Third Party Candidates Get Shot in the Arm in Post Trump/Hillary Election

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
03-02-2017, 05:01 PM
RE: Third Party Candidates Get Shot in the Arm in Post Trump/Hillary Election
Even before the Trump Hillary ridiculousness I'd made it a personal rule to unconditionally refuse to vote for Republicans or Democrats. I intend to continue this trend.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-02-2017, 05:04 PM
(03-02-2017 01:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Federal Judge finally ruled that, hew no fucking shit, bi-partisan is not equal to non-partisan. With the Tampocalypse upon us, and Democrats losing political offices like it's going out of style, could 2018 be the year that the third part continues to pick up steam, or will they fizzle? Could we see a Green, Independant, or Libertarian President in 2020? Probably not, but this at least make it a possibility in a way that it hasn't since Ross Perot.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/02/libert...-in-suit-a
Donald Trump is third party candidate who ran as Republican. If he keeps many of his promises I believe he will be re-elected in 2020.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
03-02-2017, 05:14 PM
(03-02-2017 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 04:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am very much for 3rd, 4th and 5th parties. They should all be heard in debates.

Where did that polling % requirement to participate in the debate come from anyway, sounds like somebody just pulled a number out of their ass to me.

It didn't come out of anyone's ass. The Dems and Repubs set that bar intentionally impossibly high as a design to prevent a third party threatening the duopoly after......wait for it.....drum roll.....the last election that Ross Perot participated in! Nothing random about it at all.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
03-02-2017, 05:15 PM
(03-02-2017 05:14 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Where did that polling % requirement to participate in the debate come from anyway, sounds like somebody just pulled a number out of their ass to me.

It didn't come out of anyone's ass. The Dems and Repubs set that bar intentionally impossibly high as a design to prevent a third party threatening the duopoly after......wait for it.....drum roll.....the last election that Ross Perot participated in! Nothing random about it at all.

Still smells like ass.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 05:16 PM
(03-02-2017 05:04 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 01:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Federal Judge finally ruled that, hew no fucking shit, bi-partisan is not equal to non-partisan. With the Tampocalypse upon us, and Democrats losing political offices like it's going out of style, could 2018 be the year that the third part continues to pick up steam, or will they fizzle? Could we see a Green, Independant, or Libertarian President in 2020? Probably not, but this at least make it a possibility in a way that it hasn't since Ross Perot.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/02/libert...-in-suit-a
Donald Trump is third party candidate who ran as Republican. If he keeps many of his promises I believe he will be re-elected in 2020.

If our economy is doing well, you are probably right. If it's in the toilet, we might get a Democrat so long as the Democrats don't trudge another Clinton on stage. Time will tell.

03-02-2017, 05:23 PM
(03-02-2017 05:01 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Even before the Trump Hillary ridiculousness I'd made it a personal rule to unconditionally refuse to vote for Republicans or Democrats. I intend to continue this trend.

I always vote in the primaries for someone...but unsurprisingly, by the time we get to the end I find myself saying "I'm not voting for either of these assholes" and vote third party. I would've considered Rand Paul or maybe even Kasich against Clinton. It's a math game to some degree for me to figure I what I think is the most moral option. In my home state though, it's going to be Republican pretty confidently, so I am freed up to vote for whoever I think it best. My vote only potentially counts if I vote 3rd party, by my reasoning, but I would vote my conscience if that lead me to a Dem or Repub...it just hasn't yet.

03-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Quote:Most just lump everything "Third Party", "Other" or something similar, together at about 5.8 percent.

That should tell you something right there, though.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-02-2017, 11:41 PM
I really expected anger and outage to have a 3rd party boost in this election but I was shocked it came so soon in the primaries with Trump and Bernie and fear once again kept 3rd parties in the dark come November

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-02-2017, 01:49 AM
(03-02-2017 07:45 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Most just lump everything "Third Party", "Other" or something similar, together at about 5.8 percent.

That should tell you something right there, though.

And what is that supposed to be? Because as far as I'm concerned, it shows, in part, that the judge here made the right call. Before the debates Johnson's was hovering around 12 percent, and Stein around 6. Nearly 1 in 5 said they wanted a 3rd party candidate before the debates, and the turn out was about 6 percent combined. The conclusion I draw is, hey maybe the debates are undermining the whole point of a free and fair election. A low showing (though high comparatively speaking) doesn't mean people didn't want a third party candidate. It means they voted for someone they thought could potentially win. When they aren't invited it legitimizes them. It's not surprising the like of CNN and MSNBC don't care which candidate got 3 percent, and which got 1.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
04-02-2017, 04:11 AM
(03-02-2017 05:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  [...] The issue with America is that not only do you have this shitty first past the post system but you have this weird fanatical (and yes that is the right word) mindset in your country that you're either Democrat OR Republican. The Dems and Repubs are like churches with their fanatical fan base. It's ridiculous. They're incredible powerful with their corporate sponsors and they're the ones why would have to change the system and why the fuck would they change the system?? 50% of the pie is always better than 20% of the same pie.

Similarly here in Australia... you're either Liberal OR Labor. Well, there are a few backrunners, but they'll never, ever have the numbers to form government. Our federal elections are invariably a battle between the Liberals and Labor. There's always a couple of seats go to third parties, but never enough to have any meaningful impact on legislation passing—they usually can't even get their rank and file to agree on governance issues.

And likewise re party funding; we're talking about corporate donations in the millions of dollars in Australian election campaigns. Even our Liberal prime minister Malcolm Turnbull donated $1.75 million to his own campaign last year LOL.

We don't have a democracy in Australia; we have a corporatocracy.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.