Thinking about getting a relgious eduacation degree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Thinking about getting a relgious eduacation degree
So for those that know me on here I am very into discussing religion as well and doing research. I'm in the military and I love the job I do but not so much the leadership and the military lifestyle so I've been at an em pass these last few month on whether to stay in or not.

It just hit me today that I should do something I enjoy(duh) and I'm super passionate about my atheism and studying different religions so why not go that route? Just wanted to see if anyone has actually gone the route of getting a RE degree and using it effectively as an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Thinking about getting a relgious eduacation degree
There is not much money in a theological degree, unless one uses it to con the masses into giving him money by preying on their religious beliefs, but money should not be the deciding factor in one's career choice. If you want to get a theological degree, then by all means get one.
07-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I once had a housemate who was studied for a religious studies degree. She then went on to do an MSc in the same subject. If anyone can be called a militant atheist it was her. She did really well in the subject because she wrote proper essays that reasoned about things rather than relied on bible passages as evidence.
07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Just make sure you do your homework and find the right kind of course.

You don't want it to turn out to be a bible club.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2014, 10:21 AM
seriously?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-04-2014, 10:33 AM
(07-04-2014 10:21 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  seriously?

Eh just a random thought...probably just stick to studying on my own and such.
07-04-2014, 11:39 AM
(07-04-2014 10:33 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 10:21 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  seriously?

Eh just a random thought...probably just stick to studying on my own and such.

I was just thinking that Bible studies would be the LAST thing in the world I would spend money, time and energy on.

But to each their own. What brings you happiness is your business.

I am at the age that my friends who went into the military right after high school are all now retiring after 20 yrs and they are all sitting really pretty. If you like what you do, maybe transfer to a different location? Or try to get training to move up?

Liking what you do is important, and it sounds like you found that, maybe try to find a way to work around the things that are annoying you about it. If you are planning on leaving, work on courses that will help you transfer what you do to a job on the outside.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-04-2014, 12:28 PM
(07-04-2014 11:39 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 10:33 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Eh just a random thought...probably just stick to studying on my own and such.

I was just thinking that Bible studies would be the LAST thing in the world I would spend money, time and energy on.

But to each their own. What brings you happiness is your business.

I am at the age that my friends who went into the military right after high school are all now retiring after 20 yrs and they are all sitting really pretty. If you like what you do, maybe transfer to a different location? Or try to get training to move up?

Liking what you do is important, and it sounds like you found that, maybe try to find a way to work around the things that are annoying you about it. If you are planning on leaving, work on courses that will help you transfer what you do to a job on the outside.
Yeah I'm sitting good right now besides having a degree in the field I'm in but I already have a few years experience doing this job which will help get my foot in the door. I'm really just looking at getting out and just doing the part I like with out all the military political bs.
07-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Is your title a clever joke or is that just irony?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-04-2014, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 02:17 PM by Gaest.)
(07-04-2014 09:23 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So for those that know me on here I am very into discussing religion as well and doing research. I'm in the military and I love the job I do but not so much the leadership and the military lifestyle so I've been at an em pass these last few month on whether to stay in or not.

It just hit me today that I should do something I enjoy(duh) and I'm super passionate about my atheism and studying different religions so why not go that route? Just wanted to see if anyone has actually gone the route of getting a RE degree and using it effectively as an atheist.

I think it's a great idea!
IMO a lot of atheists and theists alike would benefit from having studied at least some religion at college/university level.

Of course if you wanna go for a full-blown degree in religious studies it's a pretty good idea to be sure you can afford starting it up, and that it won't derail your life financially.

You could maybe try a few classes/courses first; for general interest and to see if you like it - I'm not sure how the rules are in the US though.

By the way, I'm not an atheist myself, but I have seen atheists using it pretty productively. Both in terms of debating, and in terms of getting broader and more nuanced knowledge and perspectives on religion and on humans in general.