This Is What Feminism Should Be About

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 02:21 PM
RE: This Is What Feminism Should Be About
(26-11-2014 03:19 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  These are real feminists. You won't hear them complaining on tumblr or leading a charge against a tweet they don't like. They are fighting on the front lines for their nation. They are true patriots bringing about the freedom of all Kurds in general and Kurdish women in particular.

And the best part is the Islamists are fucking terrified of them, because their heads are stuck in their medieval asses and they think they that being killed by a woman will send them straight to Hell.

I think you are confusing patriotism with feminism.
Fighting physically for a cause may reflect male domination rather than any self fulfillment, relating to sexual inequality.
The reverse may be seen in aspects of Islam, as well as other religions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 02:27 PM
(27-11-2014 02:07 PM)BnW Wrote:  What is the obsession with feminism on this forum? Seems like there is a topic on it monthly, and usually it goes off on issue that has fuck all to do with feminism.

I suspect it's when teenage boys, perpetually driven by their hormones, get turned down once again by girls that they fancy because they're being 'too intense', or because rather than talk to them like fellow human beings they tried manipulating them using methods like negging or deliberately copying their movements in a dance club.

They then come on here and rant about feminism to alleviate some of their sexual frustration.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
30-11-2014, 03:44 PM
(30-11-2014 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's easy to pretend fluency in Gobbledygook. Just throw in stuff like "globally promote multidisciplinary manufactured products" and
"monotonectally fabricate reliable growth strategies" or "distinctively communicate resource sucking e-services". Thumbsup

This reminds me of the famous book by Snow White, "The Seven habits of highly vertically challenged people"...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Question.
Why is there girl version of "boys toys" but no boy version of "girls toys"?
Why is it ok for a girl to run around with a nerf gun but heaven forbid a boy play with a barbie?

It seems to me that we like our boys to be boys and our girls to be either girls or boys but not our boys to be girls (if you get what I'm saying). Where's the gender equality in that?

Just an observation, carry on.
01-12-2014, 03:39 AM
(30-11-2014 09:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Question.
Why is it ok for a girl to run around with a nerf gun but heaven forbid a boy play with a barbie?

It seems to me that we like our boys to be boys and our girls to be either girls or boys but not our boys to be girls (if you get what I'm saying). Where's the gender equality in that?

Most boys (or men) I know have at least at some point played with girls' toys, dressed up as a girl or pretended to be a girl for fun (with make up, jewelry and all).

I also believe that Action Man and G.I. Joe where actually a boy's Barbie.

I also wanted cars when I was little but no one bought them for me.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
01-12-2014, 03:54 AM
(01-12-2014 03:39 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I also wanted cars when I was little but no one bought them for me.

All I wanted was dancing girls... but no one bought them for me Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-12-2014, 04:35 AM
(01-12-2014 03:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 03:39 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I also wanted cars when I was little but no one bought them for me.

All I wanted was dancing girls... but no one bought them for me Weeping

Because that would be slavery...

And that would be wrong...

Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
01-12-2014, 04:40 AM

Actually gender inequality affects both boys and girls equally in terms of toys. Girls get crappy home making toys whereas all the decent toys that might inspire the child towards a better career are marketed for boys. Toys like science kits, robot kits. Even stuff like Lego can often be stored in the boys section. Normally they pink it and shrink it for girls.
01-12-2014, 05:26 AM
(01-12-2014 04:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Actually gender inequality affects both boys and girls equally in terms of toys. Girls get crappy home making toys whereas all the decent toys that might inspire the child towards a better career are marketed for boys. Toys like science kits, robot kits. Even stuff like Lego can often be stored in the boys section. Normally they pink it and shrink it for girls.

That always irked me about LEGO's. They're plastic building blocks, which in and of themselves are about as androgynous as you can get, and the average set is often pretty gender neutral. But there have always been on-and-off again series aimed specifically for girls and coated in enough pastels to make you want to vomit. More options are better than less I suppose, but if a girls wants LEGO Marvel superheroes, Technic, or a Mindstorm set instead of the LEGO Friends in pastels?

Bottom line: Get the kid what they want, not what you think they should want.

[Image: lego-friends-olivias-house.jpg]

If your kid enjoys building and pretend doll houses, it's a nice mix.

[Image: Lego-technic-8053-4.jpg]

But there's nothing wrong with the 1-20th scale functional crane truck replica either.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-12-2014, 06:42 AM
(01-12-2014 03:39 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  

Most boys (or men) I know have at least at some point played with girls' toys, dressed up as a girl or pretended to be a girl for fun (with make up, jewelry and all).

I also believe that Action Man and G.I. Joe where actually a boy's Barbie.

I also wanted cars when I was little but no one bought them for me.

I never did any of that. And besides, that's not the point. The point is that that kind of behavior would be stopped, where as a girl playing with a nerf gun would not.

And about Action Man and G.I. Joe, they're called "action figures" because girls toys are "dolls" and they had to be differentiated because to call them a doll is considered an insult. Now I don't know if that's gender inequality towards boys or girls or both, I'm gonna go with both.
The point about G.I. Joe is though that it is completely different toy. It's marketed as G.I. Joe or Action Man where as Barbie is marketed as Barbie. My point is that there is no toy under the Barbie brand that is aimed at boys where as there are girl toys under "boys toys" brands, such as nerf or maybe even lego (which would traditionally be considered a boys toy), that are marketed towards girls.

It seems that all the toys that now market to both genders started only marketing to boys but there are no toys that now market to both that started marketing to girls.

Quote:Actually gender inequality affects both boys and girls equally in terms of toys. Girls get crappy home making toys whereas all the decent toys that might inspire the child towards a better career are marketed for boys. Toys like science kits, robot kits. Even stuff like Lego can often be stored in the boys section. Normally they pink it and shrink it for girls.

That's a fair comment actually. Most of the girls toys down the "pink" aisle at work are "home orientated" toys. Little kitchen sets, baby dolls. However there are things like toy tool sets in the boys section. And girls do have other things such as princess stuff where as boys have like superhero stuff. Though I suppose that's sort of "damsel in distress/Knight in shining armor" sort of thing... Jesus, no wonder the worlds fucked up if this is how kids are brought up. We teach them all throughout childhood that pink = girl, blue = boy, princess = girl, superhero = boy, easy bake oven = girl, dump truck = boy and than when they get old enough it's all "everyone's equal". Talk about conflicting messages...

Quote:That always irked me about LEGO's. They're plastic building blocks, which in and of themselves are about as androgynous as you can get, and the average set is often pretty gender neutral.

I dunno, growing up they were all pretty aimed at boys.
Especially all the lego stuff that was the more "advanced lego" like bionicals and technic etc.. This Lego Friends pink stuff is fairly new (by new I mean in recent years, certainly wasn't around when I collected lego).