Thinking of buying an Elio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 12:41 PM
RE: Thinking of buying an Elio
(15-05-2014 12:37 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:28 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  The Lotus Elise is only 1600 lbs. I don't see the weight as suspicious at all. Your H-D is all steel and chrome, not super lightweight materials.

My bike also doesnt have an A-C system, power windows (include the hardware) power steering, air bags, 3 rims (and tires), 3 brakes, full interior, etc.

These things all add up to weight no matter how you slice it, and also power robbing devices that would kill mileage.

I'm not at all sold on it...... try to remember that the Yugo was a 3 cyl. and lightweight, and without any bells and whistles, the thing only got about 45 mpg.

Again, the Elise only weighs 1600 lbs and has a much bigger engine and a 4th wheel. The weight saved my not using steel in everything is huge. Hell, the new Ford F150 shaved off 700 lbs simply by changing the body panels from steel to hardened aluminum.

Engine technology has come a LONG way since the Yugo, that, and this car isn't made in Yugoslavia, it's made in the USA where we have better technology.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 12:44 PM
(15-05-2014 12:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Looks like a great city car. I would have questions about crash tests and related safety features, the website doesn't give all that much...

It has a full roll cage like race cars do. It's designed so that the outside of the car will shred like an F1 car, but the cage will survive well.

It is certainly a concern, but if it passes safety testing the way they think it will, it will be much safer than the car I drive now that's twice the weight.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
15-05-2014, 12:46 PM
(15-05-2014 12:39 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:34 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I used to ride motorcycles, so the endorsement won't be an issue.

How do you mean "bait and switch"? What would they be swapping out for?

Not swapping out for, but rather, add-ons, that will sky rocket the price. As in, a basic model without such things as A-C, or power whatever.

Yeah, I could see that. Although I'm not really concerned about most of those things. Power steering on a vehicle that small is unnecessary, Power windows and locks are convenient, but not necessary. The only thing I might want is climate control. Other than that, I'd drive a fully manual car.

15-05-2014, 12:52 PM
(15-05-2014 12:41 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Engine technology has come a LONG way since the Yugo, that, and this car isn't made in Yugoslavia, it's made in the USA where we have better technology.

Actually the Yugo wasnt that far off on the engine technology as you might think, the major problem the Yugo had was the lack of quality.

Tho, I will say that due to the tighter parameters of the modern fuel injected engine and cam profiles, add to that the posibility of a CVT transmission, better efficiency is to expected. But.... its still an internal combustion engine, and the only thing new about anything economy wise, is a variable timing camshaft with 4 valve per cyl.

Other then that, nothing much other than processor controls have changed

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
15-05-2014, 01:00 PM
(15-05-2014 12:52 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:41 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Engine technology has come a LONG way since the Yugo, that, and this car isn't made in Yugoslavia, it's made in the USA where we have better technology.

Actually the Yugo wasnt that far off on the engine technology as you might think, the major problem the Yugo had was the lack of quality.

Tho, I will say that due to the tighter parameters of the modern fuel injected engine and cam profiles, add to that the posibility of a CVT transmission, better efficiency is to expected. But.... its still an internal combustion engine, and the only thing new about anything economy wise, is a variable timing camshaft with 4 valve per cyl.

Other then that, nothing much other than processor controls have changed

I appreciate the input from someone more knowledgeable about engines than I.

Its going to be a while until they're released, if ever. The vaporware thing is still a possibility, though. I thought about reserving one, but I think I'm going to wait until they're released and have some real world MPG and crash data to go over.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-05-2014, 01:01 PM
OK, 2 items of interest;

Roll cage = weight , that will have to be steel.

Lotus Elise = $55,000.00 , hardly a fair comparision.

I would wait and see how this plays out before putting any money on it.

Dealer networks and parts availability are also major concerns, especially with a new upstart company.

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
15-05-2014, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 01:33 PM by War Horse.)
This reminded me of another ill thought out vehicle.

The Stallion trike.... and this has a Ford engine in it.... they didnt catch on either.

Just something to consider.

15-05-2014, 01:22 PM
(15-05-2014 01:01 PM)War Horse Wrote:  OK, 2 items of interest;

Roll cage = weight , that will have to be steel.

Lotus Elise = $55,000.00 , hardly a fair comparision.

I would wait and see how this plays out before putting any money on it.

Dealer networks and parts availability are also major concerns, especially with a new upstart company.

Pep Boys is partnering to be their parts and service network/

But yeah, it's an upstart company that's not fully funded yet. I am certainly going to wait until more info is available. I know 2 people that have put down a good chunk of change already on one and won't get it back if the company folds. I'm not willing to even risk the deposit on a company that has no products yet. Maybe if Mini or someone were making it, I'd consider early investment.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Well, comparisons to earlier tries are tricky - timing is everything with things like that.

The market has to be ready.

I Like SUVs Tongue but I live in the country.

If I lived in the city, and it became available, I would probably buy one. It's definitely a city car.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-05-2014, 01:28 PM
(15-05-2014 01:22 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Pep Boys is partnering to be their parts and service network/

But yeah, it's an upstart company that's not fully funded yet. I am certainly going to wait until more info is available. I know 2 people that have put down a good chunk of change already on one and won't get it back if the company folds. I'm not willing to even risk the deposit on a company that has no products yet. Maybe if Mini or someone were making it, I'd consider early investment.

Good idea to wait Thumbsup

Pep Boys doesnt impress me much, they will change course in a heartbeat if it isnt crazy profitable..... they're no different then the Tire Kindoms or Midas, etc., rip offs out there, and then what ?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, and maybe been in the business to long and seen to many failures over the years at the consumers expense. Just sayin. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post