Thinking critically about food waste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2016, 06:38 PM
RE: Thinking critically about food waste
(03-08-2016 06:27 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Anything that has three or more immigrants I cannot even pronounce I won't put in my mouth! And how does one milk a soy bean any damn how?

I only buy home-grown organic, because I don't want to pollute my body with Muslims Hobo

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
03-08-2016, 06:39 PM
(03-08-2016 06:27 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Anything that has three or more immigrants I cannot even pronounce I won't put in my mouth! And how does one milk a soy bean any damn how?

Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
03-08-2016, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 07:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-08-2016 05:31 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I checked the ingredient listing for Soylent, and was a little dubious about the amount of chemicals I'd never heard of:

[Image: Soylent-2.0-Review.jpg]

Are you at all concerned about its ingredients?

I know what all those are. They're just fancy words for common vitamins and minerals. They are good but the amount of each per dose should be shown. If it's some "proprietary blend" without specifying quantities it's snake oil.

As far as soy, yeah it is a phytoestrogen. Estrogen (E2 I think), has been shown to be an agonist for both breast cancer and prostate cancer. I still eat edamame. I just don't eat tofu.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-08-2016, 07:08 PM
(03-08-2016 06:27 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Anything that has three or more immigrants I cannot even pronounce I won't put in my mouth!

Pagan did a "cock pimple" Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-08-2016, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 08:43 PM by I Am.)
(03-08-2016 05:31 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I checked the ingredient listing for Soylent, and was a little dubious about the amount of chemicals I'd never heard of:

Are you at all concerned about its ingredients? I also noted an Australian warning about soy proteins and cancer: Soy Cancer Warning.

Do you think this warning overstates the case? WebMD also lists possible negative and/or exacerbating side effects of soy on several medical conditions: juvenile cystic fibrosis, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, kidney stones or kidney failure, juvenile milk allergy, hypothyroidism, asthma, allergic rhinitis, diabetes, and urinary bladder cancer. Soy can also cause some milder side effects such as constipation, bloating, and nausea, plus allergic reactions involving rashes and itching.

Personally, I don't have to worry about the side effects of soy, as I've tried a couple of different soy "milks", and they both triggered my gag reflex—bizarrely!

It does concern me a little. Here's the thing though... for me, it is replacing much worse options like drive-through fast food, neglecting to eat for long periods leading to starve-and-binge cycles, and weird periods of food obsession where I eat only one or two kinds of food.

Some real examples:
One time I spent almost a week perfecting a vanilla milkshake recipe, and drank at least a half-gallon of milkshake per day, likely more. I was going through about 1.5 to 2 cartons of Blue Bell daily (The secret is not in the proportions, those are pretty easy at 6:1 ice cream to milk. The real trick is in the temperature - it has to be cold, cold, cold. Freeze the ice cream hard, chill the milk to the edge of freezing, and even chill the mixer. Get a glass blender, give it a thin coat of water, and freeze it before using it.) At the same time, for "real" food, I ate plate after plate of fried okra.

In a different period I ate nothing but rice and mushrooms, carefully measured to 1800 calories a day. When I say carefully measured... I would shave off thin slivers of mushroom to get the exact number of grams I (imagined I) needed.

One time I went to the store and came home with one six pack of every brand and flavor of soda that came in six packs. I learned how to cook with it. I mixed it into cake mixes, glazed chicken with it, marinated tofu in it, used it instead of water or milk in fish frying batter - which is probably better if it's not grapefruit flavored. I even made "beer" bread with it, which didn't go well enough to try again.
Having lots of soy may have some long-term side effects, and that does worry me, but having relatively normal balanced nutrition is much better than the fat and sugar heavy, chaotic and bizarre diet I have when left to my own devices. Soylent is less bad for me, whatever its faults.
03-08-2016, 07:22 PM
(03-08-2016 07:17 PM)I Am Wrote:  It does concern me a little. Here's the thing though... for me, it is replacing much worse options like drive-through fast food, neglecting to eat for long periods leading to starve-and-binge cycles, and weird periods of food obsession where I eat only one or two kinds of food.

Some real examples:
One time I spent almost a week perfecting a vanilla milkshake recipe, and drank at least a half-gallon of milkshake per day, likely more. I was going through about 1.5 to 2 cartons of Blue Bell daily (The secret is not in the proportions, those are pretty easy at 6:1 ice cream to milk. The real trick is in the temperature - it has to cold, cold, cold. Freeze the ice cream hard, chill the milk to the edge of freezing, and even chill the mixer. Get a glass blender, give it a thin coat of water, and freeze it before using it.) At the same time, for "real" food, I ate plate after plate of fried okra.

In a different period I ate nothing but rice and mushrooms, carefully measured to 1800 calories a day. When I say carefully measured... I would shave off thin slivers of mushroom to get the exact number of grams I (imagined I) needed.

One time I went to the store and came home with one six pack of every brand and flavor of soda that came in six packs. I learned how to cook with it. I mixed it into cake mixes, glazed chicken with it, marinated tofu in it, used it instead of water or milk in fish frying batter - which is probably better if it's not grapefruit flavored. I even made "beer" bread with it, which didn't go well enough to try again.
Having lots of soy may have some long-term side effects, and that does worry me, but having relatively normal balanced nutrition is much better than the fat and sugar heavy, chaotic and bizarre diet I have when left to my own devices. Soylent is less bad for me, whatever its faults.

Unsure .....okay yeah, definitely keep drinking the Soylent then. I don't want this thread to turn into an intervention.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
03-08-2016, 07:22 PM
(03-08-2016 07:17 PM)I Am Wrote:  

Are you at all concerned about its ingredients? I also noted an Australian warning about soy proteins and cancer: Soy Cancer Warning.

Do you think this warning overstates the case? WebMD also lists possible negative and/or exacerbating side effects of soy on several medical conditions: juvenile cystic fibrosis, breast cancer, endometrial cancer, kidney stones or kidney failure, juvenile milk allergy, hypothyroidism, asthma, allergic rhinitis, diabetes, and urinary bladder cancer. Soy can also cause some milder side effects such as constipation, bloating, and nausea, plus allergic reactions involving rashes and itching.

Personally, I don't have to worry about the side effects of soy, as I've tried a couple of different soy "milks", and they both triggered my gag reflex—bizarrely!

It does concern me a little. Here's the thing though... for me, it is replacing much worse options like drive-through fast food, neglecting to eat for long periods leading to starve-and-binge cycles, and weird periods of food obsession where I eat only one or two kinds of food.

Some real examples:
One time I spent almost a week perfecting a vanilla milkshake recipe, and drank at least a half-gallon of milkshake per day, likely more. I was going through about 1.5 to 2 cartons of Blue Bell daily (The secret is not in the proportions, those are pretty easy at 6:1 ice cream to milk. The real trick is in the temperature - it has to cold, cold, cold. Freeze the ice cream hard, chill the milk to the edge of freezing, and even chill the mixer. Get a glass blender, give it a thin coat of water, and freeze it before using it.) At the same time, for "real" food, I ate plate after plate of fried okra.

Drink Boost or Ensure instead. They are complete foods too and accepted by the medical community.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-08-2016, 07:26 PM
(03-08-2016 07:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 07:17 PM)I Am Wrote:  It does concern me a little. Here's the thing though... for me, it is replacing much worse options like drive-through fast food, neglecting to eat for long periods leading to starve-and-binge cycles, and weird periods of food obsession where I eat only one or two kinds of food.

Some real examples:

Drink Boost or Ensure instead. They are complete foods too and accepted by the medical community.

I keep Boost on hand because I am bad about not eating. Boost at least gives me some nutrition. I started drinking it after my first surgery since I needed to take some of the meds with food but really couldn't cook anything and I didn't have much appetite. If they are real cold, they are pretty good. I like Boost better than Ensure...the taste and texture are more appealing to me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-08-2016, 07:33 PM
(03-08-2016 07:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 07:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  Drink Boost or Ensure instead. They are complete foods too and accepted by the medical community.

I keep Boost on hand because I am bad about not eating. Boost at least gives me some nutrition. I started drinking it after my first surgery since I needed to take some of the meds with food but really couldn't cook anything and I didn't have much appetite. If they are real cold, they are pretty good. I like Boost better than Ensure...the taste and texture are more appealing to me.

Hubby like Ensure better than boost, wouldn't drink the Boost given to him at the hospital, I had to go get Ensure for him. Smile

Ensure brought him from a totally emaciated, shriveled person back to his old glory.

Boost or Ensure, same thing, just a matter of preference.

03-08-2016, 07:35 PM
(03-08-2016 07:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 07:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I keep Boost on hand because I am bad about not eating. Boost at least gives me some nutrition. I started drinking it after my first surgery since I needed to take some of the meds with food but really couldn't cook anything and I didn't have much appetite. If they are real cold, they are pretty good. I like Boost better than Ensure...the taste and texture are more appealing to me.

Hubby like Ensure better than boost, wouldn't drink the Boost given to him at the hospital, I had to go get Ensure for him. Smile

Ensure brought him from a totally emaciated, shriveled person back to his old glory.

Boost or Ensure, same thing, just a matter of preference.

I also found that Boost tends to be a little less expensive. Yes But, yeah, it's a matter of taste.

It's great for me to have at work so that when I need some nutrition or even if I am craving something chocolatey, I can be satisfied without going for the vending machine.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post