Third secular blogger murdered in Bangladesh

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: Third secular blogger murdered in Bangladesh
(13-05-2015 07:21 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 06:49 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  The first rule to fight fascism is to talk about fascism.
The second rule to fight fascism is to repeat the first rule.

But the first rule to being an atheist in Bangladesh is to not advertise the fact that you are an atheist in Bangladesh.

Yea I get that. But it was also risky in America for women to ask for the right to vote. Susan B Anthony got her ass beat by sexist Christian men. Blacks, well there is another history that is self explanatory.

I get what you are saying, no one is suggesting anyone there take risks they are not comfortable with. But change isn't something done in silence either.

No one can tell anyone living under that how to do it. But in the west we do have the freedom to lend if anything our verbal moral support and we should.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
13-05-2015, 12:20 PM
There is the need to change the whole culture of a nation in regards to its attitude towards atheists. Some USAmericans won't vote* for an atheist US president so there is a bit of a problem in the USA, let alone Bangladesh. Sorry to pick on the USA, but if tolerance is still limited in the West, how can they achieve it in a poor country with a 56.8% literacy rate (ranked 184th in the world) and a poor human rights record**?

It would be nice to help them, but how? Leading by example would help and I wish all educated westerners agreed.

* 2011, Gallup - first poll showing a majority of US voters would vote for an atheist president.
* 2014, 'According to the Pew survey, even marijuana smokers and politicians who have had extramarital affairs are viewed more favorably than nonbelievers'
http://cognoscenti.wbur.org/2015/01/29/p...er-guthrie

http://www.hrw.org/world-report/2015/cou...esh?page=3
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2015, 05:24 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33819032

Number 4... Sad

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
07-08-2015, 08:38 AM
(07-08-2015 05:24 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33819032

Number 4... Sad

I wonder what our new resident asshat muslim has to say about these murders. He's been conspicuously vague in the other thread.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
07-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Man this shit makes me rage...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-08-2015, 08:43 AM
[Image: 7191947_orig.jpg]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
07-08-2015, 08:47 AM
(07-08-2015 08:38 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 05:24 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33819032

Number 4... Sad

I wonder what our new resident asshat muslim has to say about these murders. He's been conspicuously vague in the other thread.

At a guess?

He'd tell you they "deserved" it for stirring the pot. Then he'd dance around to avoid having to say why it constituted as much, let alone why that deserves extrajudicial murder by mob justice.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
07-08-2015, 08:51 AM
(07-08-2015 08:47 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 08:38 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wonder what our new resident asshat muslim has to say about these murders. He's been conspicuously vague in the other thread.

At a guess?

He'd tell you they "deserved" it for stirring the pot. Then he'd dance around to avoid having to say why it constituted as much, let alone why that deserves extrajudicial murder by mob justice.

It's the religion of peace... well, if you're part of the religion... well, if you you're part of the right sect... well, if you're part of MY sect. THEN we promise to be peaceful. See, that's not so hard.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister