This Is What Feminism Should Be About

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 11:59 PM
RE: This Is What Feminism Should Be About
(27-11-2014 11:50 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Funny.
I do have an issue with one of the actual aspects of feminism though. It the whole we shouldn't objectify women thing. At what level is it ok to objectify women? Could it be on the same level where women sometimes objectify men? That doesn't happen! Some might say but I would answer with a question. Did you ever go to a club where male strippers are? Have you ever noticed women's reactions.
Is Playboy degrading to women? If so is Playgirl degrading to men? How much of our nature tied up with objectification of others I wonder. I want to fuck a women simply because she's hot and there are many (perhaps most) men that would. Is that a form of objectification? What about women that want to fuck a guy because he's hot. Is that not the same thing?
There are TV ads that objectifies both men and women but is that really such a bad thing? Of course there are extreme examples that I'm sure most would agree are wrong but the day to day shit seems silly to me.
"That guy was checking me out! What a creep looking at my T and A like that"
What the fuck do you expect a straight male to do. For my part I've never been bothered by any woman checking me out and I doubt that many men would. Granted that women might feel threatened by a guy looking while a guy generally don't but what does that say? Is it a woman's nature to suspect all men as rapists? Could that be the root of their discomfort?
We objectify each other all the time so it's probably better to say that we shouldn't go overboard with it. I've no desire to own a woman (except between the sheets he he, it's ok the wife is into it) but where my eyes and mind goes is my business.
Anyway I don't have any answers...

I think I get what you're saying. Sure, I enjoy seeing a pretty girl as much as anyone else. I think... the meaning of *objectify* is that you forget to treat the person as a human being. You forget that they have their own thoughts and their own goals in life. You see them as an object. Objects do not have a right to opinions. If you buy a hair-dryer, you don't ask it when you use it, you just pick it up and use it. Objectifying a woman (or a man) is the same concept.

It's a bit difficult to explain I guess. As an example, imagine the girl I'm currently going out with asked me why I like her And I said "Well, you're pretty and I wanna have loadsa sex with you" - which I mean, that's the truth, or at least part of it. But she would be bummed 'cos that meant that her education and work and all the stuff that she was proud of meant nothing to me as long as she was hot - in other words, I was objectifying her - I saw her as an object to stick my dick into rather than as a person.

To not objectify someone is not to *deny* that their sexiness has an influence on you, but it is to recognize that they are a person over and above just being sexy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
28-11-2014, 09:13 AM
(27-11-2014 11:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 11:50 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Funny.
I do have an issue with one of the actual aspects of feminism though. It the whole we shouldn't objectify women thing. At what level is it ok to objectify women? Could it be on the same level where women sometimes objectify men? That doesn't happen! Some might say but I would answer with a question. Did you ever go to a club where male strippers are? Have you ever noticed women's reactions.
Is Playboy degrading to women? If so is Playgirl degrading to men? How much of our nature tied up with objectification of others I wonder. I want to fuck a women simply because she's hot and there are many (perhaps most) men that would. Is that a form of objectification? What about women that want to fuck a guy because he's hot. Is that not the same thing?
There are TV ads that objectifies both men and women but is that really such a bad thing? Of course there are extreme examples that I'm sure most would agree are wrong but the day to day shit seems silly to me.
"That guy was checking me out! What a creep looking at my T and A like that"
What the fuck do you expect a straight male to do. For my part I've never been bothered by any woman checking me out and I doubt that many men would. Granted that women might feel threatened by a guy looking while a guy generally don't but what does that say? Is it a woman's nature to suspect all men as rapists? Could that be the root of their discomfort?
We objectify each other all the time so it's probably better to say that we shouldn't go overboard with it. I've no desire to own a woman (except between the sheets he he, it's ok the wife is into it) but where my eyes and mind goes is my business.
Anyway I don't have any answers...

I think I get what you're saying. Sure, I enjoy seeing a pretty girl as much as anyone else. I think... the meaning of *objectify* is that you forget to treat the person as a human being. You forget that they have their own thoughts and their own goals in life. You see them as an object. Objects do not have a right to opinions. If you buy a hair-dryer, you don't ask it when you use it, you just pick it up and use it. Objectifying a woman (or a man) is the same concept.

It's a bit difficult to explain I guess. As an example, imagine the girl I'm currently going out with asked me why I like her And I said "Well, you're pretty and I wanna have loadsa sex with you" - which I mean, that's the truth, or at least part of it. But she would be bummed 'cos that meant that her education and work and all the stuff that she was proud of meant nothing to me as long as she was hot - in other words, I was objectifying her - I saw her as an object to stick my dick into rather than as a person.

To not objectify someone is not to *deny* that their sexiness has an influence on you, but it is to recognize that they are a person over and above just being sexy.
I get it. That makes sence..
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
28-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Re: RE: This Is What Feminism Should Be About
(26-11-2014 03:19 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  These are real feminists. You won't hear them complaining on tumblr or leading a charge against a tweet they don't like. They are fighting on the front lines for their nation. They are true patriots bringing about the freedom of all Kurds in general and Kurdish women in particular.

And the best part is the Islamists are fucking terrified of them, because their heads are stuck in their medieval asses and they think they that being killed by a woman will send them straight to Hell.
This reeks of two-faced politics. Pretend to support feminism when promoting Western imperialism, then fight it back at home.

What a load of crap. Those women may be doing good, but they're not fodder for your fight against women's rights at home.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like BanalityOfEvil's post
28-11-2014, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2014 06:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-11-2014 03:06 PM)BanalityOfEvil Wrote:  This reeks of two-faced politics. Pretend to support feminism when promoting Western imperialism, then fight it back at home.

What a load of crap. Those women may be doing good, but they're not fodder for your fight against women's rights at home.

In all fairness, he is Canadian. Where circumcision often results in castration 'cause the surgeon's hands are numb from the cold.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-11-2014, 07:56 PM
(28-11-2014 06:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 03:06 PM)BanalityOfEvil Wrote:  This reeks of two-faced politics. Pretend to support feminism when promoting Western imperialism, then fight it back at home.

In all fairness, he is Canadian. Where circumcision often results in castration 'cause the surgeon's hands are numb from the cold.

If I remember correctly he's more specifically a Newfoundlander so it more likely the surgeons hand was incredibly shaky from a horrible alcohol addiction. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
28-11-2014, 08:25 PM
(28-11-2014 07:56 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  If I remember correctly he's more specifically a Newfoundlander so it more likely the surgeons hand was incredibly shaky from a horrible alcohol addiction. Smile

For the Newfie surgeons, the cold actually steadies their hand.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-11-2014, 08:35 PM
(28-11-2014 08:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 07:56 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  If I remember correctly he's more specifically a Newfoundlander so it more likely the surgeons hand was incredibly shaky from a horrible alcohol addiction. Smile

For the Newfie surgeons, the cold actually steadies their hand.

Smile yes perhaps so.
29-11-2014, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2014 07:34 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(27-11-2014 08:48 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  At this moment, I am waiting for EK to appear so logical hilarity can ensue

I aim to please.

(27-11-2014 02:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well, more power to them.

What they're experiencing doesn't mean other feminist causes suddenly mean less though. If there's sexism in the workplace in America, the fact that there's war on the other side of the world doesn't change the fact that the sexism is wrong and should be countered.

Why shouldn't one be a feminist on tumblr or twitter? They're as much a public space as anywhere else.

Don't you see? Other feminist causes mean more, because Res doesn't like seeing women issues clogging up his slice of the internet and world space. He knows women have problems, but he doesn't want to hear about the ones that might affect him personally. This is why he's all for women way the fuck over there doing something, but he throws a shit fit if women are causing waves anywhere near anything he likes. Because female freedom fighters half a world away are far less likely to unfavorably critique video-games and shit.

Because, lets face it, when your relative barometer of female equality is ISIS and the Taliban, you can feel a whole hell of a lot less guilty about not doing anything to fix your own backyard.

It's the "Well, at least we're not as bad as them!" dodge. By this logic we shouldn't fix anything at all in North America until we can stop all war crimes everywhere ever, because at least we're not that bad! After all, that's what law enforcement should really be about!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-11-2014, 07:37 PM
(27-11-2014 06:30 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I thought it was mostly teenagers that used tumblr... Keep that in mind. Many of those posts are by teens with the life experience of a thumbtack.

I don't agree with misandry, either. This is what I've been gleaning from your posts as your point of contention. I googled it to see what you were talking about. Three of the first four blogs were anti feminism. The first was misandry hiding under the label of feminism.

I have no idea what it's like to be a woman in Canada - I've never been there. But I do know what it's like to be a woman in the southeastern US. Do I have it better than women in the Middle East? Absolutely. But there is still progress to be made. I could go into the gory details, but I really don't want to think about it, so I'll keep it brief. I have been mistreated (raped) by my male peers back when I was in school, and I have been mistreated (sexually harassed) by male coworkers - although it has been several years since the last work I incident and I haven't ever been harassed by a male nurse. I get paid less than my male counterparts. That's not a minor issue like being irritated that every fucking time I walk past a construction site I get whistled at.

If you think all there is to feminism is the freedom to drop a vote in the ballot box, you're seriously mistaken. I want equal pay for the work I perform. Not more than men, equal. If men en masse ever have to worry about getting groped, the modesty of their clothing to prevent said grope, and getting paid less than women, then we can stop talking about feminism and focus on male rights.

Your post is actually quite good, even if I do disagree with some of it. "Men's rights" is a lot of garbage, based off faulty logic and twisted facts; but so is third-wave "feminism".

I don't know what the statistics are for nursing, but the wage gap is for the most part a myth.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
29-11-2014, 07:42 PM
(29-11-2014 04:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 08:48 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  At this moment, I am waiting for EK to appear so logical hilarity can ensue

I aim to please.

(27-11-2014 02:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well, more power to them.

What they're experiencing doesn't mean other feminist causes suddenly mean less though. If there's sexism in the workplace in America, the fact that there's war on the other side of the world doesn't change the fact that the sexism is wrong and should be countered.

Why shouldn't one be a feminist on tumblr or twitter? They're as much a public space as anywhere else.

Don't you see? Other feminist causes mean more, because Res doesn't like seeing women issues clogging up his slice of the internet and world space. He knows women have problems, but he doesn't want to hear about the ones that might affect him personally. This is why he's all for women way the fuck over there doing something, but he throws a shit fit if women are causing waves anywhere near anything he likes. Because female freedom fighters half a world away are far less likely to unfavorably critique video-games and shit.

Because, lets face it, when your relative barometer of female equality is ISIS and the Taliban, you can feel a whole hell of a lot less guilty about not doing anything to fix your own backyard.

It's the "Well, at least we're not as bad as them!" dodge. By this logic we shouldn't fix anything at all in North America until we can stop all war crimes everywhere ever, because at least we're not that bad! After all, that's what law enforcement should really be about!

Humor seems to be your only redeeming quality.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!