Thinking of buying an Elio

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: Thinking of buying an Elio
I've had my eye on the Chevy Volt.. Depending whether my van or my husbands car dies first, we might replace with one of those. But I really, really, really want a Tesla S Model. Drooling

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 03:39 PM
*testing*

My post keeps tripping the CloudFlare, what in the fucking hell...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-05-2014, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 03:47 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-05-2014 12:18 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Its a 3 cylinder overhead cam gas engine, and they claim the thing only weighs in at 1500 Lbs. , I call bullshit, my H-D weighs 1100 Lbs (gets 40 mpg, with a 2 cylinder eng.)

Come on Horse, let's be honest here. If you were to ask an engineer to design the most inefficient engine possible, they'd be hard pressed to come up with something less efficient than an air-cooled, 45 degree, V-twin. Rolleyes

I have a 93' Honda CB750 Nighthawk, and it's an air and oil cooled inline 4-cylinder, that makes 73HP (45.6ft/lbs of torque). The bike has a 5.2 gallon tank, and that's enough to get me from Erie to Pittsburgh and back (over 260 miles round trip) on a single tank. Also my engine has 4 synced carburetors, and weighs about 475lbs wet.

15-05-2014, 03:51 PM
(15-05-2014 03:29 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I've had my eye on the Chevy Volt.. Depending whether my van or my husbands car dies first, we might replace with one of those. But I really, really, really want a Tesla S Model. Drooling

Might I suggest the Honda CRZ?

[Image: 5907.jpg]

It's a little 2 seater hot-hatchback hybrid that you can get with a 6-speed manual transmission. MSRP starts at $19995.00, and being a Honda, it will run forever if you take care of it.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/specifications.aspx

15-05-2014, 04:01 PM
(15-05-2014 03:51 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 03:29 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I've had my eye on the Chevy Volt.. Depending whether my van or my husbands car dies first, we might replace with one of those. But I really, really, really want a Tesla S Model. Drooling

Might I suggest the Honda CRZ?

[Image: 5907.jpg]

It's a little 2 seater hot-hatchback hybrid that you can get with a 6-speed manual transmission. MSRP starts at $19995.00, and being a Honda, it will run forever if you take care of it.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/specifications.aspx

Its pretty- but my kids are still young, need practical cars that can seat 4. Love my '03 Honda van, up to 275K miles and still going strong and I can pack it full for a camping trip and fit just about everything except the kitchen sink. LOL.

Husband drives an '00 Maxima- he has dreams of getting a 2 seater but doesn't realize that won't come till both of our kids are driving and out of the house. Bwahahahaha!

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
16-05-2014, 05:12 AM
(15-05-2014 03:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Come on Horse, let's be honest here. If you were to ask an engineer to design the most inefficient engine possible, they'd be hard pressed to come up with something less efficient than an air-cooled, 45 degree, V-twin. Rolleyes

I have a 93' Honda CB750 Nighthawk, and it's an air and oil cooled inline 4-cylinder, that makes 73HP (45.6ft/lbs of torque). The bike has a 5.2 gallon tank, and that's enough to get me from Erie to Pittsburgh and back (over 260 miles round trip) on a single tank. Also my engine has 4 synced carburetors, and weighs about 475lbs wet.

To be fair, I was only trying to point out the weight displacement to mileage ratio.

Plus comparing the two bikes isnt a fair comparisson, mine is a 1445 cc, or about a 1.5 liter, which would probably be closer to the 3 cyl engine they're using with the Elio. Regarless of efficiency, the more than double mileage claim doesnt cut it, with a 400 Lbs extra on the Elio (if thats even accurate).

I havent looked that hard into the specs regarding the Elio and may be assuming some things, however, due to past experience in the field, I stand by my call that the mileage is overly optimistic on this car/trike, not to mention a myriad of other problems with an up-start vehicle.

And BTW, if you want to see what happens to your mileage on your bike, throw a fairing on it for one tank full, and watch your mileage drop by at least 20 mpg. I've done this many times on smaller displacement bikes and the results have always been the same.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
16-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Oh, I might have mentioned that my bike's enginge is a bit modified ( Rolleyes ), so the EPA mandated pollution controls arent holding it back either.

So, in essence, the bike, bone stock only got 32 mpg, the 40 mpg I get is without the power robbing EPA factory parts. Of couse the Elio will have to be EPA compliant and possibly worse, California smog compliant.

Why cant I stop thinking about this ? Weeping Damn you, INMIY

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
16-05-2014, 05:58 AM
(16-05-2014 05:53 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Oh, I might have mentioned that my bike's enginge is a bit modified ( Rolleyes ), so the EPA mandated pollution controls arent holding it back either.

So, in essence, the bike, bone stock only got 32 mpg, the 40 mpg I get is without the power robbing EPA factory parts. Of couse the Elio will have to be EPA compliant and possibly worse, California smog compliant.

Why cant I stop thinking about this ? Weeping Damn you, INMIY

haha, sorry, but this is why I asked. When it comes to electronics, I can geek it up with the best of them. When it comes to mechanical things, I'm like "derp, the wheely thingy goes spinny. YEAH!!!"

Ok, maybe I'm not that bad, I just am very unknowledgeable about these things.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
16-05-2014, 06:05 AM
(16-05-2014 05:58 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  haha, sorry, but this is why I asked. When it comes to electronics, I can geek it up with the best of them. When it comes to mechanical things, I'm like "derp, the wheely thingy goes spinny. YEAH!!!"

Ok, maybe I'm not that bad, I just am very unknowledgeable about these things.

Its ok.... this is the one field I feel at home with, and could talk about almost endlessly.... while everyone elses eyes glaze over Blush

Yup, I'm the life of the party Laugh out load