Thinking outside of the "box" (earth)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Thinking outside of the "box" (earth)
(The whos, whys, whats and hows are irrelevant in the events leading up to this hypothetical scenario)

You are on a completly self sustaining spaceship...... a one of a kind. You leave earth and go into orbit to do tests........ a large unseen asteroid approaches and hits the earth. You witness the impact and watch as basicly everything on the surface of the planet perishes. Twenty minutes later you witness another large asteroid hit the earth and then another.......... you break orbit and head away from Earth and as you do you witness a large barrage of asteroids hitting the earth destroying it completly. Somehow you survive the chaos/debris/heat.

You are the last human being alive....... everything you have known is now gone.

What would be your thoughts in the days afterwards??? Would it change your opinions on anything and which ones??? What would you miss most??? What would you be glad to see go??? How do you think this event would affect you???

Play about with the scenario....use your imagination Smile

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Thinking outside of the "box" (earth)
(06-05-2012 11:04 AM)bemore Wrote:  Play about with the scenario....use your imagination
cool - can I take a few bong hits first?

why think that way? An asteroid that cannot be detected by our radar stuff destroys earth????

are you a Christian troll?

I think such an event would just completely change my opinion of the effectiveness of technology. I would probably beat my meat till I die since their is no one to massage me

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Even though I am practically a hermit with my anti social tendencies I imagine I would suddenly feel very very lonely.
Also the lack of doctors or evil dentists would have me contemplating suicide.

If the ship could travel really fast I might consider a search for more life. Otherwise I would likely go completely insane.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
06-05-2012, 06:22 PM
(06-05-2012 04:27 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  are you a Christian troll?
Shocking

I think faced in the scenario it kind of makes a lot of things seem irelevant.

Materilalism.
Morals.
Ethics.

Just trying to work out the grey matter and gain new insights.

Jesus Jones
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
My Gwynnies? Sadcryface2

Then I'd die. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Personally I'd be sad that all the animals and people died for no reason other than perhaps their own stupidity (after all... why didn't they build things to detect it or protect the earth?)

Then I'd be like "explore the universe!" and set course for the nearest solar system and die in space exploring. Although I'd want to do that now... one of the only reasons I hate that I can't live forever--there's so much to see, and no where near enough time, and we're not even advanced enough to even begin the exploration. Give me a spaceship, and it'd be fun. Granted I'd prefer at least one companion... maybe like 20 others to repopulate other planets (making the ship "earth"). But still, I'd just set course away from the system and go forth towards other places.
07-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Take everything you see as "good" as put it in a pile/group.
Take everything you see as "bad" and put it into a pile/group.

Go through the scenario...... with the removal of earth and to be left with nothing but the universe put a different slant on things??? Even though we are all connected to the universe its just we think in this little bubble called "Earth" (and who would blame us???)

For me there is no "bad" nor is there any "good"........ its all just HUMAN PERCEPTIONS.

Jesus Jones
07-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing I can do.

I'll be forever alone, that's one thing. No one to talk to, no one to interact.

Maybe I'll steer the ship to Europa, get some water there, and stare at Jupiter for a while. Walk around on other planets, see how long I can survive. If I'm immortal, the space-ship is invulnerable, runs on infinite fuel, then disregard the above. Probably search for any planet with signs of life, land there, and explore.

The entire experience will be soul-crushing for sure, and my perception of reality will change drastically.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 3 users Like robotworld's post
07-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I teraform Mars and figure out how to clone myself. I'd be like Trevor Goodchild.

Fo real.......

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
19-05-2012, 02:42 PM
If I couldn't be on Team Human, I'd just go on Team Life and use (assuming the equipment would be available) some sorts of pods to send small colonies of living bacteria to different corners of the universe, in the optimistic hope that some day one of them might land on a hospitable planet and have at least the chance to start it all over again...
I actually told my mum a very similar scenario when discussing what brings me comfort when faced with mortality. She gave me a weird look.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Earth. Our planet? living thing 26 583 02-06-2014 11:31 AM
Last Post: living thing
Question Would you murder 1 person for a utopia on earth? PoolBoyG 71 1,675 10-11-2013 05:48 AM
Last Post: Heywood Jahblome
  Teaching "Critical Thinking" in Education Zat 45 1,161 08-02-2013 05:53 PM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  Critical thinking, an outline from my notes. fstratzero 12 1,081 12-08-2012 02:08 PM
Last Post: fstratzero
  if beings made contact with earth or visa versa, would that disprove a god? James The Brit 9 1,794 15-08-2011 04:21 PM
Last Post: Zatamon