Think you're good on the computer? Read on...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 10:58 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
RE: Think you're good on the computer? Read on...
(15-04-2012 08:18 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I bet I could find out your name, age, home city and job pretty easily Big Grin.
Yeah, right! Tongue

Knock yourself out!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 10:55 PM
(15-04-2012 08:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 08:26 PM)aurora Wrote:  Go for it but I will 'seek and destroy' if you tell anyone else my details Tongue

Hahaha, like I'd go and post all your details online Big Grin.

I would. Tongue

In fact I've already pretty much found Rora.
No stalker. Really!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-04-2012, 10:56 PM
(15-04-2012 10:55 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 08:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Hahaha, like I'd go and post all your details online Big Grin.

I would. Tongue
Ya bastard Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
16-04-2012, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 12:13 AM by Logisch.)
(15-04-2012 07:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Someone told me today that with enough savvy, someone could find out your name, address, phone number, etc., with nothing more than what's on this forum. It's not the first time I've heard this claim either. Funny thing is, nobody can back it up.

So here's the challenge: two volunteers, one to find and one to be found. Of course the person being found MUST agree, and if they decide, all the details will be kept private. All that is required is an honest, "yep, I got found" or "nope, I'm still anonymous."

The real challenge is for the one doing the finding. No private contact with the volunteer, and no intentional discussions about the game that may give away details. Just the info here on the forum, and your super computer skills.

Anyone think they can do it, or want to volunteer?
My job deals with subpoenas often. I have access to be able to figure out via ip on such date with such time who belonged to what device on a network to identify that person. It's common. But only with people who use the service, I can't reach out and see anyone anywhere. It doesn't work that way.

Generally speaking... simply knowing someone's ip address doesn't identify anything more than the ISP they use. Some people say you can find someone's address via IP address. This is false unless you work for the ISP in which they are using. IP addresses aren't tied to the physical address, they are generally nothing more than a lease on a system for your computer/router to use. The only address is in which you identify yourself and pay your bill with to that ISP. So have no fear that someone having your IP address has your home address.

However... the most common ways for someone to identify you are:

- Email: Using your email that you use on facebook on a forum means someone could plug it in and see exactly who you are.
- Linking back pictures with accounts using identifiable screen names. Again, this can also link back a google search showing who you might be
- Linked in profiles, some people give out a huge amount of info.
- Social networking sites, even twitter
- Posting up photos of your vehicles, if your license plate is exposed, people can pay the DMV for the info (last I recall, but this might be a state law)

The best ways to not identify yourself online:

- Email: Use multiple accounts. One for social networking. Don't share it on forums, or, don't keep the email address public on the forums and keep it to mods only (and don't piss off the mods). Generally I don't use the same email on forums that I'd use on facebook.
- Social networking details. Things like your phone number on your fb should only be shared (if at all) with list of people you trust, or limited to people you trust. If you are the person who has 1000 people on your facebook and your mobile number is listed to friends only, there's 1000 potential people to not trust. If you however setup your list to 10 people as "family" and only "family" can see it, you have 990 less people to worry about being suspicious of.
- Posting personal details, or revealing pictures that have things like addresses. Unless I trust the person, or am not suspicious of them, these things are left out of pictures. I've had pictures I've taken of my cars and accidentally noticed my address was on them near my house. I immediately removed it, edited it out and re-uploaded it. Unless you don't mind the person seeing it and you trust them. Again, photos like this on social networking sites if having revealing details should be only left to lists of people you trust.
- Not posting where you work online. I don't even have my place of employment listed on my social networking sites. I don't talk about it online either. I prefer not to associate myself with work in my personal life. When I'm at work, I'm at work. If I'm at home, I'm at home. People don't need to know where I work.

Anyway... if you can leave details such as that to a minimum, you increase your chances greatly on stuff. Just remember it's VERY easy to google someone anyone online anymore. In fact, if someone has a website and hasn't registered it anonymously, you can do a whois on their website and it'll give you their name, address, phone number, etc and you can do it in about 30 seconds. It's scary sometimes to know that.

That said, if someone wishes to try, I am happy to be the "challenge", using only what you found on this forum - if you can, pm me who I am. Then, tell me how you found it Wink If you can figure it out, well, I'd be impressed.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
16-04-2012, 01:56 AM
I am not great with computers but I would like to try and find someone

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 03:02 AM
OK, Hughsie looking for Aurora, and Leela looking for Logisch.

I do believe the game is afoot.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Damn, too late. I'd like to give it a shot too if someone would like to volunteer. I don't think it would be too easy though.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
16-04-2012, 05:25 AM
I am interested how far I get with the info on the forum. Some do state a lot of stuff. I would be easy to find o.O

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 06:00 AM
(16-04-2012 03:02 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  OK, Hughsie looking for Aurora, and Leela looking for Logisch.

I do believe the game is afoot.

Haha, I was only joking about finding Aurora.

Because I've had a lot of interaction with Aurora on here it would be way too easy. I already know most of it anyway.

Smoosh, you can find me if you want.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
16-04-2012, 08:14 AM
(16-04-2012 06:00 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Smoosh, you can find me if you want.
Clever bastard. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel