Thinking of buying an Elio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Thinking of buying an Elio
Has anyone else heard of these?

Elio Motors

I drive more than 50 miles per day to and from work. I'd go from using 2 gallons of gas every day to a little over a half gallon and with gas prices the way they are, I'd save about $1500 a year. Excluding maintenance and insurance, the car would pay for itself in just over 4 years.

Any thoughts on this car?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 11:56 AM
RE: Thinking of buying an Elio
(15-05-2014 11:19 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Has anyone else heard of these?

Elio Motors

I drive more than 50 miles per day to and from work. I'd go from using 2 gallons of gas every day to a little over a half gallon and with gas prices the way they are, I'd save about $1500 a year. Excluding maintenance and insurance, the car would pay for itself in just over 4 years.

Its a great concept. The neighbor has been talking about getting one for commuting too but he's married with 2 kids, so I don't see it as practical as a 2nd car. If wife's car breaks down or they have to pick up more than one kid at a school function or take a kids friend home, a 2 seater just became worthless. My husband rarely has to transport kids, but when he does, its because we are in a jam and he **really** needs to take a child or more somewhere.

But…if you aren't married and don't have to ever haul children, then I guess that's different situation.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-05-2014, 12:05 PM
(15-05-2014 11:56 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:19 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Has anyone else heard of these?

Elio Motors

Its a great concept. The neighbor has been talking about getting one for commuting too but he's married with 2 kids, so I don't see it as practical as a 2nd car. If wife's car breaks down or they have to pick up more than one kid at a school function or take a kids friend home, a 2 seater just became worthless. My husband rarely has to transport kids, but when he does, its because we are in a jam and he **really** needs to take a child or more somewhere.

But…if you aren't married and don't have to ever haul children, then I guess that's different situation.

I already drive a 2 seater. It just gets crap mileage because it's a sports car. I'd keep the TT as a weekend car. It seems that just the gas savings would make the small payment on the Elio worth it.

Never having kids, so I don't have to worry about that and I have access to larger vehicles for hauling stuff/dogs.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
15-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Interesting, however the 84 mpg might be a bit optomistic. After doing a few clicks around the internet, I found a few problems right off the bat, besides Fox news being invovled (just for starters).

Funny how they didnt herald the engine on the site you gave, I always want to see under the hood to begin with, mechanicals mean much more than looks.

Its a 3 cylinder overhead cam gas engine, and they claim the thing only weighs in at 1500 Lbs. , I call bullshit, my H-D weighs 1100 Lbs (gets 40 mpg, with a 2 cylinder eng.)

Plus, do you have a helmet law in your state ? If so, its a motorcycle... you will need to wear a helmet.

I'm sure there are other considerations to take into account, but these are my first observations.

Heres a vid showing the engine, and a link to some of the negative aspects.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/15/op-e...wont-sell/

And the show vid.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
15-05-2014, 12:28 PM
(15-05-2014 12:18 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Interesting, however the 84 mpg might be a bit optomistic. After doing a few clicks around the internet, I found a few problems right off the bat, besides Fox news being invovled (just for starters).

Funny how they didnt herald the engine on the site you gave, I always want to see under the hood to begin with, mechanicals mean much more than looks.

Its a 3 cylinder overhead cam gas engine, and they claim the thing only weighs in at 1500 Lbs. , I call bullshit, my H-D weighs 1100 Lbs (gets 40 mpg, with a 2 cylinder eng.)

Plus, do you have a helmet law in your state ? If so, its a motorcycle... you will need to wear a helmet.

I'm sure there are other considerations to take into account, but these are my first observations.

Heres a vid showing the engine, and a link to some of the negative aspects.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/15/op-e...wont-sell/

And the show vid.

The Lotus Elise is only 1600 lbs. I don't see the weight as suspicious at all. Your H-D is all steel and chrome, not super lightweight materials.

The helmet laws in Ohio wouldn't affect me. You only have to wear one, legally, for the first year you have your bike license.

It's got an amazing crash rating for such a small vehicle. Supposedly, it's safer than my TT.

15-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Just thought of a couple of other things;

You will need to get a motorcycle endorsment on your DL, which means going to classes for the endorsment.

The price is just to low, this has to be a bait and switch. You cant realistically buy a 1500cc motorcycle for that price, much less something with A-C, power windows and steering.

I'm sure a few mor thing will pop into my head about this.

15-05-2014, 12:34 PM
(15-05-2014 12:30 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Just thought of a couple of other things;

You will need to get a motorcycle endorsment on your DL, which means going to classes for the endorsment.

The price is just to low, this has to be a bait and switch. You cant realistically buy a 1500cc motorcycle for that price, much less something with A-C, power windows and steering.

I'm sure a few mor thing will pop into my head about this.

I used to ride motorcycles, so the endorsement won't be an issue.

How do you mean "bait and switch"? What would they be swapping out for?

15-05-2014, 12:37 PM
(15-05-2014 12:28 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  The Lotus Elise is only 1600 lbs. I don't see the weight as suspicious at all. Your H-D is all steel and chrome, not super lightweight materials.

My bike also doesnt have an A-C system, power windows (include the hardware) power steering, air bags, 3 rims (and tires), 3 brakes, full interior, etc.

These things all add up to weight no matter how you slice it, and also power robbing devices that would kill mileage.

I'm not at all sold on it...... try to remember that the Yugo was a 3 cyl. and lightweight, and without any bells and whistles, the thing only got about 45 mpg.

15-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Looks like a great city car. I would have questions about crash tests and related safety features, the website doesn't give all that much...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-05-2014, 12:39 PM
(15-05-2014 12:34 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I used to ride motorcycles, so the endorsement won't be an issue.

How do you mean "bait and switch"? What would they be swapping out for?

Not swapping out for, but rather, add-ons, that will sky rocket the price. As in, a basic model without such things as A-C, or power whatever.

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post