Thinking critically about food waste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2016, 09:34 AM
RE: Thinking critically about food waste
(03-08-2016 08:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  I raise my own veggies, and I always plant several varieties of each type because you never know what may go wrong and which plants will be affected that year.

If I have a lot left over, I take it to the local old folk hang out and they help themselves to it.

Much of the time I just compost extras and use them as fertilizer the next year.

A friend recently accused me of wasting food.

Huh? These are annual plants, the food comes from my soil and it goes back in there to help support the next year's crop. Personally, I see no waste. But I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

That's not waste, that's the best thing you can do.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
03-08-2016, 09:40 AM
I always try to clean my plate, especially when we're eating meat. Whatever I don't eat, or if some fruit/veggies are starting to turn, I 'donate' them to the woods by our house.

I hate how wasteful and dirty society can be. We live in a relatively nice neighborhood, yet I'm always picking up garbage and random crap when I go for walks. The world is not our trashcan!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
03-08-2016, 09:51 AM
My mother used to say to me "think of all the starving children in Africa" whenever I'd leave stuff on my plate.

So I thought of them..... and then chucked the lot in the bin. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-08-2016, 01:12 PM
(02-08-2016 08:42 PM)skyking Wrote:  I know this attitude has contributed to my and many others obesity.

Yep, this. My earliest food training included going to all-you-can-eat buffets with the parental guidance "Take all you want, but eat all you take." As a toddler this led to many stomachaches. Now food obsessions are a consistent part of my collection of OCD symptoms. I try to select less-bad food as safe obsessive objects, like Soylent and coffee. Even so, I cannot remember the last time I had an eggroll when I didn't have at least 4 of them.

I still have a visceral reaction to seeing flagrant food waste. It is not a reasoned reaction though. The problem of food waste is the economic system that distributes food in such a way that some eaters are provided not enough, some eaters too much of poor quality, and some eaters are provided far too much of good and bad quality. In that system, we waste food and damage the health and well being of all of those groups. A full plate getting scraped into the garbage is just a tiny symptom of a much larger sickness.
03-08-2016, 04:16 PM
(03-08-2016 01:12 PM)I Am Wrote:  [...] I try to select less-bad food as safe obsessive objects, like Soylent and coffee. [...]

Uh... is that linked site genuine?

I'm thinking you should check out Soylent Green pretty damn quick!

[Image: Soylent-Green-movie-poster-692x1024.jpg]

It's made from... human bodies.

Gasp

[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-08-2016, 04:20 PM
I order the child's plate or split an entree with my wife. The older I get, the less appetite I have.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-08-2016, 04:42 PM
(03-08-2016 04:16 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 01:12 PM)I Am Wrote:  [...] I try to select less-bad food as safe obsessive objects, like Soylent and coffee. [...]

Uh... is that linked site genuine?

Yes. It's about half my food now, maybe a little more. Don't worry, it's not people. It tastes like the milk left over after a bowl of cereal, but a little thicker like cream. Very mild, bland taste. When my sweetie has some she likes to add cinnamon and honey and it really is delicious that way. No animal products, carefully balanced complete vitamin and mineral content, even tiny micronutrients. It's designed to be complete food that someone could live off of. And it is the cheapest balanced, prepared meal I know of.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
03-08-2016, 05:31 PM
I checked the ingredient listing for Soylent, and was a little dubious about the amount of chemicals I'd never heard of:

[Image: Soylent-2.0-Review.jpg]

Are you at all concerned about its ingredients? I also noted an Australian warning about soy proteins and cancer: Soy Cancer Warning.

Do you think this warning overstates the case? WebMD also lists possible negative and/or exacerbating side effects of soy on several medical conditions: juvenile cystic fibrosis, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, kidney stones or kidney failure, juvenile milk allergy, hypothyroidism, asthma, allergic rhinitis, diabetes, and urinary bladder cancer. Soy can also cause some milder side effects such as constipation, bloating, and nausea, plus allergic reactions involving rashes and itching.

Personally, I don't have to worry about the side effects of soy, as I've tried a couple of different soy "milks", and they both triggered my gag reflex—bizarrely!

[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-08-2016, 06:25 PM
My mother who will turn 91 in a few days now has always been one to clean up the scraps on other people's plates. When I was a kid I remember her doing it, and my older brother lost his mind to alcohol a few years ago and would spit out food he'd had in his mouth and still I'd see mother with her fork scooping up a piece of carrot or a couple of beans he'd had in his mouth and scarfing them down.
ALso my lady puts 3 times as much on my plate as I am able to eat on a daily basis. No matter what it is, but it feeds the dogs as someone said above. We don't buy much dog food.
03-08-2016, 06:27 PM
(03-08-2016 05:31 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I checked the ingredient listing for Soylent, and was a little dubious about the amount of chemicals I'd never heard of:

[Image: Soylent-2.0-Review.jpg]

Are you at all concerned about its ingredients? I also noted an Australian warning about soy proteins and cancer: Soy Cancer Warning.

Do you think this warning overstates the case? WebMD also lists possible negative and/or exacerbating side effects of soy on several medical conditions: juvenile cystic fibrosis, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, kidney stones or kidney failure, juvenile milk allergy, hypothyroidism, asthma, allergic rhinitis, diabetes, and urinary bladder cancer. Soy can also cause some milder side effects such as constipation, bloating, and nausea, plus allergic reactions involving rashes and itching.

Personally, I don't have to worry about the side effects of soy, as I've tried a couple of different soy "milks", and they both triggered my gag reflex—bizarrely!

Anything that has three or more immigrants I cannot even pronounce I won't put in my mouth! And how does one milk a soy bean any damn how?
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post