This Is What Feminism Should Be About

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 09:49 AM
RE: This Is What Feminism Should Be About
(01-12-2014 06:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:That always irked me about LEGO's. They're plastic building blocks, which in and of themselves are about as androgynous as you can get, and the average set is often pretty gender neutral.
I dunno, growing up they were all pretty aimed at boys.
Especially all the lego stuff that was the more "advanced lego" like bionicals and technic etc.. This Lego Friends pink stuff is fairly new (by new I mean in recent years, certainly wasn't around when I collected lego).

That's just it muffs, they're a toy that fosters imagination; and imaginations aren't gender limited. There is nothing to stop a girl from taking the pieces from a medieval or race car LEGO set and building whatever they want out of it, without needing to be pigeonholed into purposely marketed pastel doll houses.

Also, I would never consider their Bionical sets as anywhere near 'advanced'. On the contrary, they had some of the highest ratio of one-off-purpose-built-unique to generic brick/piece ratios ever, which made them very underwhelming for building anything but other Bionical-like things.

Hell, just get the kid a generic assortment tub, let them watch the LEGO Movie, and then let them go to town on their own.

[Image: 51ScIMoQgbL._SX425_.jpg]

But seriously, if you haven't already seen the LEGO Movie, fix that shit pronto.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
(30-11-2014 02:27 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(27-11-2014 02:07 PM)BnW Wrote:  What is the obsession with feminism on this forum? Seems like there is a topic on it monthly, and usually it goes off on issue that has fuck all to do with feminism.

I suspect it's when teenage boys, perpetually driven by their hormones, get turned down once again by girls that they fancy because they're being 'too intense', or because rather than talk to them like fellow human beings they tried manipulating them using methods like negging or deliberately copying their movements in a dance club.

They then come on here and rant about feminism to alleviate some of their sexual frustration.

"I always think it's a sign of victory when they move on to the ad hominem." -Christopher Hitchens

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
01-12-2014, 10:07 AM
(01-12-2014 10:05 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  "I always think it's a sign of victory when they move on to the ad hominem." -Christopher Hitchens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Quote:means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments

I'm not responding to your argument. I'm just insulting you for being a twat.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
01-12-2014, 10:21 AM
(30-11-2014 02:21 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 03:19 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  These are real feminists. You won't hear them complaining on tumblr or leading a charge against a tweet they don't like. They are fighting on the front lines for their nation. They are true patriots bringing about the freedom of all Kurds in general and Kurdish women in particular.

And the best part is the Islamists are fucking terrified of them, because their heads are stuck in their medieval asses and they think they that being killed by a woman will send them straight to Hell.

I think you are confusing patriotism with feminism.
Fighting physically for a cause may reflect male domination rather than any self fulfillment, relating to sexual inequality.
The reverse may be seen in aspects of Islam, as well as other religions.

Feminism and patriotism are not mutually exclusive. These Kurdish women are both. Nationalists and patriots are in favor of women's rights because bringing women into the economic, social and cultural sphere is to the benefit of everyone. Naturally nations that do this will gain a huge advantage because this doubles the productive individuals in a nation. A good example of this would be Israel and the Arabs. Ayn Rand explained this quite well; "If you mean whose side one should be on, Israel or the Arabs, I would certainly say Israel because it’s the advanced, technological, civilized country amidst a group of almost totally primitive savages who have not changed for years and who are racist and who resent Israel because it’s bringing industry, intelligence, and modern technology into their stagnation."

The sad reality about third-wave "feminism" is that it is women who are the true victims. Third-wave "feminism" robs women of their individuality and instead replaces it with a unified and collective political ideology which women either accept or are suffering from "internalized oppression" (just look at campaigns like "Yes All Women" and the reaction to "Women Against Feminism" where "feminists" called it "disappointing" and seemed to take it as treason that women would not support their ideology). Third-wave "feminism" isn't a fringe movement either, it has managed to usurp feminism and push all opposing voices to the side (such as Christina Hoff Sommers and Camille Paglia); labeling them "anti-feminist". A movement that is supposed to stand for women's equality now pushes an extremist and totalitarian agenda, and naturally creates backlash. It is inevitable that such backlash will bring an end to third-wave "feminism" and the once great name of feminism will be permanently scarred. Third-wave "feminism"'s fall will leave us without a women's movement, and I believe that the lack of such a movement will have profoundly negative effects on our society.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
(01-12-2014 10:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:05 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  "I always think it's a sign of victory when they move on to the ad hominem." -Christopher Hitchens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Quote:means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments

Yes, and attacking my character is exactly what you are doing. Don't play stupid, you are clearly making such attacks in response to my arguments.

01-12-2014, 10:57 AM
(01-12-2014 10:25 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Yes, and attacking my character is exactly what you are doing. Don't play stupid, you are clearly making such attacks in response to my arguments.

No, these were my responses to your argument (which you haven't replied to)

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid692134

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid693589

I'm not going to bother giving your argument more attention than it deserves. But that doesn't mean that I can't continue to insult you for being a twat.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
01-12-2014, 11:31 AM
(01-12-2014 10:25 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Yes, and attacking my character is exactly what you are doing. Don't play stupid, you are clearly making such attacks in response to my arguments.

You're a fucking idiot Res. Facepalm

Ad hominem is when you attack someone's character in place of responding to their argument. What we've been doing is insulting you in addition to responding to your arguments. Or just plain insulting you, there is that too.

For example, this is an ad hominem.

Res - Gamergate is really about integrity in game journalism!

EK - Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

For contrast, this is not an ad hominem.

Res - Gamergate is really about integrity in game journalism!

EK - That is patently absurd because if the genders had been reversed, this would have been a non story; in addition to the fact that a single indie developer has orders of magnitude less influence because of their lack of funds vis-à-vis major publishers with million dollar marketing budgets and shareholder obligations. Anyone truly worried about integrity would not be attaching their cart to this horse in light of the death threats, slut-shaming, personal attacks, etc. Also, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-12-2014, 01:54 PM

The thing is though is that a question was asked "What's the obsession with feminism on this board?"
That question was answered with an opinion. So it seems that the "attack" was not a response to your arguments but a response to the question asked by a person that's not you.
Was it an attack on you? Sure.
Was it a response to your argument? No.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
01-12-2014, 02:41 PM

"Your argument sucks because you're a twat" is committing an ad hominem fallacy.

"Your argument sucks and you're a twat" is not. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
01-12-2014, 03:50 PM
(01-12-2014 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  "Your argument sucks and you're a twat" is not. Drinking Beverage

And thus, by the harsh light of implacable logic, Res was proven to be a twat. And there was great rejoicing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post