Thirty Meter Telescope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Thirty Meter Telescope
I'm hoping that this is an appropriate place to put this up:

A reference to opposition to the Thirty Meter Telescope construction on Mauna Kea appeared on my newsfeed today. My first reaction is that "sacred sites" are not a good reason to impede the progress of science, but I may be biased. What are you folks thinking about this?

Why Block TMT on Mauna Kea?

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: Thirty Meter Telescope
(03-04-2015 03:13 PM)dclarion Wrote:  I'm hoping that this is an appropriate place to put this up:

A reference to opposition to the Thirty Meter Telescope construction on Mauna Kea appeared on my newsfeed today. My first reaction is that "sacred sites" are not a good reason to impede the progress of science, but I may be biased. What are you folks thinking about this?

Telescopes are beautiful - they should be happy to get it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2015, 03:55 PM
(03-04-2015 03:13 PM)dclarion Wrote:  I'm hoping that this is an appropriate place to put this up:

I don't really care about the religious argument, I do see the point and I dunno...Mauna Kea is really pretty. It does have a rich cultural heritage.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
03-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Before I went over to the dark side 40 plus years ago and became a trial lawyer, I was a scientist [physics] so I lean toward the science side. I am also part Native American and I can tell you from experience that native religions, of any kind, are the biggest buckets of shit extant. I am also an enviro-wacko and I appreciate natural beauty, perhaps more than most. When I balance all of those things, I come down on the side of science in this case. If you research the TMT and see what we are likely to learn from it, that potential knowledge outweighs other considerations especially when you give the religious aspect no weight.
03-04-2015, 05:09 PM
[Image: Salehin14253220022.jpg]

That's the summit of Mauna Kea. You don't want another telescope up there because ... ?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Isn't there already a dozen scopes on that mountain? What's different about this one that it becomes a problem now??

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
08-04-2015, 08:26 PM
(03-04-2015 05:10 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Isn't there already a dozen scopes on that mountain? What's different about this one that it becomes a problem now??

Its shiny and attracts magpies.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
08-04-2015, 09:40 PM
It's triple the diameter of the twin Kecks so it's footprint will be 9 x greater. The straw that broke the camel's back, I guess.
09-04-2015, 01:53 AM
We should spread the false news item that this is the first telescope big enough to prove God, and see how the fundies react...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
09-04-2015, 05:58 AM
Telescopes themselves are marvelous and help us see into the deeper reaches of sacred areas. I can get the deep attachment to the sacred mountain but there's not much more well protected than the ways those mountains with telescopes are treated. You can't drive with headlights up there, only a few dozen people in trips at a single time are allowed up. They're still well protected from pollution or degrading.

I don't get why this one is different than the rest, I didn't look it up but from telescope centers I've been too in Arizona, they were not allowed to build one at what is the highest region of the mountain, which was just a sliver of land reaching a peak so it didn't affect anything. Perhaps this is to be built on the peak or is large so it's "harmful" I don't know.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson