Thinking outside of the "box" (earth)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2012, 10:59 AM
RE: Thinking outside of the "box" (earth)
(06-05-2012 06:22 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(06-05-2012 04:27 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  are you a Christian troll?
Shocking
Just trying to work out the grey matter and gain new insights.

Why do people think that you are trolling when you try to honestly ask the opinions of others in a hypothetical situation? People always are like, "No... that wouldn't happen because x or y." It's sort of stunning to see so many freethinkers on this site that cannot think philosophically (only scientifically).

I had to get that off my chest. Anyways, back to the original question. I would feel a great sense of loneliness and despair over the destruction. The thought of my friends and loved ones perishing is sure to give rise to many difficult feelings. Although, over some time, these feelings [/i]are sure to give way.

On the positive side, I would feel like my own existence was extremely important. It would seem like the person in my position should accept his/her role as the representative of humanity. I would try to discover all I could about the cosmos, and if there were other life forms in the universe (no matter how trivial this task may be). Also, there would be immense freedom - freedom from the paying wage, from any earthly responsibility, just to name a few.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2012, 12:08 PM
As I get older, I find that I have a lot of bugbears that niggle the hell out of me. Perhaps it isn't about age and I've always been like this, but repeated exposure makes it more noticeable.

So please excuse the following:-

elemts Wrote:  Then I'd be like "explore the universe!" and set course for the nearest solar system and die in space exploring.

There's only 1 solar system. This is a common mistake (sometimes made by people who should know better) so it is a forgivable mistake. There are countless star systems, including the one in which we live. The star of our system is called Sol. Ergo, this star system is known as the Solar system. All other star systems... they're not solar systems.

As for Bemore's question: without other humans, you'd instantly become amoral... so morality is an instant loss, whether you like it or not. If it's a matter of how we would feel about Earth (if we could zip to another copy of it) I'm not altogether sure whether I understand the question. Would it change how I consider the Earth? Not really. Its existence is already finite, as is our sun's.

For those that are suggesting a search for other inhabited (or inhabitable) planets, that journey would require a lengthier time than your life-span, so you'd need a cryogenic system to sustain life. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2012, 12:41 PM
(27-07-2012 12:08 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  As I get older, I find that I have a lot of bugbears that niggle the hell out of me. Perhaps it isn't about age and I've always been like this, but repeated exposure makes it more noticeable.

So please excuse the following:-

elemts Wrote:  Then I'd be like "explore the universe!" and set course for the nearest solar system and die in space exploring.

There's only 1 solar system. This is a common mistake (sometimes made by people who should know better) so it is a forgivable mistake. There are countless star systems, including the one in which we live. The star of our system is called Sol. Ergo, this star system is known as the Solar system. All other star systems... they're not solar systems.

What's funny is, I think of the "sun" as a star. It makes me happier for some reason--it's like when it's called the "sun" it makes us unique, thinking of it as a "star" ties things together more. But yeah, star systems, areas of space that happen to have things like planets orbiting or floating or whatever... I'd just explore everything possible. At least it wouldn't be boring. Well, the in-between system travelling could be, but other than that.
21-09-2012, 02:00 AM
For me it would depend on how well armed the ship I'm on is. One asteroid hitting earth is pretty unlikely. Have many of them hit as if they got in line to take turns impacting? That is impossible without something intelligent behind it. I would set out in the direction they came from and try to find the shipful of aliens that sent them our way. Then I would have to attempt to enslave them for entertainment purposes. Also if they are somewhat similar to us, I might want to try to inter-breed. If the ship is not armed, then I would set out in the opposite direction and try to locate life out among the stars. If the ship is not capable of the speeds needed to seek out life I would focus on where the asteroids came from and go out in a blaze of glory by ramming the ship responsible.
21-09-2012, 02:12 AM
I forgot to take into account my reasoning for being up there in a space ship. If I was up there alone, then it must have been for the purpose of long range space exploration. Maybe I was going to spend years on and around Mars setting up a colony. If that is the case, I might have already been expecting to be alone for quite some time. If that was the case, I don't think I would feel as bad.
21-09-2012, 03:05 AM
They sent 3 men to take a step on the moon, do you really think they would send one lone person to colonize a planet?

Plus, this asteroid could have been two large asteroids that collided that then split up into these pieces.

Plus, there is no way you'd have weapons on this thing.

Plus do you keep bumping old threads to fuck with me, I think you do.

Plus to reach our nearest star would take around 20,000-40,000 years (numbers in another thread) with zero guarantee of an inhabitable planet.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
21-09-2012, 04:01 AM
So I'm totally alone, no other humans existing & no Earth?

Assuming there in some sort of airlock or door on the supposed craft, I think I'd go space-surfing, take a door or something off and just surf into the nearest large mass.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
21-09-2012, 07:13 AM
(21-09-2012 02:00 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  ... One asteroid hitting earth is pretty unlikely. Have many of them hit as if they got in line to take turns impacting? That is impossible without something intelligent behind it.

Why is one unlikely? One seems to be the most likely.

Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 broke up into several chunks which then struck Jupiter as a series. No intelligence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Side Question... what happened to the international space station? I guess destroyed in the barrage?

I would hope there still is good amounts of life in the universe because we screwed our shot to keep it going.

I'd likely spend my time watching all I could see from the shuttle and enjoy it's wonder.. maybe write it down or record it depending on what's in the ship. In the end after a bit I'd eject to suffer the death by launching into space since I see no point to keep floating aboot.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson