Third Party Candidates Get Shot in the Arm in Post Trump/Hillary Election

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
03-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Third Party Candidates Get Shot in the Arm in Post Trump/Hillary Election
Federal Judge finally ruled that, hew no fucking shit, bi-partisan is not equal to non-partisan. With the Tampocalypse upon us, and Democrats losing political offices like it's going out of style, could 2018 be the year that the third part continues to pick up steam, or will they fizzle? Could we see a Green, Independant, or Libertarian President in 2020? Probably not, but this at least make it a possibility in a way that it hasn't since Ross Perot.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/02/libert...-in-suit-a

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2017, 01:42 PM
RE: Third Party Candidates Get Shot in the Arm in Post Trump/Hillary Election
No, it won't unless we dump the first past the post voting system that we currently have in favor of a more equitable system.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-02-2017, 01:54 PM
(03-02-2017 01:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, it won't unless we dump the first past the post voting system that we currently have in favor of a more equitable system.

I'd prefer a different system as well, specifically, as I've said many times before, I like the Alternative Vote approach. However, I think had Gary Johnson and Jill Stein been permitted to debate in this past election, I think Gary Johnson could have potentially won. People may be dismissive of that, but if you look at it, Johnson got 5% of the vote. Might not sound like much, but for a third party in our system, that's a ridiculously huge amount of people. And the worse scandal he had was asking "What is Allepo", and I don't think he had much more scandal to give. Where as Trump and Clinton were both the embodiment of political scandals. It might not have been enough to put Gary over the top, but I think it's certainly possible. This election did prove one thing - having a shitload of money from corporate sponsors and the political power of one of the two political parties is not enough to guarantee you the presidency. That's the silver lining in all this BS, I think, even it it didn't give me the result I wanted.

Full disclosure, I voted for Gary in the General Election. I disagreed with him at least 20% of the time, but he is at least positive, honest, and liberal, in my estimation. Great sense of duty and humor too:

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
03-02-2017, 03:48 PM
(03-02-2017 01:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I voted for Gary in the General Election. I disagreed with him at least 20% of the time, but he is at least positive, honest, and liberal, in my estimation. Great sense of duty and humor too

Also had the BEST campaign buttons:

[Image: s-l300.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
03-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Quote:but if you look at it, Johnson got 5% of the vote.

No he didn't.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php

He got 3.27% of the vote. Johnson and Stein did not get 5% between them.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-02-2017, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 04:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-02-2017 03:48 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 01:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I voted for Gary in the General Election. I disagreed with him at least 20% of the time, but he is at least positive, honest, and liberal, in my estimation. Great sense of duty and humor too

Also had the BEST campaign buttons:

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

If Jeff "Good people don’t smoke marijuana" Sessions starts dicking with the weed (the Federalist Papers weren't talking about weed dammit. Everything else except weed. And abortions. Weed and abortions. And immigrants. Weed and abortion and immigrants. ... And this lamp.) Gary "What? Do I want to try some Alleppo? Sure!" Johnson is a shoe-in, err puff-in.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 04:30 PM
(03-02-2017 03:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:but if you look at it, Johnson got 5% of the vote.

No he didn't.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php

He got 3.27% of the vote. Johnson and Stein did not get 5% between them.

Hmm...tried to get a number verification for a non-partisan reliable source, but couldn't find one that I'm familiar with. Most just lump everything "Third Party", "Other" or something similar, together at about 5.8 percent.

Reason.com, libertarian leaning report 4.8 as the final poll exit number, maybe they were stretching the number with some dishonest wording?

Either way, 3.27 is still more than triple what his party got in 2012, and the most they've got since the 1980 (I think). Although not as strong, Stein got nearly 1% (I think). Thanks for the correction!

03-02-2017, 04:33 PM
I am very much for 3rd, 4th and 5th parties. They should all be heard in debates.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-02-2017, 04:45 PM
(03-02-2017 04:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am very much for 3rd, 4th and 5th parties. They should all be heard in debates.

Where did that polling % requirement to participate in the debate come from anyway, sounds like somebody just pulled a number out of their ass to me.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 05:00 PM
The simple truth is what Moms said. Unless you get rid of your FPP system you will never have a minor party get more than a tiny percentage of the vote.
You're absolutely dreaming out of your mind if you think Johnson could have won had he simply been allowed to show up to the debates.

The issue with America is that not only do you have this shitty first past the post system but you have this weird fanatical (and yes that is the right word) mindset in your country that you're either Democrat OR Republican. The Dems and Repubs are like churches with their fanatical fan base. It's ridiculous. They're incredible powerful with their corporate sponsors and they're the ones why would have to change the system and why the fuck would they change the system?? 50% of the pie is always better than 20% of the same pie.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post