This Is What Feminism Should Be About

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 03:58 PM
RE: This Is What Feminism Should Be About
(01-12-2014 03:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  "Your argument sucks and you're a twat" is not. Drinking Beverage

And thus, by the harsh light of implacable logic, Res was proven to be a twat. And there was great rejoicing.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post
01-12-2014, 04:19 PM
(01-12-2014 09:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 06:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I dunno, growing up they were all pretty aimed at boys.
Especially all the lego stuff that was the more "advanced lego" like bionicals and technic etc.. This Lego Friends pink stuff is fairly new (by new I mean in recent years, certainly wasn't around when I collected lego).

That's just it muffs, they're a toy that fosters imagination; and imaginations aren't gender limited. There is nothing to stop a girl from taking the pieces from a medieval or race car LEGO set and building whatever they want out of it, without needing to be pigeonholed into purposely marketed pastel doll houses.

Also, I would never consider their Bionical sets as anywhere near 'advanced'. On the contrary, they had some of the highest ratio of one-off-purpose-built-unique to generic brick/piece ratios ever, which made them very underwhelming for building anything but other Bionical-like things.

Hell, just get the kid a generic assortment tub, let them watch the LEGO Movie, and then let them go to town on their own.

[Image: 51ScIMoQgbL._SX425_.jpg]

But seriously, if you haven't already seen the LEGO Movie, fix that shit pronto.

I wouldn't call it advanced ether but you know what I mean, it's more than just a 6x2 brick.

And yea it does let the imagination flow but the boxes were still all aimed at boys.

It's getting away from my original point however that girls could play with lego where as boys couldn't play with barbies. The point that we like our boys to be boys but our girls can be either boys or girls (in regards to what toys they play with and how they behave etc..).
01-12-2014, 10:09 PM
(01-12-2014 04:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 09:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That's just it muffs, they're a toy that fosters imagination; and imaginations aren't gender limited. There is nothing to stop a girl from taking the pieces from a medieval or race car LEGO set and building whatever they want out of it, without needing to be pigeonholed into purposely marketed pastel doll houses.

Also, I would never consider their Bionical sets as anywhere near 'advanced'. On the contrary, they had some of the highest ratio of one-off-purpose-built-unique to generic brick/piece ratios ever, which made them very underwhelming for building anything but other Bionical-like things.

Hell, just get the kid a generic assortment tub, let them watch the LEGO Movie, and then let them go to town on their own.

But seriously, if you haven't already seen the LEGO Movie, fix that shit pronto.

I wouldn't call it advanced ether but you know what I mean, it's more than just a 6x2 brick.

And yea it does let the imagination flow but the boxes were still all aimed at boys.

It's getting away from my original point however that girls could play with lego where as boys couldn't play with barbies. The point that we like our boys to be boys but our girls can be either boys or girls (in regards to what toys they play with and how they behave etc..).

I wonder if this also ties in to why bisexuality seems to be more socially acceptable for women than men. Because a woman who's cool with a 3-way is awesome, but a guy who likes a side of the D doesn't get the same level of praise.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
01-12-2014, 10:41 PM
^My understanding is that's a result of a presumed male gaze. A man who may want to have sex with you isn't nessercerily a problem but SWM18-35 is presumed to not be interested in them in response.

If a nebulous, non-acusiatory "they" are selling a fantasy then a lesbian or bisexual woman in that fantasy isn't "she's either not interested or not available," it's "Oh Goodie. There's two of them."

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
01-12-2014, 11:08 PM
(01-12-2014 09:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 06:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I dunno, growing up they were all pretty aimed at boys.
Especially all the lego stuff that was the more "advanced lego" like bionicals and technic etc.. This Lego Friends pink stuff is fairly new (by new I mean in recent years, certainly wasn't around when I collected lego).

That's just it muffs, they're a toy that fosters imagination; and imaginations aren't gender limited. There is nothing to stop a girl from taking the pieces from a medieval or race car LEGO set and building whatever they want out of it, without needing to be pigeonholed into purposely marketed pastel doll houses.

To be fair to Lego (and Barbie and all kinds of 'feminine' toys), those products typically are marketed towards girls because they sell due to the fact that the gender roles in society was already imprinted long before the toys were bought. Of course, that can be influenced somewhat by having 'girl' products with more outreach beyond, "Hey I've got a thin body, a cute boyfriend, several of my girlfriends, and we are going out to parteh." And to counter my point, they sometimes don't and actually show them not doing well outside of that female gender role context. For example, "I can be a computer engineer Barbie" has some sexist overtones when males jump in to do what Barbie can't do. In geek culture, it's turned into a bit of a meme with some people creating stories based on the scenes given.

[Image: 1c5.png]

Mattel did take down the product from Amazon, though.

All in all, female-marketed kid toys boils down to this: It's Complicated™.
[+] 4 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post