This Is What Feminism Should Be About

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2014, 08:06 PM
RE: This Is What Feminism Should Be About
(29-11-2014 07:42 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 04:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I aim to please.

Don't you see? Other feminist causes mean more, because Res doesn't like seeing women issues clogging up his slice of the internet and world space. He knows women have problems, but he doesn't want to hear about the ones that might affect him personally. This is why he's all for women way the fuck over there doing something, but he throws a shit fit if women are causing waves anywhere near anything he likes. Because female freedom fighters half a world away are far less likely to unfavorably critique video-games and shit.

Because, lets face it, when your relative barometer of female equality is ISIS and the Taliban, you can feel a whole hell of a lot less guilty about not doing anything to fix your own backyard.

It's the "Well, at least we're not as bad as them!" dodge. By this logic we shouldn't fix anything at all in North America until we can stop all war crimes everywhere ever, because at least we're not that bad! After all, that's what law enforcement should really be about!

Humor seems to be your only redeeming quality.

And he is one smart motherfucker.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
29-11-2014, 10:07 PM
(29-11-2014 07:42 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Humor seems to be your only redeeming quality.

Well, I could have gone with factually vacuous bullshit, but you seem to have cornered the market on that.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-11-2014, 10:33 PM
(29-11-2014 07:37 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 06:30 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I thought it was mostly teenagers that used tumblr... Keep that in mind. Many of those posts are by teens with the life experience of a thumbtack.

I don't agree with misandry, either. This is what I've been gleaning from your posts as your point of contention. I googled it to see what you were talking about. Three of the first four blogs were anti feminism. The first was misandry hiding under the label of feminism.

I have no idea what it's like to be a woman in Canada - I've never been there. But I do know what it's like to be a woman in the southeastern US. Do I have it better than women in the Middle East? Absolutely. But there is still progress to be made. I could go into the gory details, but I really don't want to think about it, so I'll keep it brief. I have been mistreated (raped) by my male peers back when I was in school, and I have been mistreated (sexually harassed) by male coworkers - although it has been several years since the last work I incident and I haven't ever been harassed by a male nurse. I get paid less than my male counterparts. That's not a minor issue like being irritated that every fucking time I walk past a construction site I get whistled at.

If you think all there is to feminism is the freedom to drop a vote in the ballot box, you're seriously mistaken. I want equal pay for the work I perform. Not more than men, equal. If men en masse ever have to worry about getting groped, the modesty of their clothing to prevent said grope, and getting paid less than women, then we can stop talking about feminism and focus on male rights.

Your post is actually quite good, even if I do disagree with some of it. "Men's rights" is a lot of garbage, based off faulty logic and twisted facts; but so is third-wave "feminism".

I don't know what the statistics are for nursing, but the wage gap is for the most part a myth.

Female RNs earned 87.9% of the pay earned by male RNs per a report released in April 2014 with 2013 data
http://www.iwpr.org/publications/pubs/th...nload/file

2011 data from Wall Street Journal
[Image: OB-WM030_NURSES_E_20130225125833.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
29-11-2014, 11:00 PM
(29-11-2014 10:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 07:37 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Your post is actually quite good, even if I do disagree with some of it. "Men's rights" is a lot of garbage, based off faulty logic and twisted facts; but so is third-wave "feminism".

I don't know what the statistics are for nursing, but the wage gap is for the most part a myth.

Female RNs earned 87.9% of the pay earned by male RNs per a report released in April 2014 with 2013 data
http://www.iwpr.org/publications/pubs/th...nload/file

2011 data from Wall Street Journal
[Image: OB-WM030_NURSES_E_20130225125833.jpg]

I am guessing you can speak from experience as well?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
30-11-2014, 12:35 AM
(28-11-2014 09:13 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 11:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  ...
To not objectify someone is not to *deny* that their sexiness has an influence on you, but it is to recognize that they are a person over and above just being sexy.
I get it. That makes sence..

So, to summarise:
Objectify, bad; subjectify, good.

More specifically:
Objectifying a subject, bad.

And generally speaking, subjectifying an object... also bad ... as this leads to idolatry (and / or Disney cartoons).

These two prefixes (sub- and ob-) are often diametrically opposed.

Except perhaps as in objugation and subjugation which are coincidentally my ex-wife's greatest talents.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-11-2014, 03:57 AM
(29-11-2014 07:37 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I don't know what the statistics are for nursing, but the wage gap is for the most part a myth.

So you pick a profession which women are encouraged to go into, the caring profession.

Let's pick a male dominated profession shall we from which women are discouraged from entering.

Silicon Valley still home to two top gender pay gaps, 50 years after Equal Pay Act

Ph.D problems: Silicon Valley's gender pay gap worst for the most educated

Glassdoor report: The gender pay gap in tech is still a problem
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
30-11-2014, 09:28 AM
(30-11-2014 03:57 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 07:37 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I don't know what the statistics are for nursing, but the wage gap is for the most part a myth.

So you pick a profession which women are encouraged to go into, the caring profession.

Let's pick a male dominated profession shall we from which women are discouraged from entering.

Silicon Valley still home to two top gender pay gaps, 50 years after Equal Pay Act

Ph.D problems: Silicon Valley's gender pay gap worst for the most educated

Glassdoor report: The gender pay gap in tech is still a problem

I would like to see the actual data - nowhere is that presented, just some summaries and vague implications. Are the statistics on who manages venture capital and who starts companies actually germane to the issue? If they are, no connection was shown.

In my 30+ years experience in high tech management (East, not Silicon Valley) I have seen no gender pay gap. I keep hearing about it, but I haven't seen it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2014, 09:44 AM
I've personally not witnessed a gender pay gap at all. Every job I've ever had paid people pretty well fairly. Sure some people make less but that depended on tenure and performance. Now that I'm union everyone gets paid the same regardless. That's just my experience here in old Canuckville.
30-11-2014, 02:01 PM
(30-11-2014 12:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 09:13 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I get it. That makes sence..

So, to summarise:

More specifically:

And generally speaking, subjectifying an object... also bad ... as this leads to idolatry (and / or Disney cartoons).

Except perhaps as in objugation and subjugation which are coincidentally my ex-wife's greatest talents.

Dodgy

I got fuck-all clue what you're on about, but it sounds clever so I liked it to pretend that I know what you're talking about and am therefore also clever... this plan may backfire...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
30-11-2014, 02:11 PM
(30-11-2014 02:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 12:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So, to summarise:

More specifically:

Dodgy

I got fuck-all clue what you're on about, but it sounds clever so I liked it to pretend that I know what you're talking about and am therefore also clever... this plan may backfire...

It's easy to pretend fluency in Gobbledygook. Just throw in stuff like "globally promote multidisciplinary manufactured products" and
"monotonectally fabricate reliable growth strategies" or "distinctively communicate resource sucking e-services". Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post