This Is How I Know Religion Is False

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 12:43 PM
RE: This Is How I Know Religion Is False
Quote: in having Adam be myth but Jesus still needing to die to forgive Adam's sin.

So the mythical Adam committed a mythical sin that the mythical jesus died for? And this concerns me how?

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
20-10-2013, 01:10 PM
(20-10-2013 12:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote: in having Adam be myth but Jesus still needing to die to forgive Adam's sin.

So the mythical Adam committed a mythical sin that the mythical jesus died for? And this concerns me how?

It'th a wonderouth fairy tale. You're mything out.

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-10-2013, 03:18 PM
[Image: AtheismMythUnderstood-Small.gif]

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
20-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Re: This Is How I Know Religion Is False
Per people who do believe that like KC.

God still could of just created original sin regardless of there not being a real Adam and Eve. Them not existing doesn't negate anything.

The catholic church to some degree admits it so anyway.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-10-2013, 04:38 PM
(20-10-2013 10:43 AM)onedream Wrote:  Evolution is a fact. Therefore, Genesis is false.

Our pastor said "If there was no Adam, then there is no original sin. Therefore, there would be no need for Christ."

Correct.

To him, this means "We know we need Christ. Therefore, Adam must have existed."

To me, this means "We know there was no Adam. Therefore, The need for a Christ is a fabrication.

How, based on the fact of Evolution, can we therefore still have so many religious in this day and age?

*Head Shake*

You might like the book, Why we believe in Gods by Andy Thomson.
20-10-2013, 06:21 PM
(20-10-2013 11:29 AM)onedream Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 11:22 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My heart goes out man. I'm not advocating this position.... But how badass would onedream be if he just said he was an atheist on the air and walked out?

Ha!!!

I think that would be fun in the short-term. But ALL of my current friends who don't know I'm not a believer would be like "Atheism made that guy a dick."

While I'd get some personal satisfaction out of it, I fear it might scare off friends of mine who are currently on the fence.

However, that would be LEGEN-(WAIT FOR IT)-DARY!!!!

I actually work with another guy who I think is probably at least at Agnostic. But he won't admit it around me because Christian broadcasting is how he supports his family. He's essentially in the same spot I am.

The two of us had a conversation recently about how insane Yaweh seems in the Bible. And one time he said "If I tell my kids there's no Santa Clause how long is it until they reach the same conclusion about Jesus?" Then he rolled his eyes when he mentioned Jesus.

I think he's close, if not already there. But neither one of us will admit it because we don't realize the other guy is already a non-believer.

Is there a link so we can listen to your radio show?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2013, 01:16 AM
(20-10-2013 03:31 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Per people who do believe that like KC.

God still could of just created original sin regardless of there not being a real Adam and Eve. Them not existing doesn't negate anything.

The catholic church to some degree admits it so anyway.

You know, I've thought about this some. KC believes in determinism more or less (correct me if I'm wrong, KC). I have to admit that I have a little bit more respect for this type of faith compared to random "christianity". The Westboro lot included.

Is it still silly ungrounded superstition? Yes.

But if your going to believe in the god of abraham, you have to accept that he's a dick and he's going to save some and burn some just because that's who he is, and he doesn't really give a fuck about each and every one of us. The omnibenevolent schtick goes out the window if you take one good glance around this existence of ours.

It is a culture of fear that permeates these notions, but at least it's an honest fear. As much as I hate the westboro baptist cult, when it comes down to debating the bible, they can't be fucked with. They will tell you straight up how much of a petty, narcissistic asshole their god is. I think believing in determinism essentially says the same thing, you just have to really dissonate your cognizance in order to believe it and call your god "good".

Then again, I'm not sure that the Westboro lot calls their god good, but just. But I remember a song or two from my childhood claiming that justice is goodness. Circularness is next to godliness.

Pagan gods were never "omnibenevolent". They just were. It's a much more intellectually cohesive way of thinking about their existence. Polytheism makes much more sense.

I'm buzzed and digressing all over the place. Sorry, I promise I'll clean it up in the morning.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
21-10-2013, 01:03 PM
(20-10-2013 11:17 AM)onedream Wrote:  Yep. Still playing a Christian on the radio.

The role of a lifetime.

Really? Are you on the air or do you do something else? What all do you have to fake? I think I would have an extremely hard time at that, despite having been a Christian for 30 years.

(20-10-2013 11:29 AM)onedream Wrote:  While I'd get some personal satisfaction out of it, I fear it might scare off friends of mine who are currently on the fence.

Perhaps you could talk to them about "the hard questions" and pose a few of your own. It'd be the concern-troll of a lifetime:

[Image: concerned_trollcat.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-10-2013, 01:31 PM
This Is How I Know Religion Is False
(21-10-2013 01:03 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 11:17 AM)onedream Wrote:  Yep. Still playing a Christian on the radio.

The role of a lifetime.

Really? Are you on the air or do you do something else? What all do you have to fake? I think I would have an extremely hard time at that, despite having been a Christian for 30 years.

(20-10-2013 11:29 AM)onedream Wrote:  While I'd get some personal satisfaction out of it, I fear it might scare off friends of mine who are currently on the fence.

Perhaps you could talk to them about "the hard questions" and pose a few of your own. It'd be the concern-troll of a lifetime:

[Image: concerned_trollcat.jpg]

Concern troll!!!! LOL...love it.