this forum. It's not the first time I've heard this claim either. Funny thing is, nobody can back it up.

So here's the challenge: two volunteers, one to find and one to be found. Of course the person being found MUST agree, and if they decide, all the details will be kept private. All that is required is an honest, "yep, I got found" or "nope, I'm still anonymous."

The real challenge is for the one doing the finding. No private contact with the volunteer, and no intentional discussions about the game that may give away details. Just the info here on the forum, and your super computer skills.

Anyone think they can do it, or want to volunteer?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 07:49 PM
RE: Think you're good on the computer? Read on...
(15-04-2012 07:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Someone told me today that with enough savvy, someone could find out your name, address, phone number, etc., with nothing more than what's on this forum. It's not the first time I've heard this claim either. Funny thing is, nobody can back it up.

So here's the challenge: two volunteers, one to find and one to be found. Of course the person being found MUST agree, and if they decide, all the details will be kept private. All that is required is an honest, "yep, I got found" or "nope, I'm still anonymous."

The real challenge is for the one doing the finding. No private contact with the volunteer, and no intentional discussions about the game that may give away details. Just the info here on the forum, and your super computer skills.

Anyone think they can do it, or want to volunteer?
I can be the one to be found (I don't have the skill or the patience to be the 'finder' No )

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
15-04-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't know nearly enough about computers to be the finder.

I'd be happy to be found though.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-04-2012, 08:06 PM
(Not offering for either thing)

Just wanted to say, that based on other forums (one I run), people do eventually list enough information to be found--although it does depend on a number of things such as person's permissions (if they see the IP), comments the person posts in messages, username, etc. So if you're wanting to have proof if it can happen, failure to find the person won't dismiss the possibility.

I say that because I do know it can be done--I've had to do it before (site I ran had some "issues" I had to resolve--I found one of the members [location/phone number/address/husband/relatives/facebook account] all by three pieces of information: her cousin's name, her IP, her first name [well, wasn't needed, but it just confirmed it]. Now if I hadn't had the IP... or her cousin's name... it would've been difficult/impossible as she always provided fake information.
15-04-2012, 08:11 PM
(15-04-2012 07:59 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I don't know nearly enough about computers to be the finder.

I'd be happy to be found though.
I'll fight ya for it Big Grin

15-04-2012, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 08:23 PM by Hughsie.)
(15-04-2012 08:11 PM)aurora Wrote:  I'll fight ya for it Big Grin

I could always be your finder?

I bet I could find out your name, age, home city and job pretty easily Big Grin.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
15-04-2012, 08:26 PM
(15-04-2012 08:18 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 08:11 PM)aurora Wrote:  I'll fight ya for it Big Grin

I could always be your finder?

I bet I could find out your name, age, home city and job pretty easily Big Grin.
Go for it but I will 'seek and destroy' if you tell anyone else my details Tongue

15-04-2012, 08:28 PM
(15-04-2012 08:26 PM)aurora Wrote:  Go for it but I will 'seek and destroy' if you tell anyone else my details Tongue

Hahaha, like I'd go and post all your details online Big Grin.

Best
Worst
15-04-2012, 09:09 PM
tempting but too lazy and preoccupied to even bother

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
15-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Hmmm, awesome, hey DeepThought? Big Grin I am not volunteering for either, but would love to know the outcome (not details, just the possibility).