Thinking critically about food waste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2016, 10:32 PM
RE: Thinking critically about food waste
I'll respond with something they say in the Army: I don't care how much you eat, but you'll eat what you take.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2016, 12:10 AM
I try to not waste food which isn't a problem considering that I buy it only for myself. As for other people I care not - not my money so I don't have issue with it.

Children in Africa - it is idiotic statement in my opinion. No matter what I do with food here it don't have any effect on them. I also won't be eating something that taste bad cause "others don't have even this".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
03-08-2016, 12:49 AM
(02-08-2016 10:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I went hungry a lot as a kid. I won't go into the details of what I did as a kid to get food. I really hate to see food wasted. I see waste everywhere. The consumption habits in the US are pretty disgusting. I try as much as I can to only purchase whatever food we can consume before it spoils, beyond things like canned food, of which we consume very little. I'm thinking that we should stock up, to some extent; in case of emergency it would be better than starving.

Sorry to hear that. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post
03-08-2016, 02:45 AM
There's a guy in my home town that helps feed the homeless. He works with local fishing tournament organizers to get the Marlin and other fish that would normally go to waste. A solid dude, he never pushes religion.
03-08-2016, 02:46 AM
I was raised on tales of my parents experience in the UK during the war when food was scarce consequently I hate waste big time and hate seeing it on TV etc
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
03-08-2016, 05:20 AM
My S.O. has the "depression era" mentality about it.... If there's two teaspoons of rice left - she puts it into a bowl in the fridge --- where it awaits -- till it's "good and dead". Then and only then may it get a proper burial..............

Me - it's simple economics. I'm not saving 3 cents worth of corn - so I can eat it later - thus letting 5 bucks worth of something else go bad........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-08-2016, 05:24 AM
(02-08-2016 08:29 PM)cactus Wrote:  Would you ever leave your plate half-empty at a restaurant

Don`t be a pessimist bro, I leave my plate half-full, not half-empty.

Smartass

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
03-08-2016, 07:49 AM
we split a takeout order from a teriyaki place last week. That was perfect. I suspect we will do more things like that.
03-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Whether food waste goes into the trash can or the toilet makes little difference to me. I eat until I'm satisfied and not a bite more.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
03-08-2016, 08:04 AM
I raise my own veggies, and I always plant several varieties of each type because you never know what may go wrong and which plants will be affected that year.

If I have a lot left over, I take it to the local old folk hang out and they help themselves to it.

Much of the time I just compost extras and use them as fertilizer the next year.

A friend recently accused me of wasting food.

Huh? These are annual plants, the food comes from my soil and it goes back in there to help support the next year's crop. Personally, I see no waste. But I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post