Thinking of buying an Elio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 01:42 PM
RE: Thinking of buying an Elio
(15-05-2014 01:28 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:22 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Pep Boys is partnering to be their parts and service network/

But yeah, it's an upstart company that's not fully funded yet. I am certainly going to wait until more info is available. I know 2 people that have put down a good chunk of change already on one and won't get it back if the company folds. I'm not willing to even risk the deposit on a company that has no products yet. Maybe if Mini or someone were making it, I'd consider early investment.

Good idea to wait Thumbsup

Pep Boys doesnt impress me much, they will change course in a heartbeat if it isnt crazy profitable..... they're no different then the Tire Kindoms or Midas, etc., rip offs out there, and then what ?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, and maybe been in the business to long and seen to many failures over the years at the consumers expense. Just sayin. Wink

I appreciate the dissent. It keeps me grounded. This is a bit more pricey than my usual toys, but I have a tendency to go "oOOOOHHH, Shiney new thing. IT'S THE COOLEST THING EVER! I MUST HAVE ONE!"

I'm glad I know old cranky wiser guys like you to tell it straight.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 01:57 PM
LOL... yeah, thats why they call us "greybeards" with respect. Wink

You know, a good analogy is that history has a habit of repeating itself, and that is all to true in the automotive and motorcycle industry. Very rare that a new contender is ever very formidable..... and yes, I could go on with citations (had to put that in here for all us skeptics), but I wont bore you to death. Rolleyes

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
15-05-2014, 02:07 PM
(15-05-2014 01:57 PM)War Horse Wrote:  LOL... yeah, thats why they call us "greybeards" with respect. Wink

You know, a good analogy is that history has a habit of repeating itself, and that is all to true in the automotive and motorcycle industry. Very rare that a new contender is ever very formidable..... and yes, I could go on with citations (had to put that in here for all us skeptics), but I wont bore you to death. Rolleyes

I'm hoping it will be an outlier. I really think it's a neat little vehicle and it would be nice to not use so much damn gas every day.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
15-05-2014, 02:13 PM
(15-05-2014 02:07 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm hoping it will be an outlier. I really think it's a neat little vehicle and it would be nice to not use so much damn gas every day.

Neat yes, but IMHO, electric is the way to go. Tho LIPO batteries still have some room for improvement, and also need to come down in cost. China is well on its way to moving the industry in the right direction.

15-05-2014, 02:16 PM
(15-05-2014 02:13 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:07 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm hoping it will be an outlier. I really think it's a neat little vehicle and it would be nice to not use so much damn gas every day.

Neat yes, but IMHO, electric is the way to go. Tho LIPO batteries still have some room for improvement, and also need to come down in cost. China is well on its way to moving the industry in the right direction.

I'm holding out on electric vehicles until Graphen batteries or something similar comes along. I tend to hold on to a car until it is completely dead, and I don't want that to happen 5 years after I buy the thing because I can't afford to replace the battery packs.

Also, range needs to come WAY up and charging times way down before I'd consider one. I take a lot of long roadtrips that would drain the battery mid trip and I don't want to wait around for hours to recharge fully.

15-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Like this Elio, electric cars have their limitations and need to be purchased with them in mind.

However, I do agree that the batteries have much to be desired, thats why I mentioned LIPO's , the future is bright for the technology, but safety is a major concern with them.

One word thats keeping the technology from blossoming..... OIL !

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
15-05-2014, 02:44 PM
(15-05-2014 02:39 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Like this Elio, electric cars have their limitations and need to be purchased with them in mind.

However, I do agree that the batteries have much to be desired, thats why I mentioned LIPO's , the future is bright for the technology, but safety is a major concern with them.

One word thats keeping the technology from blossoming..... OIL !

Cheap Oil, that is. If we weren't subsidising oil and using an insane amount of it in this country, gas would be even more expensive and make the higher cost of alternatives look a whole lot better.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-05-2014, 03:01 PM
what about a Smart car? I see lots of those around.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
15-05-2014, 03:08 PM
(15-05-2014 03:01 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what about a Smart car? I see lots of those around.

I actually was seriously considering buying one of those, too. Until I drove it.

It doesn't come in manual and the automatic is absolute crap. There is a noticeable gap between the gears during shifts. It's like a really really new person driving stick. The car actually starts slowing down significantly between gears. It also has a terrible turning radius for a car that small. It's just a poorly designed car.

15-05-2014, 03:13 PM
(15-05-2014 03:08 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 03:01 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what about a Smart car? I see lots of those around.

I actually was seriously considering buying one of those, too. Until I drove it.

It doesn't come in manual and the automatic is absolute crap. There is a noticeable gap between the gears during shifts. It's like a really really new person driving stick. The car actually starts slowing down significantly between gears. It also has a terrible turning radius for a car that small. It's just a poorly designed car.

Also, they don't get very good gas mileage and they're ridiculously slow. Like 15 - 20 second 0-60 time.

I had a Chevy HHR. It has a full 4 cylinder engine with over 100hp and I got nearly the same highway mileage as a Smart Fortwo.