This Baker Refused To Bake An Anti-Gay Cake. Here’s Why That’s Not Discrimination.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2015, 02:48 PM
RE: This Baker Refused To Bake An Anti-Gay Cake. Here’s Why That’s Not Discrimination
I was just watching this video about a similar instance. This one includes that one annoying Josh Feuerstein guy and a bakery in Florida named Cut the Cake. This dude's argument is just as ridiculous as his past ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6-M4crDe1k
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 03:17 PM
RE: This Baker Refused To Bake An Anti-Gay Cake. Here’s Why That’s Not Discrimination.
(07-04-2015 01:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But a cake is made to specific order.
So if the cake was a ready-made then the anti-gay Christians wouldn't have a problem selling it to a gay couple?

Or is the issue about putting a two women or two man figurine on the top? Do Americans generally put little figurines on the top of wedding cakes?
I could understand a shop refusing to sell "gay" figurines. Companies should have the choice as to what they sell.
But a cake shop refusing to sell cakes to certain people based on sexual orientation is opening the door to much resentment and probably leading to violence in society.
Could you imagine a cake maker refusing to sell cakes to black people or to cripples or to muslims. Or perhaps a car yard refusing to sell cars to women.

What is it that makes a cake a "gay" cake? Is it the figurine or some other decoration or is it the customer?
07-04-2015, 03:32 PM
RE: This Baker Refused To Bake An Anti-Gay Cake. Here’s Why That’s Not Discrimination.
(07-04-2015 03:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 01:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But a cake is made to specific order.
So if the cake was a ready-made then the anti-gay Christians wouldn't have a problem selling it to a gay couple?

Or is the issue about putting a two women or two man figurine on the top? Do Americans generally put little figurines on the top of wedding cakes?
I could understand a shop refusing to sell "gay" figurines. Companies should have the choice as to what they sell.
But a cake shop refusing to sell cakes to certain people based on sexual orientation is opening the door to much resentment and probably leading to violence in society.
Could you imagine a cake maker refusing to sell cakes to black people or to cripples or to muslims. Or perhaps a car yard refusing to sell cars to women.

What is it that makes a cake a "gay" cake? Is it the figurine or some other decoration or is it the customer?

You don't do the bride and groom thing on top of a wedding cake in your country?

We bought our own topper, imported from Italy where I suppose they did place such things atop a wedding cake.

I don't know what makes a wedding cake gay. Sprinkles, rainbow icing? I imagine it's directed at the couple ordering the cake.

I have no issue with a shop refusing to stick the topper on the cake (I could have done that myself). But yes they are refusing to make the cake all together and presumably deliver it (since that's normally the bakery's duty).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-04-2015, 03:36 PM
(07-04-2015 12:27 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  The real question we ought to be asking ourselves is what sort of special occasion requires a gay-hating cake?

I swear I saw a recent article that showed a picture of some state government celebrating its anti gay marriage laws with a wedding cake.
07-04-2015, 03:43 PM
RE:This Baker Refused To Bake An Anti-Gay Cake. Here’s Why That’s Not Discrimination.
(07-04-2015 03:36 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 12:27 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  The real question we ought to be asking ourselves is what sort of special occasion requires a gay-hating cake?

I swear I saw a recent article that showed a picture of some state government celebrating its anti gay marriage laws with a wedding cake.

Facepalm Haters gotta hate. It doesn't matter it's discrimination.

Yanno what I want to do? I want to get a wedding cake with the TTA logo on it -- sure it will have a bride end groom on top...

Must be ok then Thumbsup

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-04-2015, 04:46 PM
(07-04-2015 03:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You don't do the bride and groom thing on top of a wedding cake in your country?
It's seen as pretty old fashion, almost tacky even.
Most weddings, my own included, we don't have figurines on it. But some more traditional people perhaps do that. I haven't been to a lot of weddings, just a few.
Our wedding cakes are generally fruit cakes. You guys generally have sponge cakes don't you? https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=nz+wed...00&bih=776
My cake was a chocolate cake as neither me nor my wife like fruit cakes.
We were even considering not having rings. In the end we did by and exchange rings, be we shouldn't have as we don't wear them. They sit in a box somewhere in our wardrobe.
(07-04-2015 03:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have no issue with a shop refusing to stick the topper on the cake (I could have done that myself). But yes they are refusing to make the cake all together and presumably deliver it (since that's normally the bakery's duty).
...so they are discriminating based on the customer rather than the decoration. And here they are trying to compare that with a baker's refusal to decorate the cake with a discriminatory message.
It's not even really a wedding cake. Who really wants their own wedding cake to be a propaganda cake against other people's weddings?

It's such a shame that many religious leaders seed and grow this type of hatred and discrimination in their unthinking flock. They ignore some of the strange statements in the bible but they cherry pick the anti gay stuff for some reason. Maybe some conflict helps to unite their members and give them a superior feeling of exclusivity?
But with most of the world now wondering what the fuss is about and seeing this discrimination as unfair and bullying, then churches will have to change their stance or continue to dwindle in relevance.
07-04-2015, 05:12 PM

This is what I wondered too.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Again, with the bakeries. It's always a bakery in these stories. People need to get more creative, seriously.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
07-04-2015, 06:03 PM
(07-04-2015 05:44 PM)cactus Wrote:  Again, with the bakeries. It's always a bakery in these stories. People need to get more creative, seriously.

I didn't realize that society was so reliant on cakes baked by others...my dumb ass usually bakes them.

Perhaps I should schedule a hate party so I too can buy a mean cake. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-04-2015, 06:05 PM

For the opposition's celebration of the day Muff's New World Order is defeated, and stopped from taking over the world?
I mean billions of people dancing in the street like when Emperor Palpatine was thrown off that balcony would just be rubbing it in, right?

Kidding, Muffs! You got my support! I want Sweden, though!
Tongue