Third secular blogger murdered in Bangladesh

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Sad Third secular blogger murdered in Bangladesh
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32701001

A secular blogger has been hacked to death in north-eastern Bangladesh in the country's third such deadly attack since the start of the year.
Ananta Bijoy Das was attacked by masked men with machetes in Sylhet, police say. He is said to have received death threats from Islamist extremists.

Police say there are similarities in the way all three bloggers were killed - hacked to death with sharp weapons. In each case, attackers carried out their plan on a busy street.
Death threats to secular bloggers are on the rise in Bangladesh. A few years back, hardline Islamists demanded a blasphemy law to stop bloggers they perceive to be anti-Islamic from writing about Islam.
Secular forces in Bangladesh say that their views are under threat. Intolerance is growing as the country's politics increasingly diverge into secular and non-secular poles.
Bangladesh is officially secular. But critics say the government is indifferent to the problem of blogger killing - pointing out that no-one has yet been punished for any of the attacks.

On Twitter, prominent blogger Imran H Sarker writes: "No Justice, impunity!", while blogger Rezwan uses the hashtag #Wordscannotbekilled in his tweet.
Some accounts apparently linked to a militant Islamist group are posting messages claiming responsibility and celebrating the killing.
"What a blessed news to wake up to? We won't let the kuffar [term used to refer to non-believers] sleep comfortably in their mansions!!" one tweet says.
"Stay tuned for next target... " another warns.

I've only included a few parts of this article as it's fairly long. so check the link for the full story.

I've said it before on other threads; It is so easy for those of us in the west to take for granted our freedom to exress our non-belief.

Those who stand up for freedom of expression and against these so called religions of 'peace' in countries such as this are incredibly brave people.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like LostLegend's post
12-05-2015, 10:39 AM
RE: Third secular blogger murdered in Bangladesh
I just have to give so much credit to our atheist brothers in these backwards countries that literally risk their lives every day for expressing their reasons for not accepting some ridiculous, ancient, fairy-tale as truth.
[+] 4 users Like photon9's post
13-05-2015, 05:40 AM
This is why I get upset with my well intended friends on the left. Do not get angry at me when I get angry at the right people. Religion does not deserve to be blasphemy free.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
13-05-2015, 05:48 AM
The first thing a Bangladeshi atheist should do - is move out of Bangladesh.....

At least that's what I'd do...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-05-2015, 05:58 AM
(13-05-2015 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The first thing a Bangladeshi atheist should do - is move out of Bangladesh.....

At least that's what I'd do...

Nobody would fault someone for wanting to escape oppression. Having said that that region will not change if does not see verbal moral support coming out of the west. No one should be suggesting wars to solve problems, but the more verbal support for blasphemy they see there the more people will raise their voices there.

No different than what women had to do and what blacks and gays did here in the states.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
13-05-2015, 05:59 AM
No, that's the third thing. I think being an atheist blogger in Bangladesh is like being in fight club and has the same first two rules.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-05-2015, 06:38 AM
(13-05-2015 05:59 AM)BnW Wrote:  No, that's the third thing. I think being an atheist blogger in Bangladesh is like being in fight club and has the same first two rules.

Don't assume everyone has watched or likes "fight club". A little explanation to that analogy would help.

13-05-2015, 06:41 AM
(13-05-2015 06:38 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 05:59 AM)BnW Wrote:  No, that's the third thing. I think being an atheist blogger in Bangladesh is like being in fight club and has the same first two rules.

Don't assume everyone has watched or likes "fight club". A little explanation to that analogy would help.

The first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club.
The second rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-05-2015, 06:49 AM
(13-05-2015 06:41 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 06:38 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Don't assume everyone has watched or likes "fight club". A little explanation to that analogy would help.

The first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club.
The second rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club.

The first rule to fight fascism is to talk about fascism.
The second rule to fight fascism is to repeat the first rule.

13-05-2015, 07:21 AM
(13-05-2015 06:49 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  The first rule to fight fascism is to talk about fascism.
The second rule to fight fascism is to repeat the first rule.

But the first rule to being an atheist in Bangladesh is to not advertise the fact that you are an atheist in Bangladesh.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP